PDA

View Full Version : LaptopLightwave

Rabbitpenny
08-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I have an idea and therefore a question.

I have a desktop that serves me well for Lightwave except the renders of my very complex scenes need hours to render. I can render at night but that constraint still interrupts the work flow.

So...I'd like to get a laptop ($500 max) which I need anyway, and a second instance of Lightwave (not ScreamerNet), to use only for rendering.

My question is: Even if the integrated graphics of say, for example, an Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 (4gigs RAM) might not adequately display the scene to allow for practical editing (because of poor graphics support), will it still be able to render? Or is there a severe limitation elsewhere on the motherboard that limits the rendering process? Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks, in advance, for help and suggestions.

Tobian
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I can't tell you if the graphics card will work with Lightwave (and theoretically, if the support was so bad it might make it impossible to run through crashing)... but...

Rendering has NOTHING to do with the graphics card. Rendering is ONLY done with the CPU and memory, and the Graphics card is not used... And likely will not be used ever in the 9.x series (the only GPU-rendering pipelines currently made have just debuted at Siggraph and are still prototye, and not fully integrated, and I will note are additional to CPU use)

The only caveat I can possibly see is that IF the graphics card shares system board memory, having a lot of things displayed at once might limit how much memory you have to render with, but you can always use the new RenderQ tool, so it doesn't need to be displayed, only loaded in memory.

Rabbitpenny
08-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, Tobian. Admire your work. Pluto Station Lives.

Yes, I know that rendering has nothing to do with the graphics card, but I have to be able to open the scene, (probably with objects hidden, open GL to a minimum). I have to access the Scene Editor. So, no RenderQ.

Which brings up another question...If I could hi-jack my own post.

When I have a large scene (> 2mil polys, 3000 objects) close and re-open, some of the objects have "unchecked" themselves in the "A" column(Visible on Render) in the scene editor. Actually, even when "rechecked" sometimes an object doesn't render.

Any help there. Thanks.

Tobian
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Sounds like you are just skirting on the edge of what's do-able in the memory you have, it's not JUST polygons, it's everything else in the scene, like radiosity caches and textures. You could always shrink the 'segment memory' limit so that the scene renders in a number of passes, or make sure it's only JUST big enough ( so it isn't hogging your computer) but when it boils down to it you just need more ram - I do for my model (thanks for the encouragement hehe).

The thing is - you can set your scene in your other computer, and then just move over to the other computer for JUST rendering. You can also downgrade the display quality (just shaded, wireframe or bounding box) and lower the quality to legacy OGL - this of course IF it's a problem, without knowing someone who has the card, I don't know - it might run absolutely fine!