PDA

View Full Version : Some buildings

Anti-Distinctly
07-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I wanted to see how quickly I could get some models rendering realistically with vRoom, and I was pleasantly surprised, though I may be biased. Once I'd got into the flow of things I created the building on the left from scratch to the state it's in now in approximately four hours - though bear in mind that does include a substantial amount of tweaking time.

The plate is a shot of Durham House in South Shields, UK, with a DSLR.
The building interiors were generated on the fly by vRoom.
Render time was 17 mins on a Intel quad core
Composited in Shake.

http://newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75629&stc=1&d=1248440230

Wire occlusion render
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75632&stc=1&d=1248442716

moussepipi2000
07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Vroom 1 seem very very very powerful !

the first building on the left is 3D or real?

great !

want to seem Vroom on shot by night !

Anti-Distinctly
07-24-2009, 07:40 AM
the first building on the left is 3D or real?

The building on the left in the foreground is the only real building in the scene.

moussepipi2000
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Great.wonderful, exterior viz will be happy i think !

Matt
07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Amazingly, the _real_ building is the one that looks the most fake to me!

Great job, vRoom looks to be very useful for people doing these types of renders.

crashnburn
07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Nice job on the colour matching.

Larry_g1s
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Very nice work AD, I've had my eye on vRoom sense it was announced in the LW newsletter a couple months back. Nice to see it in action.

ingo
07-25-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the fine example of vroom. My only complaint is that the rendering is slightly misalinged, the horizon on the photo is lower than the one on the rendering. And the rendering is a bit to smooth for the photo - strange since often its the opposite.

Anti-Distinctly
07-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@matt: Oddly, you're the second person who's said that to me - Must be because the real building is outnumbered :)

@ingo: Yeah, I tried to do a single frame alignment in Syntheyes, but it just refused to solve satisfactorily, if at all. So in the end I pretty much had to eyeball it.

Shiny_Mike
07-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Very, very nice. The random semi-closed shades and interiors are super close to the real photo. (granted, most of the 3d windows are a bit more transparent in order to show off the interiors?) Great piece of software you got there.

Anti-Distinctly
07-27-2009, 02:47 AM
(granted, most of the 3d windows are a bit more transparent in order to show off the interiors?

While researching this, one of the things I noticed was that the glass reflection was not a standard fresnel response. vRoom has a fresnel shader if you want it, but I don't think it looks as good (and it's a physically correct model so it's slower than the alternative).
The interiors tend to show up if the interior's lights are switched on. I think the plate was shot on a Sunday, so the real building is unoccupied and hence has no lights on.

allabulle
07-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Impressive!

blackvx
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Wow :)

monovich
07-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I really dig this. the render and composite look amazing. I also thought that the only real building was the CG one.

probiner
07-30-2009, 01:04 PM
It didn't fooled me :P

There some strange blur that slightly make the fake "building come forward" and it's more visible in the bottom, in line with the red car and to the right.

Other than that: Fantastic Render ( makes my neck hurt from looking up :))

caesar
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
AMAZING!!!!

I thought the real building was the CG one too LOL!!!
vRoom is outstanding piece of software!

bjornkn
07-31-2009, 04:01 AM
Looks like a very nice tool :)
But how would it work for making buildings where the windows do not go from floor to ceiling?
Would you have to scale the window/glass up, hidden inside the wall, to fill the entire wall you want vRoom to build a room for inside?

Anti-Distinctly
07-31-2009, 04:28 AM
Looks like a very nice tool :)
But how would it work for making buildings where the windows do not go from floor to ceiling?
Would you have to scale the window/glass up, hidden inside the wall, to fill the entire wall you want vRoom to build a room for inside?

You use vRoom on 2 polygons rather than one. You make one the size of the window pane, then you apply the bump and reflection to it.
The other polygon will be the interior, so just make that one the size of the room and plug vRoom's diffuse node output into that one.

bjornkn
07-31-2009, 06:41 AM
And make the wall poly invisible?
But then the garnish, blinds, drapes etc, will fill the entire wall poly?

Anti-Distinctly
07-31-2009, 06:50 AM
And make the wall poly invisible?

Not so much making it invisible. Just using the reflection and bump (and having the 'evaluate per' options set to poly or spot) from the vRoom node means that the interior will not be created in that instance of the shader as it is not required.

But then the garnish, blinds, drapes etc, will fill the entire wall poly?

Yes. But there is always the option to get vRoom to treat it as a blind, then use the blinds up/down value to manipulate it's y location.
Or, a slightly more awkward solution is to just make a new set of garnish images that are scaled down on their y axis.

Red_Oddity
07-31-2009, 07:23 AM
The only thing giving it away right away is the fact that the CG footage lacks the chromatic aberration on the edges of the lens.

Look at the bird and now check the same spot on the other side of the lens, the buildings are clearly missing the chroma shifts.

Besides that, very nice render and comp.

m0184you
07-31-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm very pleased with results! Cool plug! :)

Cageman
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Yep!

vRoom is defenately a very innovative product, and it is nice to see that it holds up so well in photoreal situations!

Great work, Luke!

tyrot
09-05-2009, 08:03 PM
dear anti

I really liked the plugin after playing it with a while..But in this economic conditions 300+ dollars is way too much... Do you have plans to reduce the price a bit?

I know it is a genius idea and very amazing execution and you need money but i as a member of bleeding archviz industry asking for a decent price reduction...

thank you for your consideration...

BEST

Larry_g1s
09-05-2009, 09:18 PM
300 dollars? Where are you located? It's $256 here in the US. I understand your request. This would definitely not be a plug-in for the generalist right now. At that price, your best bet is to work it across a couple a projects to pay for itself.

JonW
09-07-2009, 12:00 AM
As already mentioned, the real building looks like the fake one!

There is a hint of chromatic aberration on it that gave it away, same as the cars. If you havenít shot RAW, do so & then you can easily fix this as well. And the overall appearance of the photo will look sharper & you can res up a bit if you need more pixels.

Really nice!

revengeofmonty
09-07-2009, 06:18 AM
:cry:

It's just so pretty...

Anti-Distinctly
09-07-2009, 08:32 AM
There is a hint of chromatic aberration on it that gave it away, same as the cars. If you havenít shot RAW, do so & then you can easily fix this as well. And the overall appearance of the photo will look sharper & you can res up a bit if you need more pixels.

It was shot RAW. I'm unfamiliar with how to fix the chromatic aberration and I thought about splitting the RGB channels in Shake and applying an offset to match the plate.
But yeah, the comp isn't the best I know.

Again, thanks for all the comments everyone - it's very much appreciated.

monovich
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
well the comp is pretty damn good to me. :)

Aaron_Price
09-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm much better with Photoshop than Lightwave, fantastic work better than what I could currently do. However I figured out the buildings next to the real one were fake straight away. What gave it away was the rough anti-aliasing edges around the lamp posts and the tree has lost some of it's details as it's overlayed the fake buildings. :D

If it wasn't for those little things you would have fooled me :thumbsup:

Hieron
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Hmm the plugin says it doesn't work with HDI, does this mean you can't instance the object which has surfaces with Vroom applied to it, it crashes just trying, it doesn't reflect instanced objects??

If you just can't instance a vRoom object, then np's. If you can't have HDI and vRoom in the same scene, then that is troublesome.. I would gladly try, but vRoom demo needs to run with dongle out, and HDI won't render with the dongle removed :)

biliousfrog
10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Very nice Luke, I'll be putting it to good use on this Isle of White job very shortly.

Chromatic aberration is easy to remove either with the Adobe RAW importer or by using Photoshop's Lens Correction filter (under Distort). Offsetting the channels won't work as CA affects the edge of the lens more than the centre.

Regarding the price...it might seem expensive but consider the alternatives, solid windows or dressing every room. Solid windows look ok for concept work but not much else. Dressing rooms is very expensive, both in terms of render time and production time. Luke's render uses several different rooms and several different drapes and blinds, how long would it take to do all of that by hand?...now work out how much you'd charge for all that work...it's really not expensive at all when you think about it. Sure, not everyone has the money to spend on it but it's certainly not an expensive product. It's a tool which makes a particular process much faster and should be considered as such.

Anti-Distinctly
10-01-2009, 09:08 AM
If you just can't instance a vRoom object, then np's. If you can't have HDI and vRoom in the same scene, then that is troublesome.. I would gladly try, but vRoom demo needs to run with dongle out, and HDI won't render with the dongle removed :)

It just means that HD Instance wont be able to render vRoom's effects.
I wouldn't think there'd be any problems using HDI in the same scene and none of the betas, at least one of which tried HDI if my memory serves, reported any problems at all.

Anti-Distinctly
10-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Very nice Luke, I'll be putting it to good use on this Isle of White job very shortly.

Excellent. I'm working on v1.2 right now which you may need for that job actually. I've added the radial mode so it should be able to handle the circular building now. If you want to use the beta on the project drop me a line.

biliousfrog
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Excellent. I'm working on v1.2 right now which you may need for that job actually. I've added the radial mode so it should be able to handle the circular building now. If you want to use the beta on the project drop me a line.

ooh...goody!

I might do, I still need to figure all that out. I can probably get away with just different surfaces as the curved bit actually has flat windows rather than following the balcony...early days as yet.