PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Apple's OS will mess me up??

virtualcomposer
07-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I know snow leapard is coming out in September but I talked to an Apple tech about this and said that if I do the nonformatting way of installing that I may still have to reinstall my application programs. Doesn't that defeat the purpouse? Did this happen to any of you going from Tiger to Leapard?

IgnusFast
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
I wish I had advice, but I always do clean installs. I've had too many problems in the past trying to maintain upgrades.

Johnny
08-01-2009, 06:06 AM
I believe that apple advocates the upgrade path for all the grandmaws and grandads out there who just want an easy path to the new goodies, and are prbly fine typing a couple emails a week or looking at movies and pix of little megan or justin.

that's not the path for the power user.

I tried it once, and it was craptastic. I've heard/read loads of similar stories from those who did, too, and the best results seem to be obtained with nuke n pave.

J

Kuzey
08-01-2009, 06:10 AM
You have an option to archive a backup to another drive before you install new OS...I believe. "Time machine" might also come in handy but I haven't used either option. I just save a copy of the programs and user preferences and go from there.

Kuzey

bassmanjam
08-01-2009, 02:42 PM
The archive and install option should let you bring your user information and applications from the older OS. It's quick and easy.

However, it's a good opportunity to sort out what you don't need. A clean install is a nice. You can do a clean install and then manually transfer the things you know you want. I wouldn't recommend it for a novice though since you would be dealing with the libraries, preferences, and stuff like that.

Some software may need an upgrade just to work on 10.5 and I think this would be even more the case with snow leopard.