PDA

View Full Version : trailer for my film

skate23
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
ok lightwavers and animators generally- here it is- my trailer over at youtube currently- more blurb below, but i'd appreciate your thoughts- its far from a purist lightwave creation, but LW has been used throughout for one section of CA and worldbuilding- actually under-represented in this trailer...i'm aiming for a nostalgic, niave approach with modern tools...john:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78tV74hqGM

"A trailer for the forthcoming 23 minute stop-motion and computer animated film by Skatedog Films Ltd. An adaptation of the classic Oscar Wilde story. An unlikely friendship between a tiny bird and a lonely statue brings new hope to a cold, Victorian city. Made over two and a half years in London, UK, by Skatedog Films, and featuring collaborations with college students. This piece innovatively combines all approaches to the animation medium: Cel, stop-motion, and CGI, to create a film with a unique vision and style. Voiced by Professional actors Sean Gallagher, Penny Layden, and Jim Conway, and featuring a wonderful score composed by Andrea Possee, this piece is sure to tug any heartstrings you may have. Please take a look and send it on to your friends."

let me know what you think- john:D

www.skatedog.co.uk

cresshead
08-07-2009, 07:13 PM
i'd def remix the audio tracks, bring up the narration, duck down the music..didn't hear the narraton was too hard to decifer it from the music track.

stop motion was okay but there ware times characters 'did somethin' just so the were 'doing something' [man in bed example]

camera seem to move around too much but might be okay inthe final product.

shrox
08-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes, it seemed more like a first pass test than a final product.

skate23
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
thanks for the comments- i agree with your take on the audio, there is still some equalising to be done, compression etc- and your not alone in those comments-
one thing i wish about this was that the project hadnt been quite as vast as it eventually turned out...although it is drawing favourable reviews elsewhere, its been a huge learning curve across all the animated styles, and i am sure i'll eventually hate it as a 'first piece', its still my baby at the moment...stop-motion is a really hard task-master- just settling into poses is a really hard habit to allow yourself, but its definitely something i've learned towards the end! i hope you guys can see the whole piece eventually, and let me know your thoughts.:thumbsup:

skate23
08-08-2009, 08:35 AM
cress, just to be clear, where did you feel the camera moved around too much? do you mean like camera shake?

cresshead
08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
the fade thru edit from the first camera to the second [bird scene] has a moving camera fading thru to a still camera...edit feels unformfortable to watch..just change the edit type.

skate23
08-08-2009, 05:22 PM
really useful note, thank you cress:thumbsup:

shrox
08-08-2009, 05:52 PM
The bird in the beginning has what looks like an obvious bump map stretched across it's chest. The movement of the characters is rather jerky, like there should have been more frames shot. I know it's alot of work and reshooting, but smoother movements would work better. And the characters themselves are look rather hastily assembled, I can almost see fingerprints on some of the heads. Basically, this why I don't do stop motion, too much work and guesswork about the final product.