PDA

View Full Version : OT - Best brand and way to set up a USB hub?

Tom Wood
08-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I discovered that my Lexicon MX300 reverb unit expects to always be plugged into the USB port that it was in originally when installing the edit panel software. WTF? And now I've added some USB devices that number more than the number of USB ports on my machine. So, I guess I'm shopping for a USB hub. Any recommendations on brand and setup?

Thanks

cc3d
08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I've been using a couple of these

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=547772&Sku=D700-4000

for a while. No setup and work great.

IMI
08-02-2009, 01:42 PM
That's the same kind I have - 3 of them. Excellent product.

I can't say anything about Tiger Direct as I've never ordered from them, but Newegg is amazing. For all the orders I've made through them, they have not once sent the wrong thing, nor been late. And I'm talking many thousands of dollars and probably more than 200 orders over the last few years.
I can't recommend Newegg enough. :thumbsup:

Quiet1onTheSet
08-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I have to agree with this. We have five of these units and they work great!

Tsk, tsk, tsk!
:tsktsk:

You fellas apparently are trying really hard to risk burning out your USB infrastructure, if you're planning on connecting a number of devices, some of which require power via the USB connection.

Instead of those nifty little unpowered USB hubs, permit me to recommend that you google up
<Powered 5-Port USB Hub>, then also try...
<Powered 7-port USB Hub>...

Select one to your liking, knowing you'll be spending more money for the powered version, and go for those instead.

Just purchased a neat 5-port unit from Staples, bearing the GE logo (I have no idea who really, is the OEM for that device, but it's neat looking, built well, and works like a charm, supplying the appropriate power to connected devices, so as to not lean on the power supply in your host PC.

A year ago, I purchased a BelkinŽ 7-port powered USB hub from Office Depot - works nicely; very handsome design as well.

Q1

IMI
08-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Lean on the power supply?
None of my computers have less than 850 watts going into them...
But yeah, you're right, if you're connecting devices which need a lot of power, a powered USB hub is the way to go.

Tom Wood
08-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks everybody!

In a weird looking glass twist, searching like Quiet1onTheSet recommends, turns up this very post on the first page!

Instead of those nifty little unpowered USB hubs, permit me to recommend that you google up
<Powered 5-Port USB Hub>, then also try...
<Powered 7-port USB Hub>...

paulhart
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I recently got a M-Audio keyboard, USB, plugged it into my closest available RadioShack USB powered HUB, got and error message about "not enough power??" then re-routed the cable around the PC box and plugged it into the D-Link powered HUB, worked just fine... so my vote goes to the D-Link powered HUB.
Paul