PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox Lightwave Workflow?

realgray
08-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi all, just wondering if any of you were using Mudbox with Lightwave, and if you could share some tips. Also if there are any tuts out their I'd be grateful.
Thanks,
Gray

realgray
08-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Also, I am thinking of switching to Zbrush. I have a pre 2009 license of Mudbox that I bought right as Autodesk took over. But now they have implemented subscription fees and I don't want to worry about getting stung like the XSI people did. I'm thinking it may be easier to deal with Pixologic. I'm on a Mac. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cresshead
08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
mudbox looks good and mudbox2010 sems to have solved some of the backwards steps that the move to autodesk had initially.

have you been over to mudboxhub?
http://www.mudboxhub.com

have a look at mudwalker, you may find that it will add lightwave soon as well as maya, xsi and max.

what's the sunscription cost for mudbox btw?

jasonwestmas
08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Just started taking a look at MBox. It's like 3Dcoat in the way you can preview stuff and use layers for multiple texture maps (diffuse, spec, normals etc.) but MBox seems to have better detailing capabilities. If you want good previews without having to export back to lightwave, MBox is better at this than ZBrush now, especially if you can't use GoZ. I'm not even sure if Pixologic has layered projection painting planned, it would be a shame if ZB4 didn't cover that. The only thing Zbrush might have that is superior is its sculpting and alpha brushes.

realgray
08-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Haven't been able to find a price for the subscription. Says I have to go to a reseller to find out. (Even though the product is download only) Also, I purchased it when it was windows only. Now they offer it on the Mac but I'm concerned that they will never go 64 bit. The reason I'm trying to make a decision now is I know Mudbox 2010 is about to come out and I heard somewhere that if you get two versions behind then you can't upgrade. I'll have to call a reseller first thing monday.