PDA

View Full Version : Record Program Audio on 1 Input

vanderwielen
08-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I've suggested this somewhere to someone. A big big part of sports production is the posting of a highlight melt reel. This needs to include program audio. As it stands, you must feed program audio to all 3 audio inputs...then remix, or source all 3 outputs to the melt reel deck. A good melt reel and the use of the 3play allows you to re-switch the highlight. as it stands, if you switch away from replay 1 to 2 (as an example), the audio output on 1 mutes...and 2 becomes hot. This should be a simple fix. BTW, highlights are what everyone wants for their web sites. The NCAA requires it for championship production.

SBowie
08-08-2009, 01:15 PM
An excellent thought. Would it serve your need if you could independently assign any one of the three audio records to individual events in the playlist (in somewhat similar fashion to the way you can change the default camera)? Or are you thinking that it would be useful to do this in a more global manner, perhaps at the custom playlist level?

vanderwielen
08-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I think it would be just a mode setting:

Setting: Mute Audio When Switching Sources: YES NO

When YES is selected, only the audio from the selected source is outputted. This is as the software currently performs. The intent was obviously to have the audio of the replay active when and only when that source was replayed. Example, when video source 1 is selected, it's audio is present at its output and outputs 2 and 3 are muted.

When NO is selected, all audio outputs are active all the time. In this mode, You could really get creative. You could either simply patch program audio into input 1, as I would like to do. Or you could patch announcer 1 into input 1, announcer 2 into input 2 and perhaps crowd audio into input 3. Then you could completely re-switch the game after the fact. Of course you'd take the 3 audio outputs into your toaster, set their levels and then switch video on the 3 play.

Here's another cool idea when NO is selected. At times we mic coaches. What if we could patch the coaches audio in channel 2? Then replay his voice during the replay. Or mic the referee...bring his audio back during the play. See, currently, there is no way to bring back audio from channel 2 while replaying video from 1.

Here's another one. We do pre-recorded standups prior to the game. Currently we do this with the toaster DDR. However, we fire commercials from the toaster and NEVER mess with DDR2, or 3 while commercials are playing (Dangerous). We could do a quick standup while at break with the 3 play and bring it back when we return.

good luck.

jcupp
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I like the idea of all the audio outs active. This would make the 3Play really good for recording live music events. You could record 12 channels or sub-groups from the house mixer and do your own mix in post.