PDA

View Full Version : Press release: NVIDIA Launches The World's First Interactive Ray Tracing Engine

Ernest
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
As the world’s first interactive ray tracing engine to leverage the GPU, the NVIDIA OptiX engine is a programmable ray tracing pipeline enabling software developers to easily bring new levels of realism to their applications using traditional C programming. By tapping into the massively parallel computing power of NVIDIA® Quadro® processors, the OptiX engine greatly accelerates the ray tracing used across a spectrum of disciplines, including: photorealistic rendering, automotive styling, acoustical design, optics simulation, volume calculations and radiation research. Application developers are utilizing the OptiX engine to redefine what’s possible for designers, engineers and researchers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1249366628071.html

cresshead
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
not quite a 'first'..more like a second..i'm currently watching a realtime raytracer live pres on the autodesk booth...
wotking within 3dsmax and the brazil renderer.
live update including dof, real camera settings etc.

brute force, 2million pols HDRI lighting sorta like Fprime on steriods
$2500 [hardware] 1 slot pci express slot

booth 2026 at siggraph

3DGFXStudios
08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Newtek should put that stuff in the viewports of CORE. :D

radams
08-04-2009, 02:59 PM
The thing I hate about this is that it is setup for only the Quadro line.

Sorry I don't ever plan to purchase another over priced graphics card that will need to be replaced in 6 months to a year...when the geforce cards are as fast or close for so much less money...and can updated more easily!

I'm tired of Nvidia, gouging us or trying to push us to the Quadro line.

I would prefer them making a line of GPUs with optional drivers...I'ld rather pay for enhanced drivers...and additional apps to go with them..(but are more resonable price wise than to keep paying for a premium that is more difficult to leverage!)

I'll wait from some third party to do the same thing but on the Geforce line !

Cheers,

3DGFXStudios
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
The thing I hate about this is that it is setup for only the Quadro line.

Sorry I don't ever plan to purchase another over priced graphics card that will need to be replaced in 6 months to a year...when the geforce cards are as fast or close for so much less money...and can updated more easily!

I'm tired of Nvidia, gouging us or trying to push us to the Quadro line.

Cheers,

Now you've got a good reason to buy a quadro! :hey:

adamredwoods
08-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok, now this is the technology I like to see.
I need faster renders...

wacom
08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
not quite a 'first'..more like a second..i'm currently watching a realtime raytracer live pres on the autodesk booth...
wotking within 3dsmax and the brazil renderer.
live update including dof, real camera settings etc.

brute force, 2million pols HDRI lighting sorta like Fprime on steriods
$2500 [hardware] 1 slot pci express slot

booth 2026 at siggraph

So three key differences.

First of all Nvidia owns Mental Ray- which comes standard in at least three applications.

Secondly it's not tied to any one application, such as Max.

Third- they have the hardware, expertise, distribution channels and resources, to turn this into a wide spread phenomenon.

achrystie
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
As the world’s first interactive ray tracing engine to leverage the GPU

It says "to leverage the GPU", so I think that's where they're getting the WORLD'S FIRST part.

That clarification is key, and fundamental to the press release.

Key omissions or clarifications in the marketing spin that people seem to gloss right over. :D

IMI
08-04-2009, 06:11 PM
First of all Nvidia owns Mental Ray- which comes standard in at least three applications.

Nvidia owns Mental Ray?
How long then before Mental Ray will be using the GPU in their regular video cards?

wacom
08-04-2009, 06:31 PM
This little tiddle bit of info has slipped under many peeps radars:

http://www.fxguide.com/qt/206/nvidia-buys-mental-images

The good- AD will not own it unless Nvidia decides to sell, since, unless they cave and go under, nvidia is worth mountains more than AD. Nvidia will probably bring new ideas to the mr scene and the other way around. Who knows...it's been a couple of years...

The bad- well now it's owned by Nvidia- so now there is the potential for mr to be pushed on more applications and users...ugh...

IMI
08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
This little tiddle bit of info has slipped under many peeps radars:

http://www.fxguide.com/qt/206/nvidia-buys-mental-images

The good- AD will not own it unless Nvidia decides to sell, since, unless they cave and go under, nvidia is worth mountains more than AD. Nvidia will probably bring new ideas to the mr scene and the other way around. Who knows...it's been a couple of years...

The bad- well now it's owned by Nvidia- so now there is the potential for mr to be pushed on more applications and users...ugh...

Thanks for the info. :)

MR seems to be drastically different in the 3 apps I know of which use it, Maya, Max and Softimage. Maya's version is a serious PITA, IMO, while it's easier to use in Max and Softimage. Also, IMO.
Of course, there's that whole distributed rendering issue where you have to buy a boatload of MR licenses to use more than three machines (or something like that), which seems like it could be a real downer for small studios and individuals.

EDIT:
I didn't mean to hijack this thread. That OptiX engine looks pretty cool.... if you use a Quadro, that is.

wacom
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, mental ray is "solid" though the last set with SI was buggy IMHO. That doesn't mean it's bestestest at much, but it does quite a bit and has most of the features one would want. Still, the licensing is odd, and there are those back door ways around it like back burner and such (which don't always perform correctly from what I've heard).

From what I've heard from a few people the mr group is a little bit on their high horse and could use a good knock or two. Some how they managed to embed themselves like a parasite into 3 applications though (XSI had it from the get go). It works well in SI for the most part, and has a lot of good options for dealing with complex scenes...but their implementation of GI solutions is far from elegant (and now there are at least three extra half baked solutions). Maybe that's why I don't use it much and have learned more traditional lighting techniques?

OH wait...off topic again...UH GO Nvidia on the real time stuff and too bad only certain cards can use it. I was surprised you couldn't use a Tesla card with it actually...

IMI
08-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Personally I'd like to see NewTek make the LW render engine, along with its lights and nodal surfacing system, available as a plugin. I'm not seeing why they haven't done so already, really, unless it's a problem with the code base.
LW's render engine puts MR to shame in so many ways, IMO, and I think NT could take over all their business in due time, or at least give them a good run for their money.

Oh but back on topic...
Yeah, GO Nvidia! :D

biliousfrog
08-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Personally I'd like to see NewTek make the LW render engine, along with its lights and nodal surfacing system, available as a plugin. I'm not seeing why they haven't done so already, really, unless it's a problem with the code base.
LW's render engine puts MR to shame in so many ways, IMO, and I think NT could take over all their business in due time, or at least give them a good run for their money.

Oh but back on topic...
Yeah, GO Nvidia! :D

I've wondered that too...it seems that loads of people/studios use Lightwave purely for the render engine anyway, it would seem a logical step...but when has NewTek been logical ;)