PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5 Vs LW 9.6

r3dgraphix
08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I have used LW for several years starting back with the old Amiga. Over years I have upgraded to several versions. The current version I own is 7.5. I am wondering if it makes sense for me to upgrade to 9.6. Cost is 495.00. Can anyone explain the differences and if 9.6 is that much better than 7.5. Especially concerning lighting, rendering, surfacing, radiosity, etc. I am not a character animator. Also I want to install on a MAC.

Phil
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
7.5 has serious multithreading issues that were only fixed in 8.0. The GI is vastly improved in 9.6, including caching systems to cope with lighting changes, and you'll get support for IES files. Surfacing is lightyears away in 9.6 - nodal opens so many doors that, if you can wrap your head around the concept, the possibilities are pretty close to endless.
Changes in Modeler are somewhat thin on the ground, from my point of view.

If your Mac is current (i.e. Intel-based), you'll see a huge performance gain from running the UB version of LW 9.6, but you will not be able to use any old .p plugins (and many older plugins are no longer developed, so you'll not be able to expect a .plugin version). On PowerPC, there are gains from the UB version, but they are unlikely to be as compelling. The legacy PowerPC build (not Universal Binary) of LW is also available for those on PowerPC or needing legacy compatibility.

Honestly, though, the best option is to simply grab the demo version and take it for a spin. See what you think of things.

Phil
08-04-2009, 11:17 AM
7.5 has serious multithreading issues that were only fixed in 8.0. The GI is vastly improved in 9.6, including caching systems to cope with lighting changes, and you'll get support for IES files. Surfacing is lightyears away in 9.6 - nodal opens so many doors that, if you can wrap your head around the concept, the possibilities are pretty close to endless.
Changes in Modeler are somewhat thin on the ground, from my point of view.

If your Mac is current (i.e. Intel-based), you'll see a huge performance gain from running the UB version of LW 9.6, but you will not be able to use any old .p plugins (and many older plugins are no longer developed, so you'll not be able to expect a .plugin version). On PowerPC, there are gains from the UB version, but they are unlikely to be as compelling. The legacy PowerPC build (not Universal Binary) of LW is also available for those on PowerPC or needing legacy compatibility.

Honestly, though, the best option is to simply grab the demo version and take it for a spin. See what you think of things.

Snosrap
08-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Too many to mention really. Get with it! Nodes, Fur-Hair, fast radiosity, joints, all kinds of new lights, from 7.5 to 9.6 there had been many many nice improvements to Modeler. Improved OpenGL, Bridge, Spin Quads, Rounder, Multishift, Dissolve, new selection tools, Speed Booleans, sub patch interpolation of UV maps, Catmull-Clark subD's. Lots and lots!

toby
08-09-2009, 03:19 PM
You might even get Core for free if you upgrade now, is that right?

shrox
08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd upgrade. There is much more stability, stability equals not crashing, not crashing equals time, money, girlfriend etc.

9.+ is faster, and the faster radiosity alone is practically worth it.

Snosrap
08-09-2009, 05:14 PM
You might even get Core for free if you upgrade now, is that right?

Yep.

Silkrooster
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I know I wouldn't go back to 7.5, so yeah 9.6 is that much better. At that price, I would jump at it in a heart beat.

mike_stening
08-10-2009, 03:45 AM
if you have the funds then its a no brainer really.
and you get core in the deal too.
so long as you machine is capable to run it then go for it.

POTO2220
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
there aren't enough pages to explain the differences. apples and oranges as far as new features, improvements and beyond. Like everyone else, its a no brainer. get the upgrade as it blows away the old like nobody's biz.

Kuzey
10-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I'd upgrade. There is much more stability, stability equals not crashing, not crashing equals time, money, girlfriend etc.

9.+ is faster, and the faster radiosity alone is practically worth it.

Actually, the Mac version isn't quite there yet. We should get stability with the Cocoa version...if things goes to plan :hey:

Kuzey

kvanover
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Isn't there a 9.6 trial edition available for download? If there is, you may as well pull it off the net and give it a test run. You've got enough back ground in the app to feel it out pretty well. BTW I'd also recommend the upgrade, even if it were only to use the Bridge command...

Surrealist.
11-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I have used LW for several years starting back with the old Amiga. Over years I have upgraded to several versions. The current version I own is 7.5. I am wondering if it makes sense for me to upgrade to 9.6. Cost is 495.00. Can anyone explain the differences and if 9.6 is that much better than 7.5. Especially concerning lighting, rendering, surfacing, radiosity, etc. I am not a character animator. Also I want to install on a MAC.

What are you looking to do with it?

That would answer it for me. For some things, an app like Blender (free) is a faster way to some features you won't see in LightWave for a while. But you'd take a step back in Lighting and rendering. On the plus you would have access to fluids, a more reliable animation system and other nice things.

In LightWave ,there have been vast improvements in Lighting and Rendering. I too have used LW since the Amiga. LW8 was a big leap over 7.5 and since LW8 there have many many improvements to lighting and rendering in the 9x cycle.

I believe with the upgrade you also get access to CORE for a year but I could be wrong. They may have changed that. CORE is the far off future of LightWave.

So if money is an issue you might wait until CORE is something useful to make the leap. Just a thought. In the mean time they are working to make CORE integrate with LW 9.6 during CORE development so that is another thing to look into as well.