PDA

View Full Version : Three-button mouse

DrStrik9
07-25-2009, 11:39 PM
The standard mouse that comes with a Mac Pro these days is far better than previous mouses (mice?) ... but still, I find that on average, I have to hit the right button at least TWICE, to get it to register that I'm not hitting the left mouse button. This is very frustrating (especially after a short span of working in Windows, where it's NEVER an issue) ... this is a constant struggle for me in Modeler only, not Layout.

I'm wondering if there isn't some third-party mouse driver that will improve this poor mouse-right-button performance? Or maybe another solution?? Or is this a LW bug, perhaps??

Thanks for any hints or help ... :)

Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB ram, OS X 10.5.7

Scazzino
07-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I use the 3-button and 5-button mice that come with the Wacom Graphire and Intuous tablets (I use the stylus for drawing) on my Macs. Those work fine for me... though I don't do much modeling in LW Modeler with it, I use LW Layout extensively but I use modo for modeling...

OlaHaldor
07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I rarely use the Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball stops scrolling after a while, and it's like you say, not so precise in it's left-middle-right definitions.

So when I'm not using the PC for a while, I switch the mouse USB connector from PC to Mac. It's a Logitech MX518. Love it till death do us part. I think the mouse will die before me. Hopefully. And whenever that happens, I'll get a new one of that very same brand and model without blinking once.

Iaian7
07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I rarely use the Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball stops scrolling after a while, and it's like you say, not so precise in it's left-middle-right definitions.

So when I'm not using the PC for a while, I switch the mouse USB connector from PC to Mac. It's a Logitech MX518. Love it till death do us part. I think the mouse will die before me. Hopefully. And whenever that happens, I'll get a new one of that very same brand and model without blinking once.

Yep, I have a veritable army of Logitech mice. Various models, but they seem to be uniformly awesome. :D The mouse is the first thing I replace on any mac system, and Logitech has never failed me (so long as I never, ever install the proprietary drivers, that is).

BlueApple
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
This is the thing that kills me about Apple. They seem to be very good at designing UIs and devices that are intuitive and easy to use. That is of course until you get to their mouse.

Perhaps they should put together a streamlined Appl keyboard that has only one visible button, and with a series of taps any letter or digit can be generated. A single tap for "a", a double-tap for "b" and so on. What beauty and economy of design.

BeeVee
07-27-2009, 03:56 PM
The problem with the Mighty Mouse is that the LMB and RMB are "controlled" by a single bar to the microswitches. It means you can never do anything with both mouse buttons at once, and even clicking in rapid succession seems to fox it. I, too, replace my Mighty mouse with a Logitech after about a week of frustrating use.

B

OlaHaldor
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh by the way, I can REALLY recommend a tablet. I've got a Wacom Intuos. I use it both for artistic work and on a daily basis with LightWave, Final Cut, etc... Can't live without it. The mouse however has its place sometimes.

DrStrik9
07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
OK Logitech mouse it is. THANKS, everyone.

I have a really nice tablet which I use for illustration and such, but I prefer the mouse in Modeler.

toby
07-29-2009, 02:38 AM
This is the thing that kills me about Apple. They seem to be very good at designing UIs and devices that are intuitive and easy to use. That is of course until you get to their mouse.

Perhaps they should put together a streamlined Appl keyboard that has only one visible button, and with a series of taps any letter or digit can be generated. A single tap for "a", a double-tap for "b" and so on. What beauty and economy of design.
Agreed, Mac mice suck booty.
Logitech! I've been using the same one for 6-7 years.

JeffrySG
07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I hate my mighty mouse... never use it. I've been using a three button w/scroll wheel standard DELL mouse on my mac for years.

dwburman
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm okay with the mighty mouse. The right click not working is annoying though. The scroll ball sticking can sometimes be fixed by turning the mouse over and moving the mouse around on a mousepad. At one point I did take the mouse apart to clean the ball. I followed instructions I found online.

I'm not saying I'd go out of my way to buy a mighty mouse, but I don't mind using it since I already have it.

Limbus
07-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I am using a Logitech G9 right now with the SteerMouse drivers. Its the best mouse I ever had. It comes with two covers with a different grip, you can add weights, a button on the top lets you adjust the sensitivity on the fly (great for precision work in PS) and you can even switch the wheel behaviour from smooth gliding to ridgid.

The SteerMouse driver lets you adjust speed and acceleration and you can map all buttons of the mouse to a command.

Cheers, Florian

Iaian7
07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
I am using a Logitech G9 right now with the SteerMouse drivers. Its the best mouse I ever had. It comes with two covers with a different grip, you can add weights, a button on the top lets you adjust the sensitivity on the fly (great for precision work in PS) and you can even switch the wheel behaviour from smooth gliding to ridgid.

The SteerMouse driver lets you adjust speed and acceleration and you can map all buttons of the mouse to a command.

Cheers, Florian

Another vote for SteerMouse - very useful utility, installed on every machine I use. :thumbsup:

hdace
08-01-2009, 10:03 AM
The first time I read this thread I thought I should just keep quiet. But now I think I really need to speak up. I have both Logitech & MM and I definitely prefer the MM. When I use it I get the feeling it's more accurate. I like the Logitech on my PC but not on my Mac. Still, I actually use my tablet most of the time but there are certain operations that are much easier with a mouse and that's when I switch to my MM.

OlaHaldor
08-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Interesting. I like the Mighty Mouse better on the Mac Book alu when I'm in Windows vs. Mac OS.

Lightwolf
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
I put the mighty mouse back in the box after a few days of struggling and hooked up a spare no-name mouse I had lying around. It actually made the Mac usable for me.
As Ben mentioned, the physical design of it seems to be the issue here, I've never used a mouse that was so stubborn in refusing to right click.

Cheers,
Mike

rknuckalls
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Mighty Mouse Scroll Ball fix:

1. Wet your index finger with Windex (lightly)

2. Applie to scroll ball and work the ball

3. Place the mouse on a lint-free cloth (I use a guitar polishing cloth) and dry the scroll ball.

4. Enjoy good as new Mighty Mouse.

Practically anything and every piece of dirt possible will stick to that thing, and then transfer to the internal sensor. The sensor must be cleaned too. This is why I use Windex. It transfers to the sensor too.

eblu
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm with Hdace.

I like my mighty mouse... alot.
I also like my logitec.

I don't find trouble with the MM's weird button concept, until you get to gaming, (where hitting two different mouse buttons at the same time is desirable) I have no awareness of the mouse having difficulty with "right click", and "middle click", I must have crested that learning curve.

and I like the heck out of the logitec M1000 (i think) until I try to scroll sideways.

otherwise they are basically interchangeable (for me).

tip for MM user's whose scroll balls have become slimy or dirty...
get a single, new, clean sheet of 8.5" by 11" paper,
lay it on your desk,
flip the mouse over, so that the ball is the only part in contact with the paper,
put a small amount of pressure on the ball, and...
roll it in both axes, for about a minute,
if you feel crunchies on the ball, continue rolling till they go away

that should bring the ball back to factory condition.

if anybody wants to get rid of their MM, and doesn't want it to sit in a landfill, just let me know. I'll be glad to pay for postage ;)

Iaian7
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
...I don't find trouble with the MM's weird button concept, until you get to gaming, (where hitting two different mouse buttons at the same time is desirable) I have no awareness of the mouse having difficulty with "right click", and "middle click", I must have crested that learning curve...

I think the problem is that it's capacitance based. For some people, this isn't bothersome at all, especially if you use just one mobile finger for all three buttons. But for those that rest their fingers on the mouse (and especially those that rest first, middle, and third fingers across all three button areas), it makes right clicking impossible - if it detects any presence of a finger elsewhere, it left clicks. I find myself lifting fingers in weird positions trying to get it working... then run off to the nearest store to find whatever Logitech is on sale. :D

It's rather unfortunate, because the MM can't be beat for 2-axis scrolling (at least for the first three months, depending on the relative cleanliness of the fingers involved, or so I hear). On the other hand, I typically use x-axis scrolling to flip through tabs in a browser or files in an app, for which a scroll ball is not particularly well suited! It just depends on how a person tends to hold and use their mouse.

eblu
08-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Iaian7,
I myself rest three fingers on the MM. its a habit from working in ALIAS poweranimator years ago, that I never dropped.

and the mm, is not capacitance based. its got one pressure based switch, that is sensitive to directional pressure (like a rocker switch). its very simple, very straightforward... the down side is that you can't chord (hit two mouse buttons at once) if it was capacitance based, trust me, it would be a much stranger experience.

Iaian7
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Eblu,
Weird, I've never been able to right click without completely lifting my left finger! Apple says it's capacitance (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB112LL/A/Mighty-Mouse), and Ars took it apart (http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/08/dissect.ars) rather nicely. Was there a different version of the MM that used a rocker switch instead of touch sensors?

(on a side note, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse) details the issues with chording on the MM - it only reports a right click if there is no left finger detected)

boomforeal
08-14-2009, 12:38 AM
The Apple Mouse have always absolutely sucked! end of story. If you're serious about your workflow then just turf the Apple Mouse and get a $10 3 button Mouse.
The Apple mouse stands testament to the design failing of form over function that seems to plague Apple....Yeahr it might look good, but its a dog to use.
I wish apple would just get over it.

Other Apple Form over Function Failings:

Usb and firewire ports at back of the computer on earlier G4 and 5's

The Apple cube (say no more)

Hiding file extensions option. What the F%33K!!!...Who was the idiot that thought this would be a good idea...I'd rather be able to tell a Targa from a Jpeg without having to open it.:bangwall:

Limbus
08-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Other Apple Form over Function Failings:

- Laptop Keyboard leaving marks on the screen
- bad wifi due to metal laptop casing

hdace
08-14-2009, 07:42 AM
The Apple Mouse have always absolutely sucked! end of story. If you're serious about your workflow then just turf the Apple Mouse and get a $10 3 button Mouse...

Hiding file extensions option. What the F%33K!!!...Who was the idiot that thought this would be a good idea...I'd rather be able to tell a Targa from a Jpeg without having to open it.:bangwall:

I am extremely offended at the suggestion that because I prefer the Mighty Mouse that I am somehow not serious about my workflow.

And by the way, Windows also has the option of not showing file extensions. Sometimes I turn it on and sometimes I turn it off because of Windows' bizarre issues. But the Mac Finder has several different ways of informing you of a file type without an extension, not the least of which is the icon itself.

You really need to get yourself a dictionary and look up the definition for arrogance.