PDA

View Full Version : How do you create a bug?

Carlo Petrick
08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I want to add a bug in the corner of my screen. Is there a quick tutorial on how to create a bug that will work? I will be converting a jpeg image in photoshop.
Thanks

SBowie
08-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Naturally, the bug will need to be saved in a 32bit file format, to provide the transparency required to let the video 'behind' it show through. (You could key it instead, but that is pretty awkward for switching.)

With such a graphic in hand, some TriCaster models allow you to display it over the video using the Overlay feature, but you might prefer to keep that free for titles. Another method is to embed the bug in a LiveSet, leaving Overlay free for other purposes. You can create such a LiveSet using either the LW or Aura LiveSet plugins.

afaskipper
08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
We created a nice animated logo bug in Premier Pro CS4 using some motion elements from Digital Juice.

We put the bug elements art in the desired corner of 720 x 480 res, added logo art, using alpha key on first (lower) track - then (important) encode/render with codec "none" at 32 bit.

It's a 15 second seemless loop that runs nicely whenever desired. We normally run this from the overlay but if you need to keep that free for titles, etc. - you could also run from DDR.

As mentioned above, you can also do this with a still image in a format that supports alpha transparency - 32 bit.

afaskipper
08-22-2009, 01:26 PM
correction, we do not run this from DDR. Was thinking of something else. We normally create our own lower third titles that include logo bug.

ZachSchuster
09-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Steve (and others),

I'm still new to the TC product line, and have not done anything with Livesets yet, though I've given a lot of thought to how I might theoretically integrate a scorebug into a sports program via Liveset.

Let's say I wanted to do an identical scorebug on four of my six TCB sources. The fifth input is, say a replay deck and the sixth input is the camera pointed at the scoreboard.

I would have a liveset with the desired scorebug artwork, and the clock camera properly cropped and placed in the liveset.

But what about text like team, points, 1st and 10, etc... I would be using a title for that info, or LiveText. But I would not want to overlay that information as one might normally do with the title input.

Let's say I want to do a replay that has a different liveset featuring a sponsor logo, or cut to a commercial during a timeout (with no liveset at all). To help make things more "idiotproof," I would not want to have to fade the overlay out before going to a replay or commercial. If I forget, the text overlay will be there sans the scorebug liveset!

All this leads up to my question: is there a way to have the game cameras full screen, the scoreboard camera cropped down to the game clock, and a title with team names/points/1st and 10, with premade scorebug artwork, all in one liveset?

EDIT: To make things more interesting, could I do a livest using the built-in titler for team names and points, and then use LiveText to fade in 1st and 10 or TOUCHDOWN when desired (via the DSK, not liveset)?

And to make things even MORE interesting, could I run an animation in a DDR for the liveset to incorporate a rotating sponsor logo into the scorebar?

That would, by my math, be incorporating 5 sources (2 cameras, 1 DDR, the titler, and LiveText). Could it be done???? Inquiring minds (me) want to know!

Thanks,

Zach

kltv
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Zach,

You could certainly build and apply a LiveSet that would scale, crop and position your sixth camera as a clock element. And in the downstream keyer, you could also build your graphics with a hole or empty space to surround your clock effect and make it feel like a cohesive graphic.

I think the trouble you would have would be getting into and out of the composite effect cleanly. You might be able to build a liveset that also uses the FX bus over the the top of the cameras for your clock and uses preview or the DSK bus for the graphic, but that could cause you complications in switching live. If you used preview for the graphic or scoreboard clock, you could use the DDR and DSK in this scenario to key your additional sponsor graphic over the top of all of that. This may be technically possible, but starts to feel like a nightmare to manage and you'd be tying yourself into a cuts only on the program bus direct.

If it were me, I'd limit myself to using a LiveSet on each camera that squeezes the FX bus input (your scoreboard cam) and DSK graphics in from LiveText. Then, when I wanted to get in and out, I'd turn on/off the LiveSet on my preview camera and simultaneously fade the DSK and transition to preview for the cleanest possible transition in this scenario.

And now a shameless plug... You could also just run a clock from my LiveText plug-in and avoid the whole LiveSet squeeze scenario. Then everything shows up as one source in the DSK and you are free to switch your show without having all that complication... :)

http://www.krisgurrad.com/LT_scoreboards.html

Kris

pro---studio
09-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Hi Kris,

your plug in for LT is very interesting.

I wonder if the following workflow is possible:

I would like to create a live set that keys your scoreboard on top of each camera. With that I could use a DDR via the DSK for animated lower 3rds. Is it possible in your scoreboard plug in to change the background color to green for keying purposes?

Cheers

Pro

kltv
09-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I think that is certainly a possibility. LiveText puts out a full alpha channel when it is in the DSK, but if you wanted to chroma key it, you could just draw a big green (or any other color) rectangle that fills the frame. Place that behind the graphics and you could chroma key them. You'd most likely be tying up your FX bus for the source, but if that isn't an issue in your workflow, I think you'd be okay. The only thing you might miss is smoother alpha channel transparency.

Kris

ZachSchuster
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
KLTV,

You have a very nice plug-in.

Does it take DSTI feeds or in any way take a live gameclock, or do you have manually start and stop the clock from the application?

Thanks,

Zach

kltv
09-28-2009, 05:07 PM
KLTV,

You have a very nice plug-in.

Does it take DSTI feeds or in any way take a live gameclock, or do you have manually start and stop the clock from the application?

Thanks,

Zach

At this point, it is all manual control.

Kris