PDA

View Full Version : Mocap software/hardware to work with Jimmy Rig?

3dWannabe
08-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm very interested in using Jimmy Rig for user generated mocap data.

I've been looking at http://www.ipisoft.com/gallery.php, which has a very interesting demo and is at a very interesting price point $495 for beta version working with 4 inexpensive Logitech cameras.

They include BVH samples for the demo video clips. I'm curious if these are adequate for use with Jimmy Rig (capture data seems kind of minimal. Is more detail needed?)?
http://www.ipisoft.com/animation/shoot3d_technology_preview02.bvh

I'm totally new to all of this, so I'm trying not to make any purchase mistakes. Jimmy Rig looks great (well, maybe fantastic is a better adjective), but I'm more concerned about the proper mocap software solution to go along with Jimmy Rig (that hopefully doesn't cost $5-6K) - and I need both to work together.

Or - would I regret getting the lesser software/hardware with limited frame rates, limited capture points).

Possibly I should spring for maybe an OptiTrack 'beginner' system with just a few cameras (if they even offer one with less than 6) and live on hot dogs and beans for a few years?

BTW - if anyone knows of other low priced mocap (anyone attending SIGGRAPH?), I'd be very interested in exploring other solutions.

cresshead
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
you'll need jimmy rig pro to load motin capture data not the lite version and i'd also wait till siggy 2009 is over bfore buying any mo cap gear.

3dWannabe
08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes, Oliver said there would be a beta for JR v1 owners. Haven't been able to play with it as I'm just now ironing out the details of booting Win7 on my MacPro.

I'm definitely waiting for SIGGRAPH. I'm betting we'll see some price reductions and new systems.

Greenlaw
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I've been very curious about the iPi Motion Capture system too, and it seems like an ideal companion for Jimmy|Rig Pro. At $250 for the Express version, it looks like a steal.

You can download the beta trial of the Basic edition, but Cresshead says, it won't work the the current Jimmy|Rig Lite, but the beta for J|R Pro should start very soon for J|R Lite users. (Can't wait!)

If the trial iPi software works well with J|R Pro, I'll probably go for it right away as the $495 price will jump to $900 when the final version is released.

If anybody is wondering, the iPi Express can read video recorded from DV and HD cameras, but you have to eye-match your DV footage using an NLE. iPi Basic however will let you precisely sync USB webcams or firewire cameras during capture.

I checked on the price for the webcam they recommend and it's about $82 at New Egg. I think the software can use up to three cameras, not four, at least that's what I gathered from watching the tutorial videos. (I understand that Movimento can use four.)

By the way, has anybody tried Animeeple (http://www.animeeple.com/)? I haven't but it looks like it shares a few capabilities with J|R, though I don't think it can mix multiple mocap files or has any useful motion modifiers like Grounder or Destination. But it's free!

It's very exciting to see this technology finally reaching the 'consumer/hobbyist' level. :)

Greenlaw

3dWannabe
08-04-2009, 06:05 AM
actually, ipi can use 4 cameras, but only in the highest cost version. I'm not totally sure 4 cameras work well at the moment, and they may have been recommending users stay at 3 (at least a for an earlier beta).

My only concern is their frame rate and number of 'points' captured on a human frame are more limited than OptiTrack (but for FAR less $$). The skeleton they show is less detailed than most rigs I've seen used in Lightwave.

3dWannabe
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Phoned OptiTrack today, no lower priced systems from them at SIGGRAPH, so they are still at $6K plus suit plus mounts & stands.

Greenlaw
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
actually, ipi can use 4 cameras, but only in the highest cost version. I'm not totally sure 4 cameras work well at the moment, and they may have been recommending users stay at 3 (at least a for an earlier beta).

My only concern is their frame rate and number of 'points' captured on a human frame are more limited than OptiTrack (but for FAR less $$). The skeleton they show is less detailed than most rigs I've seen used in Lightwave.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Even so, I see this as a potential 'sledgehammer' for when you need get a specific action into a shot right away, don't have the time to fuss over it, and you don't have the time or budget to book a real motion capture session.

Of course, in the past, good old fashioned 'rotocapture' has saved us in such a pinch, and that's basically free, provided you have a video camera or appropriate reference footage.

I wonder how well it does when parts of the body become less visible, such as in a tuck and roll. I'm guessing it will become confused even if you give it the positional hints. If it can resolve this kind of motion, I'll be very impressed.

I hope I can test it this this weekend.

Greenlaw