PDA

View Full Version : zbrush paintstop first pik

cresshead
08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
the only thing it's lacking is a full on layer system, blend modes and a rotate canvas feature but as a freeby for zbrush it's pretty fab!

i'll play more once i have it on my tablet pc so the lack or canvas rotating is more or less a non issue!

i'm no 'artist' so just for fun for now..it has 2 layer currently..so will be fun to see what REAL artists can do with it!

probiner
08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
So what about it? It's like Painter? Good ink and oil simutaltion.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=073619

Cheers

cresshead
08-03-2009, 06:19 PM
yeah, only had a quick play..will install on my tablet pc later...pushed it onto my other laptop with a old a6 wacom slate as that's connected to the net.

i have painter 10 and yeah feels much like painter but costs nothing!...woo hoo!
also have the dual view which i like so you can zoom in and also have the other view set to say 100%

there's some great art in their gallery to show off exactly what i can do in the right hands...has just 2 layers for now but looks good to me so far.

probiner
08-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Had to try it :D

Its fun. I was most curious about the oil. And since its Zbrush i think it could be a lot better:
- Physic ink
- Smoothing the oil with same button you smooth sculting?
- The force put on the stroke (bumping in or out)
- Pallete knife that flattens stuff not raise.

And theres other stuff like more "Photoshop" related that can be improved.

That Collor Pallete is awfull to pick colors 8~

I hope it takes much more advantage of the 2.5D stuff.

Something "simple" as ArtRage still kicks a ss

Cheers

cresshead
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
2nd play..well 3rd really but the second one crashed zbrush...just so you know it's not ROCK solid...save often!
and yeah the color selector is tiny...

probiner
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Hmmm like those lines... what is it?

Can i keep pitching stuff here too or you recomend me to make my own thread?

Cheers

gordonrobb
08-04-2009, 12:21 AM
So you cant use the brushes as brushes for texturing then?

probiner
08-04-2009, 03:09 AM
So you cant use the brushes as brushes for texturing then?

It seems to me, that not in the same way, no.
There's no Shift Smoothing or Alt Inverse that i know.

The oil can be really tricky. There's some lack of control and when used on top layer, bye bye transparency.
Its better to apply the oil bump all in white and then give color i guess.

Still, it's fun, but probably for non-oil stuff

Cheers

PS: cresshead is gonna kick my *** for the hijack, but i thought the thread was more about the new plugin than the sketch itself.

gordonrobb
08-04-2009, 06:28 AM
No I meant, do we have these wonderful new brushes that come with the new paint plugin, available when we are painting onto the mesh for texturing?

probiner
08-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Projection Master.

Not really sure, but they look like good old brushes with assigned alphas that have an effect on the canvas and another on the Projection Master.

Cheers

jasonwestmas
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
No I meant, do we have these wonderful new brushes that come with the new paint plugin, available when we are painting onto the mesh for texturing?

No, you would have to create your painted image in the Paint Stop painting environment, save that image out and bring it back in for use with the Zproject brush or you could use it as a stencil/decal within other paint projection applications.

jasonwestmas
08-06-2009, 10:43 AM
My wife and I did a collaborative piece together in Paint Stop. I think the part I like the most so far is that I can turn off the RGB and just apply brush strokes anywhere I want to. . .more control, if desired that way. The color blend brush is pretty nice too though it's better to use it at very low color depth settings.

jasonwestmas
08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
No, you would have to create your painted image in the Paint Stop painting environment, save that image out and bring it back in for use with the Zproject brush or you could use it as a stencil/decal within other paint projection applications.

Actually this isn't completely true. You CAN use projection master with the Paint shop brushes. If you load paint stop from the documents menu and then exit Paint stop you will find the paint stop brushes in the tools menu. You won't be able to use them in polypaint colorization mode. You can use them in Projection Master. To see/apply the whole effect of the brushes in the texture map you have to enable color, shade and material options in the PM panel before you "pick up" the model.

jasonwestmas
08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
By applying a flat material shader then masking out an area on the model with a paint material and Zadd mode only (while the model is dropped), I can add brush strokes so I can bake them into the texture.

I pickup the model with the "shade" setting on and all the Zadd/brush information gets transfered to rgb.

I keep masking out areas on the model using a paint material only in small sections. I do this while picking up and dropping the model which creates seams but I can blend those out easily enough.

I can then export this RGB/grey texture map to photoshop where I can overlay it on top of my color texture and use the multiply mode to blend them together creating a painterly effect.

cresshead
08-08-2009, 01:45 PM
thread on paint stop gallery>>

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=73802