PDA

View Full Version : International LightWave User Group Meeting

kurv
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the first International LightWave 3D User Group Meeting sponsored by KURV studios.

In this meeting we will discuss the group and find out what you as a member would like to see monthly from this platform.

We are proud to present these sessions free of charge and we are working hard to line up professional artists in the coming meetings for you to interact with.

Join us today and lets show the industry just how strong the LightWave 3D community truly is.

Title: International LightWave 3D User Group Meeting - 001
Date: Sunday, August 9, 2009
Time: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM CDT

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 2000, XP Home, XP Pro, 2003 Server, Vista

Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®) or newer

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now - Click Here (https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/498478402)

kurv
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Updated Meeting Status:
------------------------------

Welcome to the first International LightWave 3D User Group Meeting.

In this first International LightWave 3D User Group meeting, we will discuss the following topics:

1.Stereoscopic 3-D and where LightWave 3D Fits in the pipeline.
2.The state of 3D today and finding a job in this deflated economy.

Register Here, Space is Limited (https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/498478402)

Our panelists in this meeting will be, (alphabetical) Rob Powers, Larry Shultz and Daniel Smith. All three of our panelists are very experienced in Stereo cinema with credits including Spy Kids 3D, James Cameron’s Avatar, and Aliens of the Deep (Lightstorm). With their years of experience and versatile backgrounds in Hollywood and TV these three artists bring a unique discussion to the table for both topics (stereo / jobs).

Your roll in the International LightWave 3D User Group Meetings:
We want to hear from you! This is an open discussion where we will be fielding questions from you to our panelists (microphone required).

So register today for this free webinar and come see what the buzz is all about!

Register Here, Space is Limited (https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/498478402)

About our Panelists (alphabetical):

Robert Powers:
Throughout 2004 Robert worked on James Cameron’s “Aliens of the Deep” Stereoscopic IMAX film on which he did creature design, rigging, texturing, animation, and in addition, he did the main title for the movie. In 2005 Robert worked closely with Microsoft, AMD, and Newtek to produce the first all 64-bit Windows animation in history for Bill Gates’ Keynote for the Windows 64-bit OS launch.

In June 2005, Robert was asked by James Cameron to be the first 3D artist hired for the “Avatar” feature film project. Working closely with James Cameron and the core design team Robert provided 3D concept and motion studies of key character, creature, and environmental assets for the film. Later Robert’s role evolved and he created and supervised the first ever “Virtual Art Department” for the film. As Supervisor of the Avatar Virtual Art Department he and his team developed all real-time environmental assets for the production, and developed numerous innovative “Virtual” workflow techniques and tools that defined the process.

Robert continued his efforts as Virtual Art Department Supervisor on the Peter Jackson / Steven Spielberg animated feature film “TinTin” where he organized and built a team in Los Angeles and worked in New Zealand with the Weta Digital Team.

-----

Larry Shultz
Larry Shultz - has been involved with computer graphics since the mid-1980s. He began using LightWave 3D in its early days for TV commercials and other projects at a CGI company he co-founded during the early ’90s called The Animation Factory in Albuquerque.

Since those days Larry has worked for such companies as American Laser Games, Sony Development, Discovery Channel, Netter Digital, Foundation Imaging, Amalgamated Pixels, Squarehouse Entertainment Warner Bros., and Lightstorm, as well as working on a freelance basis for many other companies. Larry is very experienced in almost every aspect of LightWave, working as lead artist, technical director, and in many other positions on a variety of projects.

-----

Daniel L. Smith:
Daniel L. Smith is a VFX supervisor and 3D Stereoscopic expert. He has worked on feature films, television series, commercials, and special venue films.

Daniel has been very involved with Visual Effects and 3D stereoscopy for nearly 18 years. His diverse path has allowed him to work alongside some truly unique, talented, and visionary artists in the Visual FX industry. Daniel also got to work with Allen Hastings and Stuart Ferguson when implementing stereo rendering capabilities into LightWave 3D back in the late 90’s.

Daniel has worked with Academy award winning supervisors and directors such as Joel Hynek (Predator, What Dreams May Come, Judge Dredd), John Gatea (The Matrix Trilogy, Speed Racer), and Will Vinton( Claymation, California Raisins.) Daniel has supervised stereoscopic projects for Busch Gardens, Radio City Music Hall, and Santa’s Village. He was also the stereoscopic supervisor on the most successful 3D movie of all time, Spy-Kids 3D (according to the 2007 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records).

-----

We are proud to present these sessions free of charge and we are working hard to line up professional artists in the coming meetings for you to interact with.

ranhell
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I’m in boys look out cause it’s going to get crazy with a lot of talented people......:D

Philbert
08-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Great meeting. Webcams would be nice but not required. I was working in 3D Coat and listening so it worked out. And yes I could do both effectively. :)

GandB
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I got the notice in the email today (too late). Guess it wasn't important enough to send out before today?

-Keith

Titus
08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I got the notice an hour before the meeting, it was interesting.

Titus
08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Great meeting. Webcams would be nice but not required. I was working in 3D Coat and listening so it worked out. And yes I could do both effectively. :)

It's a little annoying to just watch another people's empty PC desktop and the mouse pointer moving around in a random manner.

JamesCurtis
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
They did want to have the speakers in separate windows on that desktop for the discussion, but the way they wanted to do it couldn't be figured out in time. It was still a good discussion IMO. They said they're planning more meetings this way.

Philbert
08-09-2009, 09:21 PM
It's a little annoying to just watch another people's empty PC desktop and the mouse pointer moving around in a random manner.

That's actually the reason I went back to work in 3DC and just continued listening.

wesleycorgi
08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Not being in the VFX industry, I am always interested in hearing pros talk about their craft. It was very interesting at the very end when the question was posed about Core. The silence was deafening.

jameswillmott
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
It was very interesting at the very end when the question was posed about Core. The silence was deafening.

What was the question?

wesleycorgi
08-09-2009, 10:56 PM
The moderator asked the three guests, what they thought about the prospects of Core. After about 30 seconds, Larry finally gave a luke warm response (at best). To be fair, one of the guests accidentally dropped off.

jameswillmott
08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
The moderator asked the three guests, what they thought about the prospects of Core. After about 30 seconds, Larry finally gave a luke warm response (at best). To be fair, one of the guests accidentally dropped off.

Thanks! (Woke up too late for the webinar, had a sick child last night)

That doesn't sound too inspiring though...

kurv
08-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I got the notice in the email today (too late). Guess it wasn't important enough to send out before today?

-Keith

We sent notices out three weeks ago as well...

cresshead
08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
i thouht the idea was excellent, the first part talking about stereo cameras was interesting but as 'yet' i'm not sold on the idea that this time around it's not a gimmick but it's the future of cinema..we'll see, all i keep seeing is pointy sticks in ya face and that just annoy's the heck out of me and is a complete waste that actually takes me out of the film and into the circus/amusment ride feel.

the second half of the discussion was really good talking about employment and show reels plus the future of 3d apps and what will be used 2010+ by those speaking who are at the sharp end of the industry.

have to say great stuff Wes, well done of getting this together and i hope to hear/see more of these in the future.

aidenvfx
08-09-2009, 11:33 PM
My only comment is would it be possible to record these talks and then post them on itunes? With that said I must say thank you to KURV and all the speakers for putting on free events like this.

kurv
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM

We wil have that fixed by the next meeting. We are also going to take some advice from the attendees and do a tutorial section as well.

Thanks for coming out today. I think for the first one, it went well... over 400 in attendance, not too bad. :)

kurv
08-09-2009, 11:52 PM
My only comment is would it be possible to record these talks and then post them on itunes? With that said I must say thank you to KURV and all the speakers for putting on free events like this.

We did record it, we will post it VERY soon... gonna add some talking heads to it LOL

Philbert
08-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Oh good, I missed the first 20 mins or so, I was hoping I would be able to catch it on a recording.

walfridson
08-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Kurv

It was great fun!

GandB
08-10-2009, 05:52 AM
We sent notices out three weeks ago as well...
Never got them (wouldn't have gone in my spam box either); just checked my inbox back for a month....and nothing, except for yesterday. I often get up to 5 or 6 duplicate emails from you for offers, etc. I suggest you check out your settings you use for your newsletters/emails/etc.

-Keith

aidenvfx
08-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Never got them (wouldn't have gone in my spam box either); just checked my inbox back for a month....and nothing, except for yesterday. I often get up to 5 or 6 duplicate emails from you for offers, etc. I suggest you check out your settings you use for your newsletters/emails/etc.

-Keith

Do you use email clients or webmail? Only reason I ask is if you use an email client such as outlook express etc and a Anti-virus program that scans your email duplicate emails can happen.

Also why do you think it could not have gone into spam filtering?

GandB
08-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I use good old-fashioned Yahoo email. I check my spam mail everyday as well...I don't get much at all....it wasn't there either.

-Keith

adamgibson
08-11-2009, 03:32 AM
I thought it was kinda cool having the opinions of 3 top industry people with oodles of experience in the industry talking about Stereoscopic and the job market.

Not sure why people were annoyed by an empty screen.....I thought of it more like a radio show for 3D......and more fun than reading about it on the forums.....and when the advertising went out for it......I just assumed they were going to be just talking about 3D like being interviewed on a radio show. I think it served the purpose exactly as advertised.

And people were allowed to ask questions to the presenters for free. So that's cool too. KURV Studios has been providing all sorts of cool things that no one else has provided for the 3D industry and a lot times for FREE!!!

You can't complain when it's FREE kids!!! And it is all good stuff!!!

Adam Gibson
(Freelance 3D Artist)
www.adamgibson3d.com

GandB
08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm only complaining about not getting notified till it was too late. ;)

aidenvfx
08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I use good old-fashioned Yahoo email. I check my spam mail everyday as well...I don't get much at all....it wasn't there either.

-Keith

Ok I was just curious as I work for a ISP and we see approved senders get blocked from time to time.

MacGregg
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
It could have been more about LW that's the only comment I would make. It was supposed to be a LW meeting after all. I would have loved to hear more about their views on CORE for instance. I think that would have been more relevant to LW than stereo video.

speismonqui
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I think the group has made a wonderful job in this and past free webinars. My only thought would be to improve lw training websites such as kurvstudios and spinquad. Maybe offering free samples of the videos, screendhots and a user friendly interface. I know theyre not digital tutors os gnomon, but as Lightwave is evolving to Core, this websites should evolve too. I mean desktop images was great a few years ago, but now it seems to be an abandoned website, also without enough info on the dvds. For LW users would be nice to see not only this great free online webinars, but also, project based tutorials regarding modeling, texturing, animation and render in one dvd. I think this should help lightwave, the actual community and future users to get involved in helping lw return to the industry as the KING that it is! Cheers and keep on lightwaving!

newdogg
08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
great meeting! we need another one. really!

GandB
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Well; I've spent several hundred on Kurv videos over the last year or so, just the same...since I can't seem to get an answer as to why I'm left out of the loop (guess I'm the only one), I've unsubscribed from Kurv's Newsletters in the future.

If I want to find out about anything Lightwave, I'll just come here.

-Keith

NanoGator
08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Bums, I missed it. Hopefully a recording'll be on line soon.

Philbert
09-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Was the recording of this ever put up? I'm looking around Kurv's site, but can't find it.