PDA

View Full Version : The perils of Facebook!

Matt
08-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Whoops! :D

AdamAvenali
08-10-2009, 07:36 AM
haha excellent :D

jameswillmott
08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Classic!

lwaddict
08-10-2009, 07:54 AM
ROFLMAO...
OMG...
ROFLMAO...
too freakin' funny.

Andyjaggy
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
That's great.

cresshead
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
the way some people behave on face book they really should join 'arsebook' instead.

and yes it's an available domain!

ted
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Priceless!
I know of a advertising company that was about to hire a gal that really excelled in the interview.
But then the owner saw this gals myspace and how she talked about her previous company and coworkers. Yup, she lost that job because of her mouth.
Lesson learned.

aurora
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
OMG, that rocks. It seems there indeed is no bottom to the depths of stupidity.

colkai
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Can't speak ..... too funny.... :D :D

shrox
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I have no facebook account. I'm safe.

Intuition
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I have no facebook account. I'm safe.

Me neither, I never did any of these myspace, twitter, type things. Too many things to do already. ;)

I did have a few songs on mp3.com back in the 90s though, when the interwebs was just a wide frontier and google wasn't a household name.

gordonrobb
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Love it. Serves her right.

Andyjaggy
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
yeah I have refused to sign up for facebook or myspace or twitter, despite people wanting me too. It's just one more thing to waste time doing.

Everyone always claims it's great for networking, but I have yet to know anyone personally who has ever gotten a lead or a job from it, so screw that.

Mitja
08-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Hahaaaaaa!!!

ivanze
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Nobody is safe from facebook. I have friends that doesn't have accounts in facebook but appear in photos from other people, and some times not with the official girlfriend. :)

biliousfrog
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Everyone always claims it's great for networking, but I have yet to know anyone personally who has ever gotten a lead or a job from it, so screw that.

Well, although you hardly know me personally, I can say in all honesty that I have at least two major clients because of Facebook and several more business contacts because of it. I didn't really understand how people got business through it until recently when I realised that some old friends, that I haven't seen for over 15yrs, have senior positions at some large agencies.

I hated Myspace but Facebook has been great for me, I've never been so sociable and been to so many reunions, network events and drink-a-thons.

I do have to be very careful what I say on other peoples walls though now that they're made public to all my friends...especially as a lot of my friends are very flirty girls and my girlfriend (plus a lot of her family) are always on there too.

That wall post is hilarious BTW.

AdamAvenali
08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
saw this at barnes & noble the other day:

Facebook Marketing: Leverage Social Media to Grow Your Business (http://www.amazon.com/Facebook-Marketing-Leverage-Social-Business/dp/0789738023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249930589&sr=8-1)

Jim_C
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Priceless!
I know of a advertising company that was about to hire a gal that really excelled in the interview.
But then the owner saw this gals myspace and how she talked about her previous company and coworkers. Yup, she lost that job because of her mouth.
Lesson learned.

Hmmm, in my opinion that is the company's loss.

Turning down what may be an excellent employee because she's a drama queen on the internet? Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the last place she worked deserved everything she said, but it shouldn't matter anyway.

Who cares what people say or how they act online if the job they do from punching in to punching out is what is expected of them?

Same thing goes for the guy in the initial post. If she was no good at her job that's one thing, but firing her because he got his feelings hurt online, sounds petty and immature.
To me at least.

Sekhar
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Come on, guys. This has to be a fake. No employer would write a response like that.

hrgiger
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Come on, guys. This has to be a fake. No employer would write a response like that.

Um, my boss would. He's a total wanker too.

SBowie
08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Um, my boss would. He's a total wanker too.Who never reads this forum, right? ;)

Heheheheheh.

geothefaust
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I would too, and I'm also a total wanker.

:)

Sekhar
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Riiiiiiiight. But only if he's also simultaneously smart like this guy to become a friend so he can actually post his comment. Yep, we see this all the time: adding a friend and blasting him.

gordonrobb
08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I would not want someone how 'hated their job' working for me - that simple. Wouldn't write the response though.

Coincidentally I'm going to a networking lunch in two weeksa bout leveraging facebook and twitter and the like for businss development.

Matt
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Don't come in to work tomorrow, you're sacked.

Signed
Your Boss

:p

shrox
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't have a profile on any of those Sheep-sites either. They represent everything I detest. It's great if some people get something meaningful out of them, but they're definitely not for me.

I like that name, "sheepsites".

Jim_C
08-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I would not want someone how 'hated their job' working for me - that simple.

If they do their job as expected, are professional and courtesy while at work and perform as required by the company why should it matter?

If the person chooses to work at a job they hate, that is their problem and certainly not mentally healthy for them at all, but if they perform as required while there and cause no problems I see no reason why they should be fired.

When I do side gigs and have to hire temp people, I don't care if they hate me, the job, or what they are doing, as long as they do what they are asked and do it well.

But maybe that's just me... again.

Andyjaggy
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
If they do their job as expected, are professional and courtesy while at work and perform as required by the company why should it matter?

If the person chooses to work at a job they hate, that is their problem and certainly not mentally healthy for them at all, but if they perform as required while there and cause no problems I see no reason why they should be fired.

When I do side gigs and have to hire temp people, I don't care if they hate me, the job, or what they are doing, as long as they do what they are asked and do it well.

But maybe that's just me... again.

Well in my experience if someone hates their job and the people they work with there is pretty much a 1 percent chance of them doing a good job on any assignment the are given. But that's just my opinion.

I'm with that guy, I would never hire someone who was *****ing about their past job and how much they hated it. It shows a genuine lack of maturity and responsibility. Chances are they will feel the same way about you, and tension in the workplace makes everyone miserable and has an effect of everyone productivity.

I've worked places where people hate each other and I've worked places where everyone loves each other, and the difference in the quality of the work the atmosphere plays is substantial.

Lightwolf
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I like that name, "sheepsites".
That's why they need the odd wolf ;)

Cheers,
Mike - who is on facebook

Matt
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Mike - who is on facebook

Me too, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Actually, at first I wasn't that fussed. But it offers a nice way to keep in touch with friends who live abroad, and who and are not in GMT friendly time zones.

I've never looked at facebook as 'networking' tool to gain work, that's what linkedin is for right?

Jim_C
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Well in my experience if someone hates their job and the people they work with there is pretty much a 1 percent chance of them doing a good job on any assignment the are given. But that's just my opinion.

Yea, I hear ya, but I bet in your line of work (I'm assuming 3d/graphic arts etc) you get very few who do it at your level and hate it. You don't spend that many hours getting good at something if you hate it.

But I think you may be surprised how many industrious hard working respectable employees in other, especially more manual labor jobs, actually hate what they are doing.
The ole "I hate what I am doing but I will do it to the best of my ability anyway."

The guys who landscape and maintain the neighborhood I live in do a really fantastic job but how many of them actually like the work they are doing. I would bet close to 0.0 of them.

Good help is too hard to come by now-a-days. If someone appears to be a good candidate for a job I am offering I would give them a chance at the job and not hold feelings they had in the past about other jobs against them. Consequentially, if they take the job, perform the duties as expected, and always act professionally on the job I wouldn't care in the least if they post on a social network what a douche I am and how they hate the job.

Lotta 'ifs' in there tho.....

:D
:jam:
:beerchug:
:hey:

Lightwolf
08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Actually, at first I wasn't that fussed. But it offers a nice way to keep in touch with friends who live abroad, and who and are not in GMT friendly time zones.
Yup... I even managed to hook up with some people I went to school with (which is hard, since the school was abroad and they're scattered all over the globe now).

I've never looked at facebook as 'networking' tool to gain work, that's what linkedin is for right?
I dunno, they're both networking in tools in the sense of keeping in touch... no more though.
facebook is certainly more "fun" and fits my attitude better (they day I see my profession as being "serious business" only I'll quit ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
yeah I have refused to sign up for facebook or myspace or twitter, despite people wanting me too. It's just one more thing to waste time doing.

Yeah, FB is not about job leads. I certainly never get leads thru LinkedIn or other 'professional' sites either. The interesting thing about FB is it's structured in a way that leads you discover old friends and acquaintances that functions better than say Classmates.com but it's free. MySpace profiles (are confusing to me) could be anything, but FB is about individuals and facilitates different ways of interacting. Definitely a great way to goof off, but most people get bored within some weeks. You do have to be aware how the groups work and who can see what, where. I almost posted something embarrassing for a friend in a place I didnt realize was public. And there is no preview or edit. Once you click submit...

adamredwoods
08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Facebook = Twitter = Lightwave forums

shrox
08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Facebook = Twitter = Lightwave forums

No, Lightwave > (is greater than) Facebook +Twitter

axeline
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM
that's the danger of I think using real names..
better used pen names of sorts..that's to avoid
that kind of incident...

better watch your mouth too..when expressing oneself..

cresshead
08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
i don't see a problem with real names as i only post what i actually think and not make stuff up or just '***** and moan' for no good reason.

i DO moan and complain but i don't have a problem with what i write accept i'm crap at spelling and writing properly with punctuations etc!

DiedonD
08-11-2009, 12:33 AM
This forum is better then Twitter and Facebook. And Twitter is better than Facebook.

I only have LW forums (2) and a closed group Twitter, thats related to the movie and movie related people that come in and inform up to date developments. So in that case it can be quite a good historicaly developing site. Very much needed.

Mr Rid
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
that's the danger of I think using real names..
better used pen names of sorts..that's to avoid
that kind of incident...

Well, fake names defeat the purpose of FB. You want to be able to search out people you know. But each contact has to be mutually approved.

Would like to know where the pic at the top of this thread originated. Although it is certainly possible to have happen, these web things are usually fabricated.

geothefaust
08-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Snipped

Unfortunately, posts like yours are popping up all over the place. Seriously, it's quite sad. I am dealing with posts like this on the 3DC forums too where I admin. I delete user accounts all the time that make posts like this...

erikals
08-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Oops!! LOL! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/grin.gif
haha, good one, thanks for posting...

DiedonD
08-11-2009, 01:09 AM
There was a case of a married man looking out for more, you know ;)

So he used his real name and found a very beutiful gal on MSN Messanger. They chatted, she had it all. Sexy picture, smart and overrall hot. She new how to push the right buttons for that guy. And they went on, getting hotter and closer each day.

Sadly, only after they started seeing each other on vid came did he realize that she was his wife!!

erikals
08-11-2009, 01:22 AM
hehe, i know a guy that went through something similar. yep, they broke up.

...if a hot chick on the net you don't know wants to date you, beware(!)

archijam
08-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm joined FB to keep up with friends constantly changing contact details, at least that was the idea ..

Now most won't even put their email on there, for privacy reasons. : /

The whole 'friend' concept is just wrong. I have probably offended a lot of near-strangers by declining their requests, but that's the way they built it.

Matt
08-11-2009, 02:18 AM
The whole 'friend' concept is just wrong. I have probably offended a lot of near-strangers by declining their requests, but that's the way they built it.

That is a pain actually, I have a number of 'do I really know this person well enough for them to get updates from me' type friends!

DiedonD
08-11-2009, 03:32 AM
It depends where you are.

Like if you are in LW forum, and you are an LWist, then youre there to get to know people and have friends.

But showing of what you hold dear to absolutely ANYONE that passes by in Facebook and Twitter is an odd concept indeed. But if you didnt want those people that is arguable weather they are friends or not, to be there, then why did you showed off your values? Didnt you do it to attract exactly those in the first place?

colkai
08-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Heh, my boss would, for sure. So would a couple of other people I know who run their own business.
To be honest, so would I. :D
She totally had it coming and as much as I have problems at work at times, you just do not resort to that sort of behaviour, bad form.

The again, I feel a lot of 'free speech' on the net is just an excuse to be a twerp and show lack of any social and personal respect and common-sense.
Then again, I'm old school, or is that just plain old? :p

DiedonD
08-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Heh, my boss would, for sure. So would a couple of other people I know who run their own business.
To be honest, so would I. :D
She totally had it coming and as much as I have problems at work at times, you just do not resort to that sort of behaviour, bad form.

Which brings on the issue of:

Must our employees like us? Must we force them to like us? Are we paying them to like us or to do their job?

biliousfrog
08-11-2009, 06:33 AM

Must our employees like us? Must we force them to like us? Are we paying them to like us or to do their job?

It isn't important that employers and employees are friends but they should feel comfortable with each other. I have friends that I would never work with and have had work collegues that I wouldn't want to be friends with.

DiedonD
08-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah but she complained that her boss is a wanker, and got sacked for it.

She just got canned cause she had unfriendly opinion about her boss!

Is that good enough to go by? She isnt beeing payed for having friendly opinions about her boss! Is she?! Why shold one kick on those grounds then?

Which reminds me of a joke

If her nick name was Cookie, and she got sacked, then that would make her a Cock-Sucker :D LOL

Tom Wood
08-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Like everybody else in the world I'm working on a concept for a new social networking site...everybody here is too, right?...and I've come to the conclusion that the Facebook/Twitter platforms are actually anti-social.

When you first sign in you end up in your own little walled off garden. Alone. And then the work begins on reaching out and communicating. It's like being a new worker in a vast landscape of cubicles.

So I'm using the good old bulletin board as the software platform, and hoping it isn't considered too 'old school' any more.

biliousfrog
08-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Having an opinion about someone is one thing but publicly ridiculing them is something else entirely. I haven't particularly 'liked' any of my previous bosses but I wouldn't have stood up in the middle of the office or tea room and told everyone that I thought they were a wanker. It would cause tension and embarassment for everyone involved and if the boss didn't take a hardline with it he would lose respect. I suspect that the girl's friends might have also included other work collegues.

From the original post it sounds to me like the girl is useless anyway so I doubt that he really needed much encouragement to give her the boot.

CC Rider
08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
It could be real...
She was working on a 60 day trial basis anyway, and the boss says she can't perform the simplest tasks.
Sounds like he was being nice giving her the benefit of the doubt until she started b*******.

She had it coming.

colkai
08-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Far from it, but I *would* expect a certain level of behaviour, you play in my yard, you play by my rules. If I am paying someone to do a job, I want to employ someone I can work with and someone I trust to do the job required. If you're paying for something, you expect to get it, if I want to donate to charity, I'll do it, but paying for people to make life more difficult is not on my list of "to do".

True story, had a temp employee at one job, was asked to make several copies of a report for a meeting. So they did, exactly that, made the copies, left them and the original on the photocopier and went for coffee. Figured they had done what was asked, couldn't understand the fuss when they were brought up about it, making out they had been "slighted" and picked on. Suffice to say, they didn't stay long.

DiedonD
08-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Thats real pain Colkai!

So the issue is about respect then. And thats a gray area.

What if someone is doing the job on the contract 120%, but has less than nothing of respect for the boss?

That one gets sacked? Why? Nowhere in the contract did it say that compensation of that ones time in doing his job is respect for the boss included!

Ive had people that I dearly wanted them off my company due to their disrespect (it was captured in recording even)!

Now it wasnt a public thing, luckily, but there was a tape.

Since Im second in charge the decision wasnt mine alone. And I was confronted with the 'I just care about bussiness, not about ramblings and gossipings' from my superior.

They are out at last now. But they kinda left on their own by my 'indirect' involvement. Mostly suspicious body language, and overall hard to go by the day at work with me things.

So Im kinda looking at how are things out there, and how high is tolerance basically.

A recorded disrespect.

Is that tolerated too for a very well worker?

Or they just get sacked no questions asked, just a play of the recording in the middle of 4 walls?

colkai
08-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Disrespect I think goes hand in hand with an inability to function in a working environment.
I've never in over 30 years met anyone with a bad attitude that wasn't also a bad worker.

I have met 'unique' people, who have "interesting characters", but they tend to still want the best for the product and work darned hard, that's fine. Had one chap, used to have blazing arguments with him, but the air cleared, we got on and always considered him one of our best workers and a good colleague. Simple reason, when the air had cleared, we worked well as a team, our mutal love of bacon butties helped too! ;)

If he actually thought he'd offended anyone, he would apologize straight away, he was simply "direct", see it, say it. That's fine by me, I'd rather someone question why things were as they were, he saved to company a ton of money once simply by his questioning attitude. Sad to see him go when he did leave to pursue other avenues of work.

Just I never have and never will tolerate prannocks who are either lazy, arrogant or both. Counter-productive, they either try to wait until someone else does their work because it is "below them" or don't do it because they are too busy faffing around.
Either way, it's money down the drain for a company, may as well pay some Joe off the street to sit in an office all day.

DiedonD
08-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Disrespect I think goes hand in hand with an inability to function in a working environment.

Well before he got corrupted, he was among best workers. Its after then that he started going disrespectfully.

So its not an inability to funciton cause he was among the best we had!

It is gray as I toldya. With alota nuances too, as we journey to the specifics of the personalities, some general rules leave vacuum for them!

lwaddict
08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Not sure if this has been covered yet but here goes...

I do a lot of IS security and research for our company and new hires are scanned across the net for 'unacceptable conduct' and have even been turned away for it.

Schools do it.
Companies do it.

And sometimes they'll even research activities based upon your employee manual stating something about how you represent the company in off hours... things like DUIs, participating in porn, bashing the company, my favorite was a girl dancing on a table covered in marijuani in her underwear...

You will lose you job.
The respect issue is a non-issue, employee manuals cover this as well as many state laws allowing for this.

If you want to play the fool online...
bone up on the privacy settings and don't run around with like ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 178 'friends' on your Facebook page.

This girl was an idiot.

Just my opinion...
but then, my dealings working with horror films have nearly had me in hot water, my saving grace was that I explained this in the exceptions area of the form when I signed it.

Mr Rid
08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=1232229181&share_id=122975930657&post_id=122975930657&fragment=share_footer122975930657&comments_=&share_footer122975930657=#/group.php?gid=5585067263&ref=share

shrox
08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I am going to join facebook.

Mr Rid
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Join us.

Titus
08-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Yes, please! and let your productivity hit the floor :D.

RudySchneider
08-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Join us.

"Invasion of the Pod People." That brings back memories!

lwaddict
08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
"Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna hide?
Because there's no one left...

who's...

like...

you."

:help:

Mr Rid
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
"Invasion of the Pod People." That brings back memories!

One of us!

shrox
08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
One of us!

Now there's a party!

AbnRanger
08-18-2009, 01:12 AM
saw this at barnes & noble the other day:

Facebook Marketing: Leverage Social Media to Grow Your Business (http://www.amazon.com/Facebook-Marketing-Leverage-Social-Business/dp/0789738023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249930589&sr=8-1)I know a couple friends on FB that use it exclusively as a selling tool, and I ain't trying to hear all of that (spam). It's annoying as can be...you wouldn't go to a social gathering and treat it like your own personal infommercial, would you?

shrox
09-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I left Facebook after two days. It suggested that I might want to be friends with this person, who was my ex-wife!

aurora
09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
OUCH, yeah I would run like hell too if that happened to me. Gives me the creeps just thinking about that happening. Yours wouldn't happen to live in Aspen too would she?

probiner
09-06-2009, 06:45 AM
LOL Matt, thanks for sharing.

Now imagine this: she had to 2 jobs =D

No FB no Hi5, no nothing here. Oh.. Email and MSN and Skype :D