PDA

View Full Version : most stable version of lw

dlanimation
08-03-2009, 06:04 AM
hi all
i've been using lw8.5 for quite a while and am thinking of upgrading to..a newer version.
what version is most stable?
os 10.5.6

thanks
d lubell
http:// www.davidlubellanimation.com/

Weetos
08-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Hands down version 9.6, both MAC and Win platforms

Compared to 8.5, this is a whole new world ! I could never go back

Kuzey
08-03-2009, 06:55 AM
At this point in time, 9.6 isn't that stable as it's not really complete like the PC version. It has a lot of nagging bugs and some that will result in crashes etc. Having said that, it's still the best version of LW...super cool compared to the 7, 8 series.

I do hope it will become the most stable version once the Cocoa beta finishes....which should start in a week or two.

So....the most stable for me is LW7.5 (I didn't like 8.5), the most productive is LW9.6.

A couple people have had a hard time getting LW9.6 to run, but they usually get there in the end.

Kuzey

4dartist
08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
We have been really happy with 9.6.1 UB. (with hub disabled) Crashes and problems are rare for us.

probiner
08-03-2009, 09:27 AM
You can disable hub?

4dartist
08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
You can with the UB version very quickly. Just rename the 'Hub' file to anything. I renamed mine to 'OMGYOUSUCKHUB'. Now it won't run. But you have to manually reload objects in Layout to refresh any changes you make in Modeler.

Oh I should say this is when running LW on a Mac. When you run it on a PC, you have to do an extra step, like adding -c in the shortcut or something, but a quick search will probably show the answer, I don't know how to do it for Windows.

battery555
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
hi all
i've been using lw8.5 for quite a while and am thinking of upgrading to..a newer version.
what version is most stable?
os 10.5.6

thanks
d lubell
http:// www.davidlubellanimation.com/

After I updated my OS to 10.5.7 LW 9.6 UB seems to behave a little temperamental. I can live with some of the bugs because most of the time I know how to work around it. One key strength of 9.6 is, it renders super fast :) Also take note of the lack of plug-ins compare to the Windows and Mac PPC version.

4dartist
08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
More and more plugins are UB friendly now. Heck even Fprime works with UB now. :)

probiner
08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
'OMGYOUSUCKHUB'.

True. So for me it would be:

- Use Lw with no safety net (LWhub autosaves in tempo folder) and have less crashes (that would lead me to temp folder).

- Use Lw with no safety net and less crashes.

Im a "Save Incremental" Maniac so i'll try without safety net for a change.

toby
08-04-2009, 02:28 AM
So....the most stable for me is LW7.5 (I didn't like 8.5), the most productive is LW9.6.
OMG I am not alone!! 7.5 on OS10.2, yea baby! More stable than Photoshop. I remember it did crash once, and I sat there and stared, utterly confused as to where my window went. Then - "Oh yea, it's called a *crash*"

toby
08-04-2009, 02:39 AM
i'll try without safety net for a change.
Don't forget to let us know how you like it!

boomforeal
08-14-2009, 12:23 AM
I have to agree that 7.5 on the earlier Mac was by far the most stable...I've pretty much gone through all versions since then....And I have to say that although I love Lightwave...... 9.6 is a lemon in terms of stability on the latest Intel Macs 10.5.
If it wasnt for the speed at which it renders I would of uninstalled it....I dont know if its just particular scene files that Ive worked on but I've consistently had 9.6 crash and fail to open scenes making them useless from that point on (the graph editor is a sure fire way to crash it, if you have channel followers etc)
The only way around it has been to constantly save out legacy versions as a backup, which is a pain in the arse!

(Note to the Newtek: I'd be happy to run Core Beta through its paces, but wont pay $500 for the privilege

hdace
08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
We have been really happy with 9.6.1 UB. (with hub disabled) Crashes and problems are rare for us.

Is 9.6.1 available for HardCore members only (I have not joined that elite group)? I've double-checked my registration downloads page and I've only got regular old 9.6 available. It was posted on Jan 19, 2009. Have you got a more recent version?

Kuzey
08-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Is 9.6.1 available for HardCore members only (I have not joined that elite group)? I've double-checked my registration downloads page and I've only got regular old 9.6 available. It was posted on Jan 19, 2009. Have you got a more recent version?

9.6.1 is not out yet, maybe next week if there is no hiccups etc...but it's getting so close.

Edit: it will be for all 9.6 owners :)

Kuzey

hdace
08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm confused. Is 4dartist part of the internal Beta group? How is he running 9.6.1 if it's not out yet?

Kuzey
08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
He could be....I'm not sure :hey:

When 9.6.1 hits public beta everyone will know. Newtek will usually post an announcement or might even email those in the previous beta process as well.

At the moment....I don't have it myself.

Kuzey

4dartist
08-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Somehow I assumed I was running 9.6.1, but actually I think it's just 9.6. If you go up to the About Lightwave it says I'm running build 1539. I am part of beta groups but our entire office is now running the public release. I dunno why I thought the public download was 9.6.1..

That doesn't change any of my posts though. 9.6 UB (Mac 32) with HUB disabled has been extremely stable for us.

Probiner: I'm going to give you some very strong advice. Use Time Machine for the Mac. (I assume you are running Mac because you are in mac forum). Time Machine has saved us countless times. It comes with the mac, and all you need is to add a external HD, internal HD, or network HD. Other than that, without your auto save I guess you need to form a stronger 's' tapping habit. :)

Edit: I'm running 10.5.7 by the way. I think my brain was flashing back to 9.3.1. :)

hdace
08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I thought I was going crazy there for a minute. Like that feeling when the neighbors are having a party and they didn't invite you. Yes, 1539 & 9.6 are the exact same build.

I also find this build very stable. And I keep the Hub because I use it all the time. I do have crashes but they almost always turn out to be my own fault. Like I recently dumped my X1900 card and went back to the one that came with my G5. That stopped a lot of the crashes.

4dartist
08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Hum ya I am using the X1900 on my MacPro. I think all of our MacPros have that same card. Could be why we all have Hub disabled haha.