PDA

View Full Version : Record Enable

Sound Man
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
How about a "Record enable" on each input. If you only want to record 1 or 2 inputs there is no need to process unused inputs.

SBowie
07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
How about a "Record enable" on each input. If you only want to record 1 or 2 inputs there is no need to process unused inputs.Interesting comment, but I'm pretty sure that - in the absence of a source connected to the input - neither system resources are nor HD space is wasted in any significant amount. I don't think you need to worry about this, honestly. (To confirm, you could try a short (say 5 minute) recoding session with 3 sources, and another with 1 - I bet file space required for the latter is much smaller than the 3-input session.)

Sound Man
07-30-2009, 08:31 AM
If I have a source connected to an input but I don't need it recorded for an event but I do need it to through ( E to E ) to a switcher, Tricaster or VT then it would be a good feature to not select it to record. Showing my age here, I am thinking of multi-track audio recorders and the ability to not record a track that may later get recorded. This is some what the same but just selecting which inputs are saved-to-disk. One of the programs that we just did had a bad camera and it was in bars the entire time so we have a 2 hour recording of bars. Un-needed data using up space on the hard drive.

Bob

SBowie
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I see. Well, it's something to keep in mind. I'm not really sure it's really possible, given the design that is required to support simultaneous recording to and playback from the three angles. Honestly, I suspect it would break a lot of things in the workflow and code to disable recording of one or more views - but I'm sure the engineers will give it consideration. Thanks for the idea!

Sound Man
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Steve The 3Play is an fantastic machine for the price, I'm glad to be able to use one as a demo and to really put it through some paces. I hope that it eventually has multiple versions as my use is more of a triple event recorder and I really don't need the replay features (not somthing that a House of Worship needs). We recorded 6 - 2 hour shows over the 4 day conference and found only 2 times that we could plan on and use the replay features. But having the stock footage to go back and edit the switched program is a real time saver. so a version of 3Play that records with an E to E from the inputs to the outputs would be nice for a lot of folks.