PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics question

skywalker113
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I am animating a 4 legged robot walking along when one of its legs gets blown off.

I have the leg that will be blown off in another layer, with hard fx's applied. Its using the bones from the first layer.

The problem is when I calculate the dynamics, the layer with the leg thats going to be blown up is not moving with the bones.

sandman300
08-02-2009, 06:29 PM
there should be a "use bones from other object" option. I'm rendering something right now so I can't check where.

skywalker113
08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I have that option checked. When I turn on the hard effects for the leg that will be blown up, it does not go with the bones.

SplineGod
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
hardfx doesnt see other deformers.
Instead of using the bone influence try parenting the leg pieces to the bones.

skywalker113
08-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I am not sure what you mean

here are the files if anyone would be kind enough to look.

SplineGod
08-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Bones, morphs, etc are deformers. Hardfx doesnt work with them.
This means that objects with endomorphs embedded in them wont morph
if hardfx is applied to them. This also means that bones will no longer influence
geometry that has hardfx applied to it.
If you PARENT the parts of the robot leg to the bones instead then it will work because
they arent relying on the bone influence as a deformer to move the geometry.

skywalker113
08-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I dont have all of the parts that will break up in seperate layers. Its one layer with one leg with the breakup plugin applied to it.

When I parent the layer to a bone, it gets all screwd up and positions/rotates itself somewhere eles.

probiner
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Bones, morphs, etc are deformers. Hardfx doesnt work with them.
This means that objects with endomorphs embedded in them wont morph
if hardfx is applied to them. This also means that bones will no longer influence
geometry that has hardfx applied to it.
If you PARENT the parts of the robot leg to the bones instead then it will work because
they arent relying on the bone influence as a deformer to move the geometry.

Could someone do a MDD for deformers and a MDD for Dynamics and control blending between them?

Cheers

PS: because that solution wouldnt work for a organic model right?

SplineGod
08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Another option is to have two legs,
one that is animated using bones and the other is parented to the bones in pieces and has hardfx applied. Dissolve each leg in and out at the proper time.

skywalker113
08-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Do you mean put every peice in a seperate layer, then parent them to the bones?

SplineGod
08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Lets say you have a thigh bone and a corresponing thigh on your robot.
The thigh can have the main object with lots of smaller pieces associated with it
in the same layer but arent welded directlly do it. Those pieces will fly off apart when subjected to dynamics. You can do the same with the shin bone etc.

skywalker113
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
When I change the parent of a layer to a bone, the layer rotates and positions itself in a unpredictable way.

SplineGod
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Do you have Parent in place turned on?
Did you also tell the object to stop being influenced by the bones?

skywalker113
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I unparented the layer to the bone. Although, whats parent in place?