PDA

View Full Version : Viz - Architecture/Medical/Industrial/Etc

gaushell
08-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Paul Lara, proto, Chuck, etc.

Please Read:

I am curious about these postings that we place in the Feature Request thread - are they passed on?

It is really frustrating to not have any idea if LW has decided to never worry about the viz market or not. I use LW for architectural, medical, museum exhibits, virtual prototyping, etc. But it is getting tough when better tools are out there - especially for lighting and antialiasing. It makes me sick to see what Max and its third party rendering engines are doing.

I'm not a hobbiest, this is a business for me, and as one I have to make informed decisions.

Please inform us. Will LW improve features related to the architectural requests that we have posted for several years now? Version 8, 8.5, 9 or never.

If NT has made a corporate decision to only focus on character animation and its use in hollwood, then please tell us. From a business standpoint, I know you like to keep things under wraps, but you have gotten to the point that you have a large contingency of users considering jumping ship. For the past two years I have had a hard time recommending LW to others that do work similar to my firm.

Uninformed clients (the users) in any business are a bad thing.

We want to stay, but a better business move might be to give us a development path. I can assure you that you will lose customers otherwise and probably never see them again. That would be very sad since my company, Paradigm Productions, has used the product since the Amiga days. Many many others are in the same boat.

Please communicate with you clients. We look forward to your comments.

jorbedo
08-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi, you can see another forum that is discussing the same:

>Feature requests>
Architecture - Radiosity for Anim Newtek Listening customers? ( 1 2 )

trick
08-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by gaushell
...since the Amiga days...

Not that long...since version 4. But before and during that 3DS R1 till MAX3.1.

Lightwave and it's plugins still offer more to me then all other combinations, especially speedwise for fast turnaround architectural projects. With LW I can do animations under 10 min/frame with radiosity in a seperate pass. With HDInstance I can clone millions of trees, bushes, plants, animated characters, etc no other software can do without the memory demands it usually requires.

I agree however that if Newtek does not respond to the visualisation market with a more modern rendering engine it will certainly loose their users !!! Personally I have a reference what can be done with MAX: CrystalCG (http://www.crystalcg.com) . If they are doing something that can not be done in Lightwave, I'll surely make the switch...

gaushell
08-26-2003, 12:59 PM
The other architectural post started getting off topic - so I started this one.

Please don't take my original post as an attack on NT and LW. My hope is to encourage them. If we convince them there is a big enough need they will listen.

I don't see that we need to defend LW to each other. We are using it.

Like in architecture school - constructive criticism is all I'm after.

Originally posted by trick
Not that long...since version 4. But before and during that 3DS R1 till MAX3.1.

since 1994 with version 3.5. Max didn't exist yet and 3DS stunk. But look where it is in the architectural viz market now. Many more tools from RealPeople (RPC by Archvision) to specialized landscaping plugins - not to mention all of the nice third party GI rendering options.

[
Lightwave and it's plugins still offer more to me then all other combinations, especially speedwise for fast turnaround architectural projects. With LW I can do animations under 10 min/frame with radiosity in a seperate pass. With HDInstance I can clone millions of trees, bushes, plants, animated characters, etc no other software can do without the memory demands it usually requires..

I'm not sure I completely agree. My point is that LW is being passed up - especially with lighting and rendering engines. Sure, you can do most things with Lightwave, but with much more hassle that it should be.

Sure, we have plugins available and I check Flay.com daily. But go hang out at cgarchitect.com for awhile and look at what is being created and with what tools. There are custom tools for architectural visualization all over the place that make a big difference - but very few around in the Lightwave world.

I'm in no hurry to switch. 9 years is a pretty good investment in this program. I just want to encourage them to look more at the Viz market, especially architectural and make strides in tools that we need - and access to plugins (like RCP).

Third party enticements is what boosted Autodesk when their main product was Autocad (which sucks as a base product for the most part), but because they encourage third parties it became dominant. Max is doing the same thing in the viz market.

Enough rambling. Back to rendering.

trick
08-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by gaushell
...and access to plugins (like RCP)...

I absolutely agree with everything you say except for one thing:

What's the use of perfectly (realistic) rendered arch.stills or animations with VRay, Brazil or Finalrender if you're gonna use the badly lighted RPC people ?? Show me ONE rendering in which RPC (or any pre-photographed) people are perfectly integrated ?!?

I would rather see solutions like here (http://www.infarq.com)

pauland
08-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Great site. Thanks for the link.

Paul

gaushell
08-26-2003, 06:41 PM
infarq does nice very work. But in my opinion, those people are freaky looking and become distracting. They look fine at low res, but if you download a high res version they are just strange. Remind me of low poly 3d people you see in some games.

But each to his own opinion. Great reference site though - lighting was very nice indeed. Back to one of the LW problems.

The Marlin Moving People in combination with the semi stationary RCP people still get my vote. Note that the walking RCP people are awful.

We've had pretty good success with a combination of still and moving people - take a peek

http://www.2dimes.com/gallery/images/zclients/palmcoast/palmcoast.wmv

or
http://www.2dimes.com/gallery/images/zclients/hok/hokuic.wmv

So I still vote for an RCP plugin for cars, trees and some of the people. They would supplement what we are already doing at Paradigm.