PDA

View Full Version : Vue 8

guardonduty
07-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I knew it was already here. LINK (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/newsletter/)

virtualcomposer
07-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Hopefully they've stabilized it and also for economy's sake, lowered the price. ( :

dvfx
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Hopefully they've stabilized it and also for economy's sake, lowered the price. ( :

I wouldn't count on it. 7.5 xStream is nearly unusable with all the bugs and crashes. I have e-on support working on my issues for over a month now with no fix yet.

Their "update" section for Vue 7.5 on the website still remains empty since the day the software has been released. Which tells me there isn't an update that is stable enough for the general public.

I would tell all my friends and co-workers to to find another solution for hi end photo real environments. Wish I would've known what I know now before I bought it. In my opinion Vue 7.5 xStream is still BETA.

(BTW, just to clarify Vue may be fine for single frame art pics, but not for film and television, it does not perform as promised in their literature.)

virtualcomposer
07-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought there was another program out there that did allot of nice scenery nature stuff like vue??

3dworks
08-01-2009, 01:58 AM
I thought there was another program out there that did allot of nice scenery nature stuff like vue??

try terragen 2... no plugins for LW, slow rendering, but the quality is breathtaking.

I wouldn't count on it. 7.5 xStream is nearly unusable with all the bugs and crashes. I have e-on support working on my issues for over a month now with no fix yet.

Their "update" section for Vue 7.5 on the website still remains empty since the day the software has been released. Which tells me there isn't an update that is stable enough for the general public.

I would tell all my friends and co-workers to to find another solution for hi end photo real environments. Wish I would've known what I know now before I bought it. In my opinion Vue 7.5 xStream is still BETA.

(BTW, just to clarify Vue may be fine for single frame art pics, but not for film and television, it does not perform as promised in their literature.)

as it was with version 6 and 7. i wonder when there finally will be a discontent user rebellion...

cheers

markus

3dworks
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Correction. 5.... 6 and 7. ;)

you're right, i thought the xstream series did start only with vue version 6... but indeed, it's a long saga already :D

vue's version jumping is among the fastest in the business, which makes sense considering their very aggressive, user alienating marketing. xstream has always had a 'beta look and feel' when they already did release the next version. they just seem to care to get update fees and new users jumping on the ship, instead of seriously maintaining the software, making it reliable. apparently, without any serious alternative on the market (maybe one day terragen will be this...) they are not motivated to do better than that. one day, however, reputation will be definitely lost if they continue this way. also, because it is evident that vue did reach the 'consolidation' phase already, so they can't play the 'innovation' card anymore. if they don't start to care about their users now, then probably, never.

cheers

markus

Andyjaggy
08-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Haha. What a joke. They just barely came out with 7.5. Now they are talking about 8 and how this is going to be the one that finally works. Yeah right.

Stick to the infinite version if you want to get any work done. That and there ridiculous pricing system have kept me from upgrading from version 6.

waverguy
08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Check out this plugin for making vegetation. Any thoughts?

http://lwtoolbox.com/sumatra_about.htm

massmusic
08-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Iíve been looking at Vue since I lost the use of NatureFX which was what I was using to create a scene of 300 frames beginning above the clouds, camera descends down to about a foot above a relatively smooth ocean and flies toward an infinite horizon, clouds above passing by. After a HD failure all I have are the original .p files of NatureFX which are not 100% compatible with LW 8.5 so I cannot continue working on this animation.

ANYWAYS.......

The DEMO video on E-onís site looks impressive, but I am to understand from posts here I shouldnít let the video fool me. The confusion and frustration over the different views of Vue (one flavor does X but not Y and if you want to do X & Y you must buy a module or two but you wonít be able to do Z without an upgrade) is only surpassed by the inability to get onto the forum boards to ask users info (forget about info from e-on) without actually registering a product (red flag). However, you can register a download demo, but first you must give them personal information (name, address, telephone number) after which you are told they will send you the secret link to the download (been waiting for 72 hours now). All these complaints and I donít even own the software yet. My empathy to all those who have made the expensive purchase before me.

ANYWAYS.......

The animation awaits and I look toward some version of Vue (or any other software/plug in). Is it worth buying just for what I want to do? I donít do vegetation, landscapes, terrain or Poser. BTW- The still images Iíve seen of Vue kind of reminds me of Bryce.....

For this and all the other answers I have received, thank you fellow LW users.

Andyjaggy
08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I would only recommend Vue infinite, if you try to use extreme you will only get frustrated and suicidal.

And yes, it is possible to do good animation in Vue, but it takes some time to get the render settings right to get rid of flickering and still maintain decent render times.

There is a cloud animation I did in vue located on my website. The render times were about 6 minutes per frame for that scene.

Eagle66
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Vue 8 Preview Videoes from Siggraph with Ami & Vladimir Chopine

http://www.geekatplay.com/sigvideos.php

:thumbsup:

Magnus81
08-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm still using Vue Infinite 5. Old stuff, I know. The price is ridiculous!!

massmusic
08-14-2009, 07:43 AM
I would only recommend Vue infinite, if you try to use extreme you will only get frustrated and suicidal.

And yes, it is possible to do good animation in Vue, but it takes some time to get the render settings right to get rid of flickering and still maintain decent render times.

There is a cloud animation I did in vue located on my website. The render times were about 6 minutes per frame for that scene.

Thanks Andy. Vue Infinite 7.5 costs $895.00. I could get two and a quater CORE memberships for a package that I will not likely use again after 300 frames.... There must be a better alternative, yes? Ozone? Esprit?

Magnus81
08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I got my copy of Vue infinite 5 for free when I upgraded LW years back. Too bad there aren't any deals like that anymore!

dvfx
08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
I got my copy of Vue infinite 5 for free when I upgraded LW years back. Too bad there aren't any deals like that anymore!

IMO.....stay the hell away from E-on and Vue in any current versions (Vue 7.5 xStream). I would rather get a second root canal than waste any more time with this company or their sh#t products. Truly horrible. :mad:

...my point....you're very lucky if you didn't spend the money on them!

Magnus81
08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Thinking about getting OZone for backdrops. Any thoughts on that product?

antsj
08-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I obtained a copy of 6 Infinite in a purchase of an additional LW package. I think the no charge upgrades for that release stopped at 6.5x something.

I have not seen a stable release past the one I use and new features added on in 7,7.5 and now 8.0 have not exceed the ROI yet. The change in Vue policy to charge for each point release has also affected helped (4 me) the ROI value.

Programmers @ VUE could benefit IMO from the short article on sucking less that was mentioned in post on Sunday.:agree:

aj

Magnus81
08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
It looks good. I have Ozone2, but never really used it. It had a really difficult and buggy (IMO) screamernet setup and would often crash. Of course now they've got MUCH better looking atmospheres and clouds, but I would bet that the network setup is just as bad. From what I have heard and seen, the renders are beautiful and the integration is very good - but it is slow to render. If you plan on just using it on one machine, I think it would be a good investment. I guess it depends on what you will be using it for and how often. If not often, I would go with a solution in LW itself. If you will be using it alot, I'd say it's probably worth it. At least it's nowhere near as buggy as xStream! :)
I appreciate the input.

3dworks
08-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Thinking about getting OZone for backdrops. Any thoughts on that product?

i bought ozone 4 a week ago for a specific scene i'm working on and have to say that it's excellent. i've also a license of xstream 7.4 which is still extremely buggy and unstable with LW, which even crashed LW when only using the sky - that's the reason why i decided to go with ozone. the quality of rendered volumetric atmospheres and skies is really impressive, but you need fast hardware to render this in decent times! a trick is to render the sky alone without volumetric AA and playing with the ozone light quality settings (you can just drag the slider back to a value of -1), then render the scene parts containing objects with limited region and volumetric AA (which in any case when using ozone atmospheres is obligatory for object AA). if the scene is using GI and you want the object to be lit the ozone environment, you will need to set volumetric radiosity as well.

as for the workflow, the plugin is absolutely stable - there is just a little annoying issue with the 'ozone' camera getting activated after each parameter change. tip is not to use this camera as main camera, as it will be continuously keyframed when touching animated ozone settings.

on the other side, if you say just to use it as 'backdrops', why not use good sky images or high resolution renderings out of vue/terragen etc? ozone is only interesting imo for 2 reasons: animated skies and volumetric effects. if you need to fly through volumetric clouds for example, i do not know any other effective solution with such beautiful results.

cheers

markus

dvfx
08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
on the other side, if you say just to use it as 'backdrops', why not use good sky images or high resolution renderings out of vue/terragen etc? ozone is only interesting imo for 2 reasons: animated skies and volumetric effects. if you need to fly through volumetric clouds for example, i do not know any other effective solution with such beautiful results.
cheers
markus

Great advice. I agree, this is what a lot of people do.

there is just a little annoying issue with the 'ozone' camera getting activated after each parameter change. tip is not to use this camera as main camera, as it will be continuously keyframed when touching animated ozone settings.

This is one of my biggest problems with Vue (keyframes all over the place) Have you found a real workaround for this? (e-on knows about this bug,still no fix though). deleting the camera or using a different camera doesn't fix it, at least in 7.5 xStream.

3dworks
08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Great advice. I agree, this is what a lot of people do.

This is one of my biggest problems with Vue (keyframes all over the place) Have you found a real workaround for this? (e-on knows about this bug,still no fix though). deleting the camera or using a different camera doesn't fix it, at least in 7.5 xStream.

not sure if this is possible also in xstream - in ozone you can, however, check an option to disable all animation features. no more keyframing, but of course, no more animation of atmosphere as well...

but using another camera than the vue/ozone cam worked ok for me - just ignore the keyframes of the vue/ozone camera at this point. but in any case you will have to watch out those sun light keyframes, best to edit atmospheres always at frame 0.

3dworks
08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Markus, thanks for the info!

Have you by any chance used Ozone4 over a network? I'd like to know if it's easier to set up than previous versions - which were a BIG headache for us.

not yet... still expecting some explanation from e-on support. waiting, waiting... but i got a hint from another LW user on e-on's forums:

.. On each render node system you have to actually launch lightwave, and run the plug-in and go through the registration process. Then it works. Can't really determine if BFNR will choke on you however for some reason as it seems to blow up any time it can't find something and its probably the worst controller out there for least amount of LWSN packet dump information availability at your finger tips.
When in doubt, set it up and get it working in LWSN first, and then give BFNR a roll.

Magnus81
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM

"Backdrop" was a poor choice of words on my part. I would use photographs of skies as you mentioned, but I'm interested in animated skies for the projects I'm working on. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!:thumbsup:

calilifestyle
08-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Currently using vue 6. if i do upgrade it will be to 7.5 but only right before they pop version 8 and stop right there.

dvfx
08-21-2009, 03:30 PM
not sure if this is possible also in xstream - in ozone you can, however, check an option to disable all animation features. no more keyframing, but of course, no more animation of atmosphere as well...

but using another camera than the vue/ozone cam worked ok for me - just ignore the keyframes of the vue/ozone camera at this point. but in any case you will have to watch out those sun light keyframes, best to edit atmospheres always at frame 0.

3dworks, thanks...glad you found a work around, but unfortunately this doesn't fix it in Vue 7.5 xStream. problem is anytime you edit any vue settings in any dialog, it puts random keys on multiple objects, cameras, lights, even plants. This cannot be ignored because those items are in different places now and you have to go into the graph editor and delete all those keys! This makes it almost impossible to work on a shot with a keyframed camera.

Well good luck with the waiting. I've found that e-on support will answer you if it's a question that they WANT to answer and relatively simple - otherwise they let you wait, and wait, and... I would bet Vue8 comes out before you get that working via e-on support. ;)

This is true. I have given up on e-on software "support" after two months of "are you running as administrator" and other useless advice, they admit "yes that's a problem" and "will forward it to development" no solutions at all....BUG. So not production ready! (I don't care what they're marketing department says).

Oh and BTW their average response time to your support requests is 1 WEEK.
I'm having to move on to another environment solution.

clagman
09-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I ended up being one of the lucky ones. Vue xstream 7.5 was the ticket in vista64. I do get the bug where the camera gets selected after you edit any vue object. No big deal.

I do a lot with it and fprime. My main issue is actually with comping. It appears that the vue camera and the LW camera are unable to be matched. As long as you don't zoom or rotate it's not bad but if you do it becomes obvious. This forces me to use xstream which is slow. Overall I'm OK with it.

My fear is that 8 will create more bugs than I have now. Also with core coming out, I wonder if they will be providing a solution that works (even though they have said that they will)

liam.collins
09-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I was impressed with Vue 7.5 Infinite on OS-X 10.5.8... it only took 3 minutes shuffling some objects around to freeze the OS...dead...no life...power recycle...

Now that's coding!

clagman
09-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Can't comment on macOS. Seems like everybody codes for that one second to last (Linux being the last). He'll even adobe more or less abandoned that user base.

Magnus81
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Out of curiosity... and this is a serious question NOT meant to rattle anyones cage about OS.... why would anyone code for the Mac when the Mac can run Windows programs now anyway? It seems like a waste of time. I would bet that Windows programs run slower on the Mac, but how much slower? Is it really worth (time vs. app speed) to code for the Mac?
A Mac guy said that his LW ran faster in Vista 64 in Bootcamp than it did in Mac OS. That's what I heard.

liam.collins
09-13-2009, 10:52 AM
You have two ways of running windows programs on a Mac:

1. VMWare or Parallels which emulates a PC and is the one I use. It's not fast, but on a MacPro with 14GB of RAM it's okay for non-3D work. I haven't tried to play Halo or anything serious on it so I can't give an exact figure but something like SL (I tried it as a test!) won't run on it...

2. Bootcamp is used to run Windows native. I did try it once and it seemed to run faster than most 'Windows PC' of the same specification I could find. The Apple hardware is slightly different to a bog-standard PC hardware; some of the limitations seemed to have been removed. I remember a quote from a Microsoft engineer who said that the fastest Windows PC machine was a Mac running bootcamp.

In terms of coding, the Mac userbase is still an economic one for developers to work for and Linux is growing - maybe we will be 'third in line soon' :)

As for 'rattling cages': my motto is 'does your machine do what you want it to do? - then it's the right one for you...'

Magnus81
09-14-2009, 12:56 AM
You have two ways of running windows programs on a Mac:

1. VMWare or Parallels which emulates a PC and is the one I use. It's not fast, but on a MacPro with 14GB of RAM it's okay for non-3D work. I haven't tried to play Halo or anything serious on it so I can't give an exact figure but something like SL (I tried it as a test!) won't run on it...

2. Bootcamp is used to run Windows native. I did try it once and it seemed to run faster than most 'Windows PC' of the same specification I could find. The Apple hardware is slightly different to a bog-standard PC hardware; some of the limitations seemed to have been removed. I remember a quote from a Microsoft engineer who said that the fastest Windows PC machine was a Mac running bootcamp.

In terms of coding, the Mac userbase is still an economic one for developers to work for and Linux is growing - maybe we will be 'third in line soon' :)

As for 'rattling cages': my motto is 'does your machine do what you want it to do? - then it's the right one for you...'
I agree with the last part. I get so sick of the PC vs MAC garbage. I just want to see the art you're making, not what you're making it on. I get annoyed when people suggest to me what type of computer, OS, or software I should be using. I just want to be a better artist. Sorry, am I ranting here?:D

lwaddict
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I seriously hope that nobody's going to up to Vue 8, no matter what OS you're using.

clagman
09-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I have subscription so I definitely will be. I'll let everybody know how it works out.