PDA

View Full Version : Cinema 4D Rigged Character to Lightwave

smcstravick
07-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Hi All,

I have been given a fully rigged and textured Cinema 4D character, and i need to get him into Lightwave.

I have a demo version of Cinema 4D installed, and I have tried a few different export settings, but so far haven't managed to get the model into lightwave with either the textures or the bone structure intact.

Can anyone suggest a tried and tested method to do this? I have PLK if that helps.

Thanks,
Steven.

MentalFish
07-28-2009, 05:20 AM
All exporting is disabled in the C4D demo, are you sure you have the demo version? :D Anyway, have you tried all of these: 3DS, FBX, Collada and OBJ? Would think atleast one of them managed to export the geometry and the UV coordinates.

If you get the UVs exported but the textures are gone, then just reapply them in Modeler. I think you can forget about transferring a working rig from C4D to LW. Perhaps the new JimmyRigger would be a good option for re-rigging it after it has been converted?
http://www.origamidigital.com/typolight/index.php/home.html

jwiede
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Is there some new problem importing the rigging into LW using FBX or Collada exports by C4D?

jaxtone
08-01-2009, 03:24 AM
The question would rather be if there are any known functions that allow you importing Collada featured files from other softwares into Lightwave. I am talking about Collada featured files that are compatible with loads of other 3D-softwares.

Unfortunally it seems like NT havenīt come this far yet, and one should remember that this is a promised feature NT flag when they announced Lightwave before youīll purchase. Maybe itīs an empty box, a decoy or a dummy since even Collada files exported from Lightwave make no sense when you try to import them back into Lightwave.

Everytime Iīve tried to manage importing Collada files from external softwares, "and importing files are not meant to be a rocket science for a common user", I have to spend days to deal with support and tech teams trying to find out why this doesnīt work, at least not in the Lightwave versions realeased up to date.

Uack!

Is there some new problem importing the rigging into LW using FBX or Collada exports by C4D?