PDA

View Full Version : Help with Windows reinstall

hrgiger
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm trying to reformat my drive and reinstall my Vista Ultimate 64bit edition but absolutely cannot get the computer to boot from the CD. I thought it might be a problem with my bios setup since I did specify the correct boot order and so I called ASUS (motherboard) and they had me put another CD in and it booted from the CD just fine so it's something with the Windows disc that it won't boot from the CD. It has the autorun file on it so I"m not sure why it won't boot.

Anyone know why it wouldn't be working?

hrgiger
07-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, let me thank those of you in the alternate timeline/future where I never got it figured out. Fortunately, I did get it sorted. Turns out I had two discs with my Windows and I put them in the wrong cases so I got my install done.

evolross
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure... but I remember a long time ago in the Windows 95/98 days that I had a scratched install disc that caused me all kinds of problems in mid-installation before I realized it was the disc. I kept thinking it was my hardware freezing for the longest time.

Intuition
07-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Are you sure you have the right disc? Sometimes you can get them mixed up and the autorun wont work.

I'd say put some mustard and ketchup in the cd drive with no disc in and close it. Then superglue the actual windows CD to the side of the case. It may help. :hat:

wacom
07-24-2009, 07:55 PM
If you're on a carb restricted diet though, you might use ketchup with splenda or stevia.

I've lost over 1000 virtual pounds thanks to alternative ketchup products during installs!

ansfav
07-27-2009, 12:58 AM
why not just boot from os?