PDA

View Full Version : wtf is up with the carpaint shader??

toby
07-23-2009, 05:30 AM
No Fresnel for reflection??

Sure, we can 'add our own', but what's the point of a carpaint shader then?? Might as well have us make the whole thing from scratch.

And how many people do you think are using it without knowing about Fresnel or how wrong it looks?? It just ends up making LW itself look amatuer. Considering the relationship that NT has had with digital domain, you'd think they'd know better.

3DGFXStudios
07-23-2009, 05:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with the carpaint shader?

Matt
07-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I could be wrong, but don't _some_ of the material shaders have fresnel built in, while others you need to hook it up?

Maybe Antti can clarify with do / don't or if they all have it?

Tobian
07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Actually, having just recently built my own fairly comprehensive reflections based car paint shader.. seeing the mess it makes on my screen, not that much: It takes away a lot of the pain for people who don't know how to make a complex BRDF reflection shader.

That said, yes, Fresnel should have been built in to it, but it takes about 2 seconds to put a Fresnel node into the mixer ammount :) Still, the inpenetrable Lightwave manuals don't make this easy to know!

I think that's one of the problems a lot of people have with Lightwave: It's not that these things aren't possible, they are actually VERY easy to do, it's just very little is 'simple'. Things like Dielectric are very nice, they pretty much work as they should, but not all the material nodes are explanatory (I mean 'simple' skin - how unsimple!:D). Lightwave does need to come with more built in presets which are more advanced and use nodes properly. Due to the likes of Preset Central etc, there is access to them, but not everyone knows these resources are there - and more to the point: They don't know the good from the bad! I've seen a good few presets up there that are a bit duff, and a noob is not going to know!

cresshead
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
yeah..moving on to CORE i'm hopeful nwtek will ship it with a full on matrial lib and base production shader collection..just have a look at what's available for Vray..stunning shaders.

http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_products/0

Matt
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
yeah..moving on to CORE i'm hopeful nwtek will ship it with a full on matrial lib and base production shader collection

I think v1.0 will be too early for things like this.

Intuition
07-23-2009, 11:42 AM
yeah..moving on to CORE i'm hopeful nwtek will ship it with a full on matrial lib and base production shader collection..just have a look at what's available for Vray..stunning shaders.

http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_products/0

Heh, Vray.... nuff said.

Seriously, Newtek should just implement Kray or Vray as the bundled engine for core. A little more emphasis on LWF would help in general. Modo's render engine is set up for this from scratch and 401 has frame buffer gamma like the vray frame buffer in max..

delonious
12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
hey guys - it takes a little tweaking but car paint works great-

here's the two key sliders:

balance of "paint <-> clearcoat"
balance of "paint <-> specular"

the realistic sweet spot on those two is somewhere around 30-70%

scale of flakes (keep them very small in relation to your project)
leave advanced as is - the presets are very good.