PDA

View Full Version : CAD | Pro Engineer compatibility questions

BlueApple
07-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I was just told we are getting Pro/E files for a project but I am unfamiliar with the file type. I read up on the software (http://www.ptc.com/products/proengineer/wildfire5/index.htm) but don't know about it's compatibility or, lack thereof, with LightWave.

Has anyone worked with Pro/E files before? Any shot that LightWave or Illustrator can import the files without hosing the data?

calilifestyle
07-24-2009, 06:06 PM
export them as step file. or sl file import them in Blender and export them to lwo. have fun.

BlueApple
07-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the advice; I'll give it a shot.

BlueApple
08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I was getting .stl files which worked out great, but I have just been sent .prt and .asm files and am not sure what to do with them. Can Blender somehow import these?

THREEL
08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Also, you could get *.obj files from Pro/E and bring them into :lwicon:. The obj files should open up right in LW. You'll probably see a lot of Tri's using this method.

calilifestyle
08-16-2009, 03:30 AM
those file extensions are specific to its program. Unless some one wrote a plug for blender then nope. You could but that program that lets you convert files types. its not cheap but if your going to be doing this kind of thing then worth it.

BlueApple
08-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the assistance. I think we'll go back to stl files.

falogfx
08-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Maybe a little late but I'd really suggest exporting .obj files from ProE, just as Threel said. That's a much better option than .stl since .obj keeps surface info which makes it much easier to split up the object when you get it into LW.

Read more about importing from Pro Engineer in this thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100059

BlueApple
08-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I'll look into that, thanks.

Also, does the .obj export from Pro E deliver a mesh in tris as well? I am spending a lot of time trying to clean up these models. Is there a plugin that merges contiguous planar tris into single polygons?

calilifestyle
08-16-2009, 11:42 PM
while i'm not sure About ProE i know that in Solidworks There's a lot of mesh clean up to do either way.

falogfx
08-17-2009, 01:25 AM
I'll look into that, thanks.

Also, does the .obj export from Pro E deliver a mesh in tris as well? I am spending a lot of time trying to clean up these models. Is there a plugin that merges contiguous planar tris into single polygons?
Yes, the exported .obj will be tris.
You can use Reduce Polys command under the construct tab which does just what you asked for.
Use it on a few, complete parts of the object at a time. Most often it works but sometimes it will break your polys, ending up with holes.
Cleaning up CAD models is very time consuming.

herold
08-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Also, does the .obj export from Pro E deliver a mesh in tris as well? I am spending a lot of time trying to clean up these models.

As of LW 9.5/9.6 I'm having good results with .obj files exported directly from Pro/E loaded into Layout. If you have access to the Pro/E installation, you can adjust the tesselation of the .obj file to your liking by tweaking "chord height" and "angle control" in the export dialog.
You can export entire assemblies, though the assembly structure will not translate into parent/child relationships.

If you have materials applied to parts in Pro/E, they will come over as individual surfaces, along with a vertex normal map that you can apply for accurate smoothing. It's brilliant - I see no needs for rapairing meshes anymore :D There is a UV Map as well, but it's rarely any good.

If you import multiple parts in an assembly, make shure you uncheck "OBJ One Layer" and "OBJ One VMap" in the General Preferences.
And remember to specifically save the object out as .lwo - just saving will keep the .obj format, and it may not retain all info - e.g. surface nodes...

Okino's PolyTrans does a good job too of importing STEP, assigning materials and exporting .obj for LW Layout. Provided you have the right license, it will even import the native .prt and .asm files.

Good luck!