PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my tv audio situation

AdamAvenali
08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
hey all,

kind of off-topic, but i have a question about my tv and its audio. so, i will break down my situation. i live in an apartment building with people next door, across the hall and also below me. i like to be courteous to everyone around me and keep my tv at a reasonable level. i popped in the fellowship of the ring to my xbox tonight and had a horrible experience trying to watch it. every time there was some sort of battle it was ridiculously loud, but every time someone whispered i could barely hear it. the tv is a 32" panasonic viera. do you think it would be better to go to a surround sound setup? i really dont want to have to bust out the wireless headphones or turn on sub-titling just to hear dialogue haha. let me know what you all are doing!

thanks,
adam

Silkrooster
08-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Some TV's have an option to limit the sound variances. But so far I haven't see where they help much. But it may be worth going through your menus and seeing if such a feature exists on your TV. My thoughts are divided on surround sound. On one hand it is an amplifier and could disrupt your neighbors. On the other hand your back speakers would be closer to you and therefore you should be able to keep the volume somewhat normal. One thing to keep in mind is most but not all surround system have a sub woofer, this speaker will vibrate the floor which will be annoying to your neighbor downstairs. So keep that in mind if you do get one, it may be possible to have a separate volume for the woofer, or get one without it. But they are kind of cool.
Good luck...

warrenwc
08-09-2009, 08:34 AM
If you have the option of a Phantom Center channel, turn it on & crank it up. That's where all the dialogue will be.
If you do get a surround- same thing; turn up the center(front).

AdamAvenali
08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
thanks! i will check out the manual for those things.

do you think it is possible that the xbox may also be partially to blame?

i guess while i'm at it i might as well ask a question about DVD's as well haha. this if my first widescreen tv and up until this point i have always bought widescreen format dvd's. it seems that no matter what format mode on the tv i am in i still get the black bars across the top and bottom. i thought that the zoom mode would get rid of them but it doesnt. right now i have the xbox plugged into the video and audio in's, should i be using component? will that give me access to the digital formatting options (h-fill, v-fill, etc.)?

i feel pretty noobish about this haha too much time doing 3d and not enough time watching movies i guess :D

shrox
08-09-2009, 01:53 PM
...it seems that no matter what format mode on the tv i am in i still get the black bars across the top and bottom. i thought that the zoom mode would get rid of them but it doesnt...

Are things like tires and circles truly round on your TV? That is the best way to eyeball if it is correct or not.

The Dommo
08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
This is happening because that's how Dolby Digital is designed to work - you have you audio at a level where the voices are audible, and then when there is action / explosions etc, it can shake your room. The idea is to allow the cinematic experience in your home.

It's what is called the dynamic range, literally the range of loudness between the softer audio and the louder parts.

TV programmes, particularly commercials have very little dynamic range - everything is compressed to the same level of loudnesss, and there's little variation and drama. That's one of the reasons why the volume on commercials is so high, and also because they're all fighting for your attention.

I digress.... but to solve your problem, check the manual to see if either your DVD player or the TV has a "late night" mode or something similar. What this does is dynamically detects when the movie gets loud, and cranks the volume down internally, so you can set your volume level just once hopefully and be ok with that.
:)

AdamAvenali
08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
thanks for taking the time to answer everyone! i'm going to dive into the manual tomorrow and see what the options in the audio menu mean.

the following are listed:
AI Sound: On
Surround: Off
Audio Leveler: 0 (has a range of -7 to 7)
Speaker Output: On

AdamAvenali
08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
so here is a rundown of what the manual says each setting does:

AI Sound: Equalizes overall volume levels across all channels and external inputs (On/Off)

Surround: Enhances audio response when listening to stereo (On/Off)

Audio Leveler: Minimizes volume disparity after switching to external inputs (-7 to 7)

Speaker Output: Switch to "Off" when using external speakers (On/Off)

i did find an interesting thing in my manual about video though. i have often though the screen was adjusting its backlight brightness on its own and it seems there is an "AI Picture" setting which adjusts on the fly depending on the screen. it has been really annoying and has since been turned off haha

The Dommo
08-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Sounds like AI Sound is closest to what I described. You'll have to try it to see how well it works though.

:)

AdamAvenali
08-10-2009, 07:47 AM
yeah, i'm going to check it out tonight. i am curious what the AI stands for though haha artificial intelligence? if i turn it to 'on' is iRobot going to come out of my tv? haha

Mike_RB
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
i guess while i'm at it i might as well ask a question about DVD's as well haha. this if my first widescreen tv and up until this point i have always bought widescreen format dvd's. it seems that no matter what format mode on the tv i am in i still get the black bars across the top and bottom. i thought that the zoom mode would get rid of them but it doesnt. right now i have the xbox plugged into the video and audio in's, should i be using component? will that give me access to the digital formatting options (h-fill, v-fill, etc.)?

tv widescreen is 1.777:1 (16:9), LOTR was filmed in 2.35:1. You're gonna have the bars, the film is just that wide.

Andyjaggy
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Unless you buy one of those new TV's that has that aspect ratio. Drool.

shrox
08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I think "AI' might stand for ambient illumination, that annoying back light you turned off.

AdamAvenali
08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I think "AI' might stand for ambient illumination, that annoying back light you turned off.

the backlight is still on haha it just does not auto-adjust based on what is on the screen anymore

and that would not explain the AI sound adjustment either :thumbsup:

AdamAvenali
09-03-2009, 05:02 PM
so, i have run into another situation with my tv. i figured i would just tack it on to the end of this thread and not start a new one for my noobness haha. it is a Panasonic Viera tc-32lx85 and i can find no picture overscan options anywhere. i have no problems with my xbox or just regular television, but i do notice it when i plug my laptop in via HDMI (the tv has no VGA or DVI inputs and HDMI is the only option on both my tv and laptop). the problem is that no matter what resolution i have my laptop set to, i am losing about 5% of my picture the whole way around on the tv. it does not matter what aspect setting i have tv set on either. i have also gone into the nvidia settings and set the laptop to the native resolution of the tv, but still, losing 5% all the way around.

i have read a few things about just turning off the picture overscan, but i think those people have the plasma viera's and mine lacks that option.

thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

The Dommo
09-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Yah, it's because in my experience on LCD screens, they even have put in overscan into these, even though physically it's not there.

On an nVidia chipset there is an option to scale the screen down somewhere. That might do the trick for you.

AdamAvenali
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks for the reply! yeah, it's funny about the nvidia control panel. i have the option to create a custom resolution on my desktop, but then i go over to my laptop and that option is missing entirely.