PDA

View Full Version : Fiber FX Problems!

jaxtone
07-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I thought I added this thread yesterday but it seems to vanished during the night so I add it once again!

I am pretty new to the FFX interface and have a problem I donīt understand! I watched a basic tutorial by William Vaughn at:

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/free-lightwave-9-5-fiberfx-t16982.html

I did the same as him, hopefully to get the same result, but something weird happend. When I render the scene the grass looks more like a ghost cloud than a thick lawn! See attached image!

I also noticed that FFX is dead slow as soon as shadows are added to Lightwaves render options. I run a pretty fast Quad with Vista 64 bit on it but FFX really feels like I was thrown back somwhere in the 90īs.

Anyone knows what settings are wrong in the FFX panel?

Max Wolf
07-23-2009, 11:34 AM
whats the size of obj?

Eye Bleed
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Try turning up the density to around 100-300. 40 is pretty sparse.

3DGFXStudios
07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice effect!

jaxtone
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Itīs 400x400 meters!

whats the size of obj?

jaxtone
07-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Hehehe... well it was grass I wanted but if I wanted som ghost effect I agree!

Nice effect!

This is what it looks like in the Lightwave Perspective window, see attachment!

Max Wolf
07-23-2009, 05:06 PM
ok try maken a smaller one. the on in the video is like 3m x 3m

jaxtone
07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok!

Thanks for letting me now.

This is kind of strange. I need a lawn with grass in the background of a road that runs for miles. I have tried to model every piece in that scene as realistic as possible.

Just wondering about how often is a lawn 3X3 meters in the real world?

ok try maken a smaller one. the on in the video is like 3m x 3m

Max Wolf
07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
um not realy anywhere but rember u dont have to make stuff to scale in 3d

jaxtone
07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi MaxWolf!

No you are right in this. I donīt have to make stuff in real life scales! But you know what? I am probably wasted by my work experience from co-operating with industrial customers. In those projects itīs never realistic to work without adapting each moment in an animation to the real world.

It would be too complicated to resize parts in a massive animation scene especially as many parts are made industrial CAD and supposed to fit in with thousands of other items.

So even if this is just a roadtrip scene for a music video I still use the real life size by routine.

um not realy anywhere but rember u dont have to make stuff to scale in 3d

Max Wolf
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
ok i see ^^ np
try puting your scale at 100%
its at 600 right now

sandman300
07-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I was having the same problem. What I eventually found was that making guides in modeler will fix the issue. This is the thread I was posting http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97254 .

jaxtone
07-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi Sandman!

I looked into the thread you directed to. Very nice improvement from the first stage into the final view.

Got some questions...

Maybe I read the threads to fast but I couldnīt see any explanation to the guides you mention...

What about render times? Doesnīt 15 minutes per frame seem to be extremely long for a shot like that? Is it the FFX that slows down the process when you add the "volume" box? Iīve found out that the "volume" option is awesome when you wanna slow down the FFX.

In my link to William Vaughanīs tutorial no "volume" was necessary to make the grass grow!

P.S. Was the particled dandelions set to the tip of each grass straw or just randomized to pop up anywhere at the same altitude?

I was having the same problem. What I eventually found was that making guides in modeler will fix the issue. This is the thread I was posting http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97254 .

sandman300
07-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I looked into the thread you directed to. Very nice improvement from the first stage into the final view.

Got some questions...

Maybe I read the threads to fast but I couldnīt see any explanation to the guides you mention...

In modeler use the strand maker to create guides that will allow you to use dynamics on the fibers. It also seems to allow you to control the fibers better, all those %s in the fiber FX panel make more sense.

What about render times? Doesnīt 15 minutes per frame seem to be extremely long for a shot like that?

Not really considering that I was running a dual core CPU, the landscape render subpatch level was set to 90, and don't forget about the 100,000+ particles. 15mins not bad at all.

Is it the FFX that slows down the process when you add the "volume" box? Iīve found out that the "volume" option is awesome when you wanna slow down the FFX.

In my link to William Vaughanīs tutorial no "volume" was necessary to make the grass grow!

P.S. Was the particled dandelions set to the tip of each grass straw or just randomized to pop up anywhere at the same altitude?

The particles were just random from the emitter, with all the motion there was no need to get any more detailed.

The way I finally set it up was to save the fiber motion and then load it into the emiter.
:)