PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Madness! LW and DFX tuts!

WilliamVaughan
08-26-2003, 10:45 AM
For those of you considering the LightWave 3D/DFX+ special offer, if you'd like to know more about DFX+ and how it can contribute to your production and animation workflow, NewTek now has a sequence of video tutorials online for download. These tutorials are in Quicktime format, and provide over an hour of training on DFX+, including using DFX+ for multipass rendering with LightWave 3D.

To Download the Tutorials link to: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=10102

Stranahan
08-28-2003, 06:29 AM
And more tutorials are on the way....keying with DFX+ and more...

Keep watching this space.

(Well, not THIS space. A space below this one, and possibly slightly to the left.)

Stranahan
08-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Here's one new one - keying with the DFX+ keyer, plus using resize, transform, and grain...

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/Keying.mov

QuickTime format, about 30 megs, and viewed best on an least a 1280 x 1024 monitor...

Stranahan
08-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Here's one new one - keying with the DFX+ keyer, plus using resize, transform, and grain...

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/Keying.mov

This video is about 20 minutes long - it's in QuickTime format, about 30 megs, and viewed best on an least a 1280 x 1024 monitor...

big back comics
08-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey Lee:

These tutorials are great! A friend of mine has a dps velocity system that came with Fusion and as do most initially he (and I) found the Fusion interface a tade intimidating. Until I watched your videos that is.

Now I am showing him all the basics and he thinks I am some kinda of natural:D Ok, Ok, I told him where to find the tutorial videos after I was done amazing him. So I had a few moments in the spotlight at your expense.

After seeing what Fusion can do, I think I am sold on the upgrade to Lightwave 8 and DFX+.

Now all I have to do is convince my wife that purchasing the upgrade is a matter of family importance.

Thanks,

Stranahan
08-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey Jeremy,

Thanks very much for the nice comments. Glad you found the tutorials useful. There will be more coming soon... this deal ends in about 2 weeks, and everyone at NewTek wants to try and help people really understand what a tremendous deal this is..

One thing a lot of LightWave owners ask is, "How will this fit into my LightWave workflow?" This is a natural question, but I have an answer that might seem a little bit strange at first. My response is that it's the wrong approach - they key is understanding how LightWave fits into your Fusion workflow.

No - I'm not saying Fusion is 'better' than LightWave. I'm saying that a compositing package really, in a sense, can become the center of your workflow. That's a proper place, since it brings elements together.

If you look at it that way, LightWave is an 'element creator' extraordinaire. You build the elements in LightWave, shoot them on video, create them in Photoshop, make them in Particle Illusion, or whatever - then Fusion (or any compositing package, really) helps you bring them altogether.

kevman3d
08-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Lee

I was inspired by your demos of DFX at the LW World tour that I just had to have a play - so I downloaded the DFX demo!

Very cool and a lot of fun! I recommend anyone who doesn't have DFX or DFX+ to order that L[8] and DFX+ deal, or to go and download the demo just to play with anyway at www.eyeonline.com - Its worth it just to get to grips with this cool tool!

Couple it with Lee's excellent training material and you'll be a guru in no time! :)

I'm not saying Fusion is 'better' than LightWave. I'm saying that a compositing package really, in a sense, can become the center of your workflow. That's a proper place, since it brings elements together.
Too true! :D

Using a video of a desert I made in LW, I used the 'transform' tool to zoom in and key it moving across the screen, then merged in a moving Fast Noise - I was able to belt out a an animated dust-cloud desert scene in no time, and it actually looked quite good as well!

Now, I could have done that in LW - Though I would have probably had to render out the fractal noise separately and recomped it somewhere anyway, or I could have rendered it onto a poly in front of the camera - But of course any tweaks would have meant a re-render of the scene...

Fusions preview windows for the node output are pretty fast, so I could see the updates of changes to the Fractal noise effect in realtime. This made tweaking easy and quick...

BTW, DF's demo watermarks are um, well, interestingly *large* and animated! Wonder if the demo's also time-limited? :) lol!

I'll go and download that new tute shortly - Keep those great tutes pumping out, Lee! Its all good stuff! :)

jin choung
08-31-2003, 02:20 AM
also,

everybody should take a gander at the SMARTGONS align/orient tutorial posted there - it's worth its weight in gold.

most of the time, even though alignment & orientation is rightly the province of layout and not modeler, we fudge it and it works.

but, when you want to do some really detailed model where you need to maintain maximum flexibility at all times - you absolutely, positively want to keep your components ORTHOGONAL in modeler and align & orient in layout.

for the purposes of remodeling and retexturing, keeping the component orthogonal in modeler is absolutely essential.

i think that it's a huge remission on newtek's part by not making the a&o process a layout centric endeavor and have not provided tools exclusively for that purpose.

but, as is usual for lw, we are given JUST ENOUGH to create WORK-AROUNDS that will do ya.

in this case, the workaround is provided by the intrepid author of the smartgon tut.

it is conceivable that an lscript can be created that utilizes smartgons for the express purpose of a&o but newtek really should get on it and create such a tool.

jin

comanche
08-31-2003, 03:46 AM
Lee, thanks for your afford!

Keep them coming :)

Cheers,
Andreas

Jimzip
08-31-2003, 05:39 AM
Cool.. Still wish I could get DFX.. :(

Nice to see you in the forums Lee, and thanks for the link Proton! I had a look but my download limit's up for this month :D so no movies for me until 12:01AM tonight! (Damn Telstra.. :mad: ).

Ah, the sweet smell of Lightwave 8 is in the air, soon, soon..
(Hmm, don't know exactly where I was going with that one, but eh.) Very excited I am, even if there is no DFX shipping with my order.

Jimzip :D

edit: Oh! And those of you on PC's, you don't know how lucky you are, GET THE PACKAGE QUICKLY!! You don't have any idea how cool this deal is.

Stranahan
08-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Jim,

You should still be GETTING DFX+ even though it doesn't run on the Mac...

But - seriously - with the money you're saving, pick up a PC to run DFX and you're STILL saving money over Shake...sad, but true.

Chuck
08-31-2003, 06:52 AM
Quick note on that last suggestion: The special offer version of DFX+ does not come with a separate hardware key, it is intended to key to your LightWave hardware key. If you are a Mac owner and wish to purchase the special offer and run DFX+ sperately from your LW License on a PC you can do so however. When you receive the DFX+ package, contact eyeon Sales and they will sell you a hardware key for $99. PC owners who wish to run the DFX+ license on another machine separate from their LW license need to note that they can also do this IF they have not registered and activated the license keyed to the LW dongle.

Stranahan
08-31-2003, 06:53 AM
How does the duo-dongle effect that, Chuck?

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Another new DFX+ tutorial posted...

This one shows compositing a sky image in the background of a Lightwave created scene - but really, it's more about the principles of how depth merge works, working with RPA / RPF, saving tool presets, configuring the DFX+ interface, and other useful general techniques.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/Adding_Sky.mov

11.5 minutes long, about an 18 meg DL in QuickTime format.

Simon
09-01-2003, 12:58 AM
These are all excellent Lee! I've learned loads from them ...

Barred
09-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the links Lee and Proton. Unfortunatly I cannot down load them, I keep getting a page timed out for some reason. Would it be possible to have a mirrior on the NT-Europe site as well please.

SteveM
09-01-2003, 04:08 AM
Strange, mine did come with a separate parallel dongle and I did not pay anything extra. (Not that I am complaining however)

The special offer version of DFX+ does not come with a separate hardware key, it is intended to key to your LightWave hardware key. If you are a Mac owner and wish to purchase the special offer and run DFX+ sperately from your LW License on a PC you can do so however.

js33
09-01-2003, 05:53 AM
The early batches came with the parallel dongle.
I got one of the those as well. :D

Cheers,
JS

SteveM
09-01-2003, 05:56 AM
cool!

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 09:34 AM
A mirror on NT_Europe would be awesome...

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 02:27 PM
New Tutorial Posted....

3rd Party For Fusion / DFX+ & Macros (Fusion Only)
This one covers a really awesome feature - the ability to create Macros. (Thanks for Rony Soussan of eyeon for showing me this feature!!) It also talks a little about the third party plug-ins available for DFX+ / Fusion, and uses one of the Krokodove plugs.

Note : The macro feature is not available in DFX+, but in the full version of Digital Fusion

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/3rdPary_Macros.mov

Time : 9.5 minutes. Size : About 17 Megs, QuickTime format.

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Yes....ANOTHER New Tutorial Posted....

Blur And Defocus Tools in DFX+ / Fusion
Explains many of the functions of the Blur tool, and shows how the Blur and Defocus tools differ. Important information that all visual effects artists should understand.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/Blur_Defocus.mov

Time : 7 minutes. Size : About 12 Megs, QuickTime format.

robinson
09-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks Lee greatr little tutorials.
Do you show different DF stuff in Amsterdam ?:)

Hehe, check your emails !!!

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 08:57 PM
RE: Amsterdam Fusion Stuff : Some of it may be the same, some will be different....there's stuff that is important to cover, so I cover it.

comanche
09-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Lee, there is no ability to create macros in DFX+ (oh how I wish there would be!!!!) like you have mentioned in the video - it's a DF feature only.

Thanks for the great videos again.

Cheers,
Andreas

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Ack! Sorry....

I wonder if it's included with one of modules. I'll ask eyeon about this, although any input from anyone who knows is obviously welcome

comanche
09-02-2003, 11:45 AM
It's not in one of the modules, unfortunately. I have all modules (except netrenderer) on my machine. Well, the good news about macros in DFX+ is that you can use them. So any macro created in DF can be shared with DFX+ users, because you can LOAD macros in DFX+.

Maybe eyeon will add this feature in a future version of DFX? *g* At least it would be cool to offer it optionally. I like the idea of creating macros. So much power, so easy to reuse!

Cheers,
Andreas

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks again, Comanche...

I've updated the description to correct the error.

Zach
10-31-2003, 02:42 PM
The site seems to be down. Will it be back up soon?

Stranahan
10-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Which site? All my sites are working, including LearnLightWave.com and Learningstop.com ...

Zach
10-31-2003, 02:52 PM
whoops sorry!

I suppose an address would help!

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/

plus the link to some of the Lightwave demo videos is down too.

eggy
10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
there you go.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=69285#post69285

cdeutekom
10-31-2003, 04:33 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There will be more coming soon... this deal ends in about 2 weeks, and everyone at NewTek wants to try and help people really understand what a tremendous deal this is..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe i am reading more into this than I should. But if this deal is suppose to run till the release of Lightwave[8]. And it ends in about 2 weeks. Does that mean that Lightwave[8] is about 2 weeks away. On a hope and a prayer. I'll keep my fingers crossed in the mean time

--Craig

eggy
10-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by cdeutekom
quote:
There will be more coming soon... this deal ends in about 2 weeks, and everyone at NewTek wants to try and help people really understand what a tremendous deal this is..

Maybe i am reading more into this than I should. But if this deal is suppose to run till the release of Lightwave[8]. And it ends in about 2 weeks. Does that mean that Lightwave[8] is about 2 weeks away. On a hope and a prayer. I'll keep my fingers crossed in the mean time

--Craig

damn, Lightwave 8 is already released ?

Sorry Craig, I don't think so, you mixed a few things up, Lee posted this message on august 31st at 2:25 am (08-31-2003 02:25 AM) and there are no real news so far !

Zach
10-31-2003, 05:06 PM
Does that link include the keying demo lee put up on his site too, eggy?

Stranahan
10-31-2003, 05:35 PM
I don't see it on there - I'll send it to Mike Guerra later tonight to post if he wants to...

bloontz
10-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Could you send him the Adding Sky and Blur/Defocus ones too, or can I find em somewhere else? Just got DFX+ and your tuts are really helpful!!!

Thanks

erich
10-31-2003, 09:51 PM
I get a page cannot be displayed message when clicking on the new tutorial links:

http://www.learnlightwave.com/DFX_demo_videos/

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a mirror yet?

Thanks

Stranahan
10-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Sorry - that's down off my site (learnlightwave) but most of them are at the NewTek site above. Also, 3D Fight Club may have a mirror.

Bones_3DFC
11-01-2003, 06:26 AM
http://www.3dfightclub.com/newtek/tutorials/

:)

erich
11-01-2003, 08:01 AM
Well I checked both the 3dfightclub and newtek websites and I don't see any of the new vids (keying.mov, Defocus.mov, and Adding Sky.mov). Am I blind?

Thanks

Kvaalen
11-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by erich
Well I checked both the 3dfightclub and newtek websites and I don't see any of the new vids (keying.mov, Defocus.mov, and Adding Sky.mov). Am I blind?

Thanks

The keying one can be found here:

http://www.stefanbrink.de/tutorials/fusion.php

It's the Europe mirror though.

Zach
11-02-2003, 04:13 AM
Great!
Thanx!

I3D
11-03-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi Stranahan

I've missed these video that you made. any chance of getting them back online?

Thanks i advance

I3D

pauland
11-03-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by I3D
I've missed these video that you made. any chance of getting them back online?

Try looking a couple of posts back up, you know you can do it..

I3D
11-03-2003, 04:48 AM
well pauland I did try that, but the link to learning lightwave is dead. that's why I'm posting :)

Cheers

I3D

pauland
11-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by I3D
well pauland I did try that, but the link to learning lightwave is dead. that's why I'm posting :)

Cheers

I3D

Err. yes,but:

As posted by Kvaalen, few posts above your enquiry.

"The keying one can be found here:

http://www.stefanbrink.de/tutorials/fusion.php

It's the Europe mirror though."

Paul

I3D
11-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks man,

but I already saw that one to :) I already have those except for the rest of the MOV files that were hosted on LearningLightwave.com, you know the sky and macro etc...

Anychance for a lost mirror?

Thanks in advance

I3D

nt65
11-05-2003, 07:11 PM
I also cant get to it either
The link is definitely dead.