View Full Version : where's import FBX?

cresshead
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
where's import FBX?

i can locate export but not import...;D

cresshead
08-05-2009, 09:14 AM
well i went of n got this...

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/HOWTO-importObjectLightwave.html

doesn't import the animation/bones/deforms

oh well , i'll stay in 3dsmax then for this.

IMI
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
You would just do that under "load object", not import, I think. No?
I can't check right now, else I would.
I tried it once before though and it simply didn't work. It's better just to use OBJ. IIRC, fbx import just lost all my surface data and made my model just one material, and didn't include rigging.

cresshead
08-05-2009, 10:15 AM
You would just do that under "load object", not import, I think. No?
I can't check right now, else I would.
I tried it once before though and it simply didn't work. It's better just to use OBJ. IIRC, fbx import just lost all my surface data and made my model just one material, and didn't include rigging.

the format of FBX and what it's capable of is amazing, just that newtek for whatever reason threw all that away and just got the mesh import sorta working...total mess up if you ask me...but just don't ask me okay?:)

Eugeny
08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
File->Load scene ... Try it with FBX ...

cresshead
08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
File->Load scene ... Try it with FBX ...

yeah done that..just loads the mesh no animation, lights, camera, bones, or skinning comes in..

newtek made the load via fbx just the mesh and not the rest of what the file format can handle which is a great shame, so i'd need to spend $99 for point oven to actually try and get 'scenes' moved from 3dsmax to lightwave and my finances are rock bottom currently [no job]

maybe in the future i'll come back to this.

IMI
08-05-2009, 05:46 PM
yeah done that..just loads the mesh no animation, lights, camera, bones, or skinning comes in..

newtek made the load via fbx just the mesh and not the rest of what the file format can handle which is a great shame, so i'd need to spend $99 for point oven to actually try and get 'scenes' moved from 3dsmax to lightwave and my finances are rock bottom currently [no job]

Funny too, as they then called it a "feature", when it is actually about the same as importing DFX or an OBJ with all the useful information stripped out. ;)