PDA

View Full Version : Software or concept help needed

Animapper
08-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey folks,

I am working on a project for a national food chain that wants to place 250,000 of their various shaped products (cereal boxes, soup cans, etc.) into the shape of their logo. This will be a large platform built to handle all the products in a park.

I have been tasked to design the products into the shape. I thought about modeling each of the 23 products they carry but that still wouldn't give me an algorithm to use them to build the shape. I also know the 250,000 number is what they want so it kind of works backwards from how I would approach this.

I need to basically build a 3-d mosaic that produces the plans for them to know what sizes we are dealing with. I'm not sure if there is any software built for this sort of thing or not. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarford
08-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Its a kinda vague discription what you give, maybe put some pictures with it to see what is the problem?

If it's gonna be a flat plane with 250.00 products on it representing the logo I would start in Illustrator (but I gues you can do the same in LW).

Draw the outlines of the 23 package groups and arange that in a cluster with the packages randomly placed next to eachother. Make that cluster consist of a few hunderd packages, without any repeating.
Draw an outline of the logo and fill it with these clusters, rotating them 90 degrees here and there to break the patern, then fill up the holes with parts of the cluster, all the while counting the total amount to see if you've reached your target yet. You can scale the logo size to incorporate more or less packages to reach your target. All in all, I thinks its about a days work.