PDA

View Full Version : Forum feature request: New Posts issue. Prefix all subforums!

evenflcw
08-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I use the New Posts page to browse this forum and I'm really only interested in posts concerning LW. But lately I have been stumbling onto posts belonging to other applications aswell. The reason is that the New Posts page shows the new posts from all corners of this forum and only displays the thread title and the subforum name. This is not enough to tell what section the thread/subforum belongs to if the subforums name does not include the name of the application.

See attachment. It's hard to guess what application it concerns.

I suggest and request either of the two:
- All subforums be prefixed with the application they concern.
- New Posts page allow user defined filtering, so we could set it show only threads from forums we are interested in.

It would probably be good to add a section or subforum that would cover discussions concerning the forum itself. Like this one. That would make it easier for posts such as these to reach the forum/web staff, while still allowing others to add their comments (not possible with email).

Thanks!

Tom Wood
08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
- New Posts page allow user defined filtering, so we could set it show only threads from forums we are interested in.

Do you know that vBulletin can do that? The reason I ask is that I'm setting up a vBulletin forum and could really use that feature if it exists.

evenflcw
08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I haven't a clue... but if it can't by itself, a web developer could. :)

EDIT:
Yay! Webdev AND do-it-yourself solution:
http://www.vbseo.com/f46/filter-out-new-posts-24416/

cagey5
08-01-2009, 05:36 PM
sounds good to me if it is possible. I've no interest in Toaster etc and would be happy to filter them out.

Comes under the heading of 'nice to have' rather than deal breaker, but it's the small stuff that makes the difference on a day to day basis.

evenflcw
08-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Hmm... the do-it-yourself solution only seems to work if you put in the actual (sub)forum ids (there is both include and exclude), it's not enough with the section ids. So there will be alot of them. Which seems kinda bad - it's supposed to be hierarchal, no? But NT should provide this, so they have a chance to optimize and not have everyone build their own queries.

probiner
08-01-2009, 06:41 PM
+1
altough it's funny to see discussions about "the other" NewTek products =)

Jockomo
08-01-2009, 07:13 PM
All I want to know is... when are they bringing back the calibar?!?!!!?+1

I tried to get them to do something similar to this... just get rid of all of their other projects besides lightwave, but they wouldn't listen to me either. Actually I think they have been filtering out my messages since 1998... but that's another story...

:)

IMI
08-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I tried turning on the New Posts feature, but got so inundated with Inspire 3D posts I had to turn it off.

Tom Wood
08-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Hmmm.. For me it would better to list the topics to INCLUDE rather than the other way around. vBulletin does have a prefix feature that can be made a required field, but I don't know if it can be implemented on a board like Newtek's with this much history in place. The topic prefix would allow more sorting options.