PDA

View Full Version : Help: Hardware configuration for LW

Silvia_Petre
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just starting on LightWave.
I am about to buy a computer for my Lightwave, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator (and if my animation skills improve, Adobe Premiere and After Effects) work and I wonder if anyone here could help me with some hardware suggestions as people in the computer shops here never heard of LightWave.

From what I heard, for 3D I should get the best/fastest CPU possible so right now I am thinking about this configuration:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
Motherboard: Asus P6T WS Professional
Memory: Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL8 XMS3 DHX Triple Channel Kit
Hard disk: Samsung 1 TB SATA-II 7200RPM 32MB Spinpoint F DT

Now about the video card, I've been trying to find out which one is better for LIghtWave but in all my searches online, all I can find are reviews about the best video cards for games.
I thought if they are good for 3D games then they may be good for LW. Sorry if this conclusion seems silly but as I said, I have barely started studying LW.
So I was thinking about these video-cards:

MSI GeForce GTX 285 OC SuperPipe 2GB DDR3 512-bit
MSI GeForce GTX 285 OC SuperPipe 1GB DDR3 512-bit
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4850X2 2GB DDR3 2x 256-bit
Sapphire Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5 256-bit

Are any of these good for work with LightWave?
Are they too much or too little?
Which one would be best?

How about the rest of the configuration? Is it ok? Too much? Too little?
Should I change anything?

About the memory, it says "latency 8ms" is this ok? I've found the same type of memory (Corsair) with latency 7ms, which are a little more expensive and some other that are even 5ms.
Which ones are better?
Is 6GB of memory enough? Should I ask for 12?

And what about the power source? How much power would a configuration like this need?

Also keep in mind that I am from Romania and if you suggest something too hi-tech or too specialized I may not be able to find here.
Sorry for the long post and too many questions.

Silvia.

Silvia_Petre
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
No one? :stumped:

Was it a taboo question? Or off-topic?

Can someone point me to where can I find information about this?

Silvia_Petre
08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
84 views and no posts?
Thank you for the help, people.

Silvia_Petre
08-12-2009, 03:34 AM
The base components look good. 6 GB RAM should be fine depending on what you do, but I would go for 12 GB. Don't worry too much about the latency unless you really want to geek out.

Get a GTX 285 graphics card with as much memory as you're willing to pay for. Just forget about the ATI cards for 3D work. nVidia offers far more features, such as CUDA and their drivers are rock solid.

As for the power I'm not sure, but I would get at least 800W with lots of amps of the 12V rails. Never save money on the PSU, it is the most important component for system longevity and stability.

Even though it's overkill in terms of Watts I'm using a 850W PSU in my own PC, since it has good 12V rails to feed a graphics card and multiple drives.

Don't forget to get a 64-bit OS. Either get a temp Windows 7 x64 license until it ships or get Vista x64 which is a great workstation environment.

Thank you, neverko.

Unfortunately I've already sent the order for the computer this morning.
I decided to go with the MSI GTX285 with 2 GB memory.
For the PSU I ordered a 750W Corsair CMPSU-750HX.
Do you think it is enough or should I try to change it for a bigger one?

In what cases do you think I would need 12GB of RAM?

I also ordered Windows XP Professional x64 SP2 because I heard many people complain about Vista.

Dexter2999
08-12-2009, 04:10 AM
750 is "okay".

I don't see any optical drives listed on your spec's. Are you planning on adding additional internal drives to the one listed? How many case fans are you planning on running?

All of these are contributing factors to how heavy duty your power supply needs to be. If you aren't planning on adding three case fans and three hard drives, a CD Rom and Blu Ray then you probably won't be taxing the power supply. If you are adding things, you might want to look at an upgrade.

Neverko is big BIG BIG Vista fan. So, you don't want to get him started on XP 64.
Personaly my workstation runs Vista and since I use it ONLY for work it has been really stable. My laptop also runs Vista, I use if for internet use and playing. constantly gives me grief.

Good Luck

Silvia_Petre
08-12-2009, 04:22 AM
750W is probably more than enough if the it's a quality PSU. You can't go by the wattage alone. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I quickly looked up some reviews and it looks great. The [email protected] rating should be more than enough.

I'm not sure what you'll be doing with LightWave, but 6 GB is enough to get a lot of work done. I would simply get 12 GB because memory is cheap these days. It all depends on what you do with LightWave.

I would take Vista x64 over XP x64 any day, for a number of reasons, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the particulars here. If you like XP you will probably be fine.

Thanks again, neverko

As I am just starting to study LW I sill don't do much with it. Right now Im just studying tutorials.
I also use Photoshop and Illustrator a lot.
So I guess for now 6GB should be ok and I can upgrade later.
I've been using XP for a long time so I feel at home with it :)

Silvia_Petre
08-12-2009, 04:25 AM
750 is "okay".

I don't see any optical drives listed on your spec's. Are you planning on adding additional internal drives to the one listed? How many case fans are you planning on running?

All of these are contributing factors to how heavy duty your power supply needs to be. If you aren't planning on adding three case fans and three hard drives, a CD Rom and Blu Ray then you probably won't be taxing the power supply. If you are adding things, you might want to look at an upgrade.

Neverko is big BIG BIG Vista fan. So, you don't want to get him started on XP 64.
Personaly my workstation runs Vista and since I use it ONLY for work it has been really stable. My laptop also runs Vista, I use if for internet use and playing. constantly gives me grief.

Good Luck

Hello Dexter.
Thanks for your response.

The system that I ordered includes a DVD-Writer (No Blu-Ray) and the case is a Thermaltake with 3 fans included and with the possibility to add more if necessary.
I also ordered one 320MB HDD for the system and one 1TB for data. And I may add another one later if necessary.
Do you think Im still safe with the 750W PSU?

Dexter2999
08-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Hello Dexter.
Thanks for your response.

The system that I ordered includes a DVD-Writer (No Blu-Ray) and the case is a Thermaltake with 3 fans included and with the possibility to add more if necessary.
I also ordered one 320MB HDD for the system and one 1TB for data. And I may add another one later if necessary.
Do you think Im still safe with the 750W PSU?

Neverko said the spec on the PS was 60 amps. That sounds like plenty for what you are getting. Personally, I wouldn't add a third internal hard drive to that set up. At that point I would look at an external solution with it's own power supply. They also prove handy in being portable if you need to transfer huge projects. Also, I personally tend to get paranoid about the heat generated by drives and the airflow inside my cases. Not as big of an issue nowdays with SATA cables, but it is a leftover condition of older computers with IDE and SCSI ribbon cables jamming up cases and over heating AMD processors. I just get a little crazy about some things.

You should be fine.

Silvia_Petre
08-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Great!

Now I can't wait for my computer to be assembled and delivered! :)

Thank you, guys! :thumbsup:

Lewis
08-12-2009, 07:07 AM
750W Corsair is more than enough for your machine. I've recently build i920, 12GB, and Nvidia 9400GT + 500GB HDD on table (didn't had case delivere yet ;)) and overclocked to 3.8GHz at low quality 420W PSU and it worked 14 days (full day renders) without problems. I wouldnt recommend that for every day machine but i had to render on it until my Antec P182 CASE and Corsair 650W arrived so i was using what i had and it worked fine so don't worry about 750W, it's PLENTY :).

PS. At home I use 3.4Ghz Overclocked Quad core Q6600, Nvidia 8800GTX, 4 Case fans, 2 DVD.RWs, 8GB DDR2m 5 HDDs (2,1TB total) and it all works prefectly fine with Silverstone 750W PSU for 18 months now.

PSU calculators and stuff are very much made to sell those big 1kW PSU while you actually can still use 500-600W PSU for high-end machines with quality PSU manufacturers but Marketing is doing their homework convincing users that they need 1 or 1.2kW PSU :D.

Silvia_Petre
08-12-2009, 07:20 AM
750W Corsair is more than enough for your machine. I've recently build i920, 12GB, and Nvidia 9400GT + 500GB HDD on table (didn't had case delivere yet ;)) and overclocked to 3.8GHz at low quality 420W PSU and it worked 14 days (full day renders) without problems. I wouldnt recommend that for every day machine but i had to render on it until my Antec P182 CASE and Corsair 650W arrived so i was using what i had and it worked fine so don't worry about 750W, it's PLENTY :).

PS. At home I use 3.4Ghz Overclocked Quad core Q6600, Nvidia 8800GTX, 4 Case fans, 2 DVD.RWs, 8GB DDR2m 5 HDDs (2,1TB total) and it all works prefectly fine with Silverstone 750W PSU for 18 months now.

PSU calculators and stuff are very much made to sell those big 1kW PSU while you actually can still use 500-600W PSU for high-end machines with quality PSU manufacturers but Marketing is doing their homework convincing users that they need 1 or 1.2kW PSU :D.

Hello Lewis,

You mean you assembled the parts on a table, without a case?? :eek:
Did you use it as a heater during winter? :)

I just found out one of those PSU calculators (I know, late research. Should have found it BEFORE I ordered the parts :o) and after inputing the parts of my system it said: 430W.
So I'm relieved that what I ordered will be enough :thumbsup:

Lewis
08-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Hehe yeah it worked on table near me and my other two Quad cores in their case :D. I needed "help" for finishing 1000 frames animation and i920 Overclocked did marvelous work :D.

Silvia_Petre
08-27-2009, 11:40 PM
In case anyone is interested, here's an update:

I received my computer but after I couple of days I noticed that it's having temperature problems.

Just a few minutes after turning it on the temperature stays in a range between 42 C and 66 C. The motherboard is running at 50 C and the video card at 54 C. No overclocking, no rendering, just idle.

I will have the cooler checked and maybe have more fans installed.

I did a quick test with LW though :)
A scene that in an old computer that I was using took almost an hour to render now takes a little more than 2 minutes on my new one! :thumbsup:

Lewis
08-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Check out did your cooler is fitted properly (any loose ends or so). What's the CPU temperature under 100% load while rendering ?

JonW
08-28-2009, 01:34 AM
750 watts is plenty. My W5580 V8 24gb has a 865 watt PS & thats for 260 watts of CPUs, running flat out the box consumes 540 watts.

Even if you use the stock cooler, remove it & put it back on with new thermal compound. Attached image was one of my W5580! Iíve replaced all my HS with Noctua & Iím very happy with them but anything similar is will do. Larger fans quieter computer! You may also want to point a fan down onto the ram & some other components, they get really hot if over clocking, having said that, they get a bit hot if not over clocking!

Silvia_Petre
08-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Check out did your cooler is fitted properly (any loose ends or so). What's the CPU temperature under 100% load while rendering ?

When I saw that the system is running too hot I stopped doing rendering tests but from the tests that I did I noticed that the temperature doesn't change between idle and rendering times.
Another weird thing is that some days the computer runs at 42C, other at 66C, even if the ambient temperature is more or less the same.

JonW
08-28-2009, 01:47 AM
80mm fan cable tied onto 120mm fan above ram, which now runs cool.

Silvia_Petre
08-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Even if you use the stock cooler, remove it & put it back on with new thermal compound. Attached image was one of my W5580! I’ve replaced all my HS with Noctua & I’m very happy with them but anything similar is will do. Larger fans quieter computer! You may also want to point a fan down onto the ram & some other components, they get really hot if over clocking, having said that, they get a bit hot if not over clocking!

I'm not using the stock cooler.
I had it substituted for a CoolerMaster V8.
From what I read about thermal compound, I suspect that either the people of the shop didn't put it or they put it wrong or they put one of low quality. Yesterday I bought the thermal compound MX-2 and some cleaning solutions. So I will ask someone else to remove the cooler, clean the cooler and CPU and put it back with the new compound.

The RAM is not getting hot but the video card is running at 54C.

What happened to your CPU in the photo? Is that burned thermal compound?

JonW
08-28-2009, 02:06 AM
It was ok, the server MBs have over heating alarms & all the fans speed up like a large swam of leaf blowers...... But the noise!!!

I had a Coolermaster V8 & the 4 small screws were too short & the heat sink literally fell off the CPU. As long as it stays on the heatsink is ok.

Silvia_Petre
08-31-2009, 05:55 AM
Update:

A friend of mine checked the CPU cooler and reinstalled it with new thermal compound.
Now the CPU is running at around 35~37 C on idle and around 55~57 C when rendering.
The motherboard runs at 42~45C and the video card at 52~56C.

Can someone please tell me if those are normal temperatures for a Core i7 920 2.66GHz, no overclocking?

Lewis
08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
Yep that's normal/cool temp for i7 system.

Silvia_Petre
08-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Yep that's normal/cool temp for i7 system.

Thank you, Lewis.

So is it normal for the video card to run at 56C even when idle?

Lewis
08-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Depend son Video card, it's memory and cooler on it but usually nowdays video cards tend to increase fan speed when there is some intensive GFX work so if is not crashing and works fine don't worry :).

Silvia_Petre
08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
This is the video card: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136&prod_no=1811

The temperature of the video card doesn't change much when its idle or when rendering and I haven't noticed it changing the speed of the fans.
I hope it's normal.

Lewis
08-31-2009, 07:40 AM
videocard on rendering in Lw isn't doing much (or anything for that matter beside showing image) so it's normal that temperature stays pretty much same as on idle. Playing Games or some intensive GFX work in OpenGL should heat up GFX card more.

Silvia_Petre
08-31-2009, 07:53 AM
So it looks like I bought such expensive video card for nothing... :foreheads

Maybe I should start playing some games just to put it to good use :p

Thanks for the help and advices anyway, guys :thumbsup:

borkus
10-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I know that this is an older thread, but is it true that for Zbrush use you can never have enough videocard?