PDA

View Full Version : copy/paste point coordinates

zardoz
07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Maybe someone could make a plugin to copy a points coordinates and paste them in other point or points.

What would be nice was to have 3 buttons: copy X, copy Y, copy Z without popups. simply click copy X and the x coordinate is copied and the we could choose another point or points and paste this coordinate (avoiding going to point info window)

and this could work with points or edges or even polygons.

tx

probiner
07-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Something closer posted this in 2006 :P The snap in 9.6 came to solve some situations.
Separate coordinates looks good too.

-Copy and Paste 3 values (XYZ;HPB;UV...,whatever) in one click. In this way, whenever you need to copy paste these 3 values you dont have to go back and forward to make sure you doing it right. This is good for when you want to operate on a especific center (existing point coordinates), or you want in layout to copy the XYZ, or HPB of one object and input it in other. I don't kow, in my point of view it has many possibilities.

zardoz
07-29-2009, 02:43 AM
yes that would be smarter maybe: Have a button (this in modeler) to copy all coordinates for the selected point and then have three buttons to paste X, Y or Z, I would prefer this situation instead of having a popup with checkboxes for the axes.
For layout we could have that too (we can do it in the graph editor, I know) for position, rotation and scale.

probiner
07-29-2009, 05:57 AM
If you want to copy and paste just a value from a point in modeler to another set of points theres a fairly simple way zardoz.

Select point, press y for rotation and rotate it (its a point, no harm done), in the numeric panel it pops the point coordinates. Copy the coordinate you want.
Select the points you want to paste the value, press v for Set Value, choose the channel and paste.

there could less clicks i know, but it's the fast i can remember. Still its one of those things that plugins people would do easy, if they hadnt done it already.

Matt
07-29-2009, 08:23 AM
This is something I've wanted to be able to do for a while.

I made some scripts that went some way (for mirroring / radial array) to solve this, but often you want to be able to use coordinates from some part of your geometry to put into native tools.

I work this way all the time actually, it's sort of a way round not having native snapping tools, or when you want to model in a CAD-like way.

LWCAD has made this a lot nicer, but I still use my little scripts every day! Real time savers!

zardoz
07-29-2009, 09:21 AM
I use your scripts for mirroring, matt, and yes, they are real time savers! thanks for those.
what I'm asking was simply for aligning points, I know we have some plugins for this, but I think that what I'm asking would be useful. The Info window makes us select some value and then paste it, that's a workflow killer. It could have these copy/paste buttons theres...it could help.

Matt
07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I use your scripts for mirroring, matt, and yes, they are real time savers! thanks for those.
what I'm asking was simply for aligning points, I know we have some plugins for this, but I think that what I'm asking would be useful. The Info window makes us select some value and then paste it, that's a workflow killer. It could have these copy/paste buttons theres...it could help.

Really? Cool, didn't know anyone was!

I use the 'Align Axis' script a lot for aligning points, in fact, it's possibly the script I use the most. I also use my own 'Align Points' script, but I need to update that before letting the latest version loose!

geo_n
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Really? Cool, didn't know anyone was!

I use the 'Align Axis' script a lot for aligning points, in fact, it's possibly the script I use the most. I also use my own 'Align Points' script, but I need to update that before letting the latest version loose!

I use your mirror plugin religiously. :thumbsup:

Matt
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
I use your mirror plugin religiously. :thumbsup:

Cool thanks! Once you've used it a few times, you realise just how useful it is! I can't live without it now! But I would say that!

:D

art
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Matt,

When I select a single point and run the Store_XYZ_Coords.ls it stores the center of all geometry in the layer and not the location of the point. Is it how it's supposed to work, or am doing something wrong?

PS. where can I get the latest versions of your scripts?

probiner
08-01-2009, 06:49 PM
After doing these ones i get your point better.
In generally its a shame you can't use more the data already in the model to guide new data. I guess LWCAD is mandatory for anyone that does inorganic moddeling in a regular basis.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/NP_both.gif

Cheers

Matt
08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Matt,

When I select a single point and run the Store_XYZ_Coords.ls it stores the center of all geometry in the layer and not the location of the point. Is it how it's supposed to work, or am doing something wrong?

PS. where can I get the latest versions of your scripts?

Should work fine, just tried it here, maybe you have an old version.

Here's the latest version:
Duplicate_Stored_XYZ_v1.2.zip (www.pixsim.co.uk/LW_Scripts/Duplicate_Stored_XYZ_v1.2.zip)

Movies showing it in action ...
Duplicate_Stored_XYZ_v1.2_Tutorial_Videos.zip (www.pixsim.co.uk/LW_Scripts/Duplicate_Stored_XYZ_v1.2_Tutorial_Videos.zip)

art
08-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks Matt. It works now. I had an older version.

Matt
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I need to get all my scripts on to my webpage!

probiner
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Found this
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/reselw/index.html
Allows you to do several operation acording the point selection. It's great since you can merge/snap mass amounts of points,using selection order.
I'm gonna use this on a lot.

And then there is this one
http://web.archive.org/web/20070621165740/www.ghostoutpost.com/lscript.php?code=1
Maybe faster.

All found with the help of http://www.lwplugindb.com/

Double post :D

EDIT: This one its kind of the same but allows you to choose the channels.

So many plugins for little differences :S There should be a big master plugin, and then scritps that would run it or open its UI with predifined saved options. Otherwise, just open the big Numeric Panel and choose the options.

probiner
08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
EDIT: This one its kind of the same but allows you to choose the channels.

So many plugins for little differences :S There should be a big master plugin, and then scritps that would run it or open its UI with predifined saved options. Otherwise, just open the big Numeric Panel and choose the options.

forgot to put the link of this one
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/converge/

probiner
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
(hit download and details) 404 not found =/