PDA

View Full Version : UV help - Copying UVs?

Algae998
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey all,
Im modeling a headcrab and Im running into some problems with my UVs. I cant get them to work so I was hoping someone here might know how to fix this.

I modeled my base mesh and did my UVs in modeler, then exported that model to Zbrush for some sculpting and texturing to be applied back onto this model.
I continued on with my .lwo model in modeler, creating weightmaps, doing some morphs and creating a skelegon rig...not changing the point order. I decided to check that model and found out that my UVs were pretty messed up. Im not sure how it happened but Im trying to correct it now.
My goal is to not have to redo my morphs, weightmaps and rig, so Id like to copy my UVs from my original model and paste them into the new version of the model with the changes.
The first uploaded image is the original model with a quick texture applied. The second image is the recent version of my model with morphs, weightmaps and skelegons with the same texture applied.

If I understand the process correctly, I unweld my original model, select the UV texture, copy those UVs (Image 3)
Then switch to the recent version with the messed up UVs, unweld the model (image 4), select the UV texture, hit clear map (image 5), then I go to Detail>paste UVs and merge the points (image 6).
Im not sure if Im doing this correctly, but as you can see from the last image, the texture map doesnt align since the UVs dont match the model.

In the UV texture, the white points have up to 4 or 5 points when i select one, where as the red points are just singular points. Ive tried removing the skelegon rig prior to trying this and I still get the same results. Im not too familiar with doing UVs or editing them within modeler, so any help on this would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Algae998
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
...heres images 6 and 7.

probiner
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Get this plugin from Dstrom. It has several commands to be activated.
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/vmap.htm#UVEdit

Go to correct UV object. Select all polygons. Activate "Copy UV". It will scan and unselect the polys.

Go to destination UV object. Create a new UV Map in Texture menu with Initial Value UNcheckd. Select all polygons . Unweld (Ctrl+U) and activate "Paste UV". It will scan mesh and deselect the poly and paste the UV. Check if the 3D polygons have good corresponce in the UV Space. All clear

Algae998
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the quick response. That plugin would be a live saver if it worked fully haha. I tried it on a couple different (32 bit) computers and the only parts that load are uv cut and uv mirror. Figures its not the two I need, right?:bangwall:

Ive checked flay.com and it leads to the same site. Is there perhaps any other sites hosting this plugin?

geothefaust
07-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm assuming you are using 9.6. Do you have an older version? Maybe you could install and try 9.0 or 9.2. That may work.

If you have something older, like 8.5 or even 8.0, that might be worth a shot if 9.0/9.2 doesn't work.

thekho
07-28-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40599&highlight=Copy

That's might help u!