PDA

View Full Version : ObjectID pass like the one shown in the DP filter examples?

wacom
08-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm trying to replicate this for composting in AE

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99989&highlight=DP+Filter

And I just can't seem to get it to work. I'm trying to use the items info node from DP kit (using the Item ID port) with DP filter as seen in his example, but it seems to just give me black a black and white output. Am I missing something? Is there another solution?

So far I can get the other buffers to work predictably.

Thanks!

monovich
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
did you check the appropriate raytracing and camera type buttons in his plugin?

it took me some trial and error but I have gotten it to work.

Sensei
08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
In your screen-shot you're not using Item ID but Item Type..
This thread should be in 3rd party section BTW..

wacom
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I've tried both type and id...sorry. Wrong screen shot! Sorry too for the wrong section post...

Thank you though for the suggestions...

-g

wacom
08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
did you check the appropriate raytracing and camera type buttons in his plugin?

it took me some trial and error but I have gotten it to work.

Any chance at sharing? PLEASE!!! I'm at a loss...I'll keep looking at his site though and the threads...

monovich
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I'll see if I can dig it up...

monovich
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
ok. I really don't understand this stuff very well, but here is what I got to work. As is usual for me, I got this by kicking the tires until it started working.

-sf

wacom
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Sweat- thanks! I made something that seemed to be working last night with three random nodes set to different seeds, but it treated each layer as an object and was not as elegant as your solution!

Will give it a try- thank again.

Sensei
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
ok. I really don't understand this stuff very well, but here is what I got to work. As is usual for me, I got this by kicking the tires until it started working.

I didn't used Dpont's node to read Item ID, but if it's using it as-is in LWSDK, Item ID should be same as you have in .lws file in LoadObjectLayer, AddLight, AddCamera etc lines. So, it's something like 0x10000000 (hex value, not decimal) for first object, 0x20000000 for light, 0x30000000 for camera. Basically first digital is type of object. And whole rest is index to item.

Nowhere Man
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM

-sf

Your setup works and Wacom's didnt for a simple reason - the Color Tool's base color CAN NOT be set to gray, I mean, if the color's coordinates are equal, it's saturation is 0 and You CAN NOT change that kind of color by altering it's hue (You can test it yourself, just right-click on the RGB components to swich to HSV mode and try to change hue by hand). So, to get it to work, just set some kind of color in the Color Tool's panel. I like to go to extremes and set something like 255 blue.

EDIT: Also note, that one of Your spheres has the same color as the background. That's really not a problem, since You've got the alpha channel, wich You can use to multiply and extract all spheres - but - there is an easier way, just use db&w Extended Spot Info as a source of Item ID instead of DP Item Info.

dpont
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
As I see,
db&w objectID = DPKit ItemID + 10000001.8

Denis.

monovich
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Your setup works and Wacom's didnt for a simple reason - the Color Tool's base color CAN NOT be set to gray, I mean, if the color's coordinates are equal, it's saturation is 0 and You CAN NOT change that kind of color by altering it's hue (You can test it yourself, just right-click on the RGB components to swich to HSV mode and try to change hue by hand). So, to get it to work, just set some kind of color in the Color Tool's panel. I like to go to extremes and set something like 255 blue.

EDIT: Also note, that one of Your spheres has the same color as the background. That's really not a problem, since You've got the alpha channel, wich You can use to multiply and extract all spheres - but - there is an easier way, just use db&w Extended Spot Info as a source of Item ID instead of DP Item Info.

Thanks for the added info. The one sphere showing the same as the bkgd color was really bothering me but I wasn't sure how to fix it. I was fine just using the alpha,. Sometimes with this node the alpha doesn't match the plate, which I saw last night when using PRmotion blur and DOF.

I'll take a look at the DB&W node next time as well.

thanks again!

dpont
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
"Global 3D Shading" evaluates background like
any other object so you will always get a color
even with db&w objectID, but you can mix it
with alpha channel.

Denis.

monovich
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
so for neatness sake, as long as this is being discussed, could this then be used to overwrite another (unused) buffer so that we could pull that buffer into EXR Trader? That would be lovely: having my ID pass with all my other passes.

dpont
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
You can overwrite all LW conventional Buffers
in Pixel Filter node editor, you just need to check
the Buffer in the root panel and connect
what you want.

Denis.

gerardstrada
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Yep, Monovich, as Denis says we can overwrite any LW buffer. However, that buffer won't be useful as a ID_Object pass in a compositing package, since in spite of that I called it Object_ID in that thread (to make it more comprehensible), it's not a proper Object_ID pass. That's in fact an Object Matte pass, which can have AA, MBlur and even DOF. We could use it as in this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=781804) or with other tools. It's not so easy to use as a real ObjectID but it's more useful if mBlur or DOF has been already added in 3D, besides it already includes AA.

For a proper Object_ID pass we'd need to input DP_Item Info Node (curiously this way only works with it) into brightness of Color Tool (1/1/1 as base grey) and render EXR files without AA, DOF or mBlur. Later, we could add it as OBJ_ID layer with something like ProEXR, I guess (with the proper sintaxis), so that it might be recognized as an Object_ID pass in a compositing package by the IDentifier plugin.

Gerardo

Julez4001
07-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I wonder.
In 3dsmax, when you export ObjectID pass, it will generate a (256 geyscale) image file for each object.

Do you think its possible for DPKit to create a image/matte for each object in the scene file?

gerardstrada
07-18-2011, 10:14 PM
If I understand correctly, problem with a similar approach in LW is that a real ObjectID buffer is useless without a Coverage buffer (which provides AA to the integer buffer). Perhaps it could be achieved with a dilate/erode filter, but at least currently, (and even when in scalar data the number of GlobalBuffers/ExtraBuffers can be expanded to 48 buffers for exporting different objects/surfaces alphas), a single Object (Color) Matte pass generated in a single file is a more viable and easy way with DP FNE, I think. Would have to experiment a bit with your idea :)

Btw, as far as I've heard, 3DMax is able to provide object layers in a single render, that is to say, with the hidden geometry. If you are referring to this, I think Janus is a more suitable tool for this task.

Gerardo