PDA

View Full Version : Sabre

Lamont
08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
For those of you interested in node-based texturing for Lightwave...

http://kaniserver.homeip.net/%7Ekonoha/psycho/Plugin/sabre_doc/index.html

wiremuse
08-24-2003, 09:03 PM
happy happy joy joy

policarpo
08-24-2003, 09:38 PM
cool...someone let us know how it works out. :)

KillMe
08-24-2003, 09:55 PM
hm interesting - no idea how it works but interesting - maybe a tutorial might appear someday until then its to confusing for me =)

Lamont
08-24-2003, 10:09 PM
It's pretty damn cool, the only problem I see is just speed in the work window...

Randog
08-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
For those of you interested in node-based texturing for Lightwave...

http://kaniserver.homeip.net/%7Ekonoha/psycho/Plugin/sabre_doc/index.html

Nice Find!

I would love to have this option in LW.

Lamont
08-24-2003, 10:42 PM
As soon as I finish this model, I am gonna give it another shot...

EyesClosed
08-24-2003, 11:56 PM
This has alot of potential (it's something that LightWave desperately needs), but it seems to be an early beta. Many of the features aren't even implemented yet, it seems.

KenM
08-25-2003, 12:40 AM
I'd been working with a way to use Shaderman (Renderman-based node shader writing) and Lightwave together, and can barely express how happy I am with this!

labuzz
08-25-2003, 03:04 AM
Good News!
Any Demo around for Sabre?

Hey KenM, it sounds really interesting, give us info, Let mebe in the Beta team!

:)

Dodgy
08-25-2003, 05:16 AM
It's free at the moment :) Just download it...

All the docs are in Japanese though, so any jap speakers out there could you do a bit of translation for the harder parts?

Most of it seems straightforward, but a few things could do with some explanation :P Like bump mapping for example... ?

Cobalt
08-25-2003, 05:45 AM
As a non-programmer type, who has been baffled by the complexity of the Maya shader network system and feels right at home with the great results and ease of use of the Lightwave Shader and Texture editors ... what advantage does node based shading offer?

facial deluxe
08-25-2003, 05:58 AM
... Flexibility.

Say you make a complex shading involving several layers of maps, gradients and procedural.
Well you have this as a "shader element" and are enable to plug this in any channel you want. Or oposite, add an effect on the global element (like a displace or else).

With LW actual Layers, you often have to duplicate several same layers to make them act on all "previous layers"
And if you want to modify them, you have to reedit all of them one by one (long and confusing)

zarti
08-25-2003, 06:35 AM
Hey, this is it!
this is an really option or almost a replacement for the Surface Editor!
this is the event!
I rendered a hole room reflectet (and blured if you want) in a ball
with......can you imagine (??!!): Reflection unchecked in the rendering options panel......and preety fast too!
this is an event, my coleagues!

In the begining, for 15 minutes my lightwave crashed almost 40 times, but I never gived up till I realised that i must set 1 Thread option in my render settings.

We must suport Sabres developers, but in order to do that we need English docs.

COOl! Thats it!

If LW8 has not this option (I believe that), i think NewTek must
support strongly this "plugin".

RESPECT!

Lamont
08-25-2003, 06:56 AM
My wife said maybe she'll help me translate the docs. I am having an ok time, but when I hit kanji, it starts to suck.

zarti
08-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Ok Lamont. If you release anything on that please let us know.
I really appreciate that! i think also if anyone else here can do
the same, please let do it. this could be a way to demonstrate the good sense of community that LW has.

RESPECT!

c i k l o n
08-25-2003, 07:29 AM
I translate with ----> http://world.altavista.com/

I always use Babel Fish to translate from Japanese to English !

I use section : Translate a Web page

Before translating I delete all Temporary Internet Files.

After translating I go to the my --> C:\Documents and Settings\X\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files and copy all files in my Tutorial folder.

sorry for my bad english :D

Karmacop
08-25-2003, 07:33 AM
I remember translating some japanese plugin docs with Babel once ... everytime it said uv map it translated it to ultra-violet radiation map :p

zarti
08-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks U r a g a n !

This is just what Im doing now!

Thanks!

c i k l o n
08-25-2003, 07:42 AM
You velcome zarti :)

Nema na cemu !

zarti
08-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by c i k l o n
You velcome zarti :)

Nema na cemu !

Sta recis bre?

riki
08-25-2003, 08:38 AM
yeaah my japanese GF arrives in sydney in 2 weeks.

Karmacop
08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Riki, I paid express and got mine in 5 working days .... :p

riki
08-25-2003, 08:58 AM
haha

I shouldn't laugh, I know my world is going to be turned upside down very soon :)

Lamont
08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I do not use Babel, it takes a lot of stuff literally, and if you do not know what to look out for, you will get even more lost.

Babel barely handles Spanish...

garg
08-25-2003, 10:06 AM
I must admit the Sabre interface is realy nice. Bit disapointed by the flickering... And realy need some english docs :-)

Beside that check out Amelie:
http://www.rayserver.com/amelie

It even act also as a procedural texture (that you may apply every where a texture is used). It doesn't support (at least yet) all those fancy raytracing things but you can already create a lot of interresting things.

Alain Bertrand

policarpo
08-25-2003, 10:16 AM
hrmmm...interesting...so what are you telling us Garg. :)

garg
08-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Well... I'm just saying Amelie can already handle textures. Not special things like own raytracer or whatever.

If we see strong interrest in adding more texture/shader tools inside Amelie then we can just start working on it.

Alain Bertrand

Mylenium
08-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Oh yes, Alain, pleeeeaaase! It would be too nice if those both tools could be fusioned into one. Not to beat at the Japanese guy, but I guess we won't see much support from him and the shader quite likely will be stuck in permanent beta (and thus risky to use in production). If such tools are not in LW8 already, this could really turn the tide for LW. It still makes me wonder why NT are so reluctant or incabable of doing it themselves if third party developers can do it. At least to me the benefits of node based systems are quite obvious (especially for this pesky multi layering texture stuff).

Just a reminder: Don't forget particle support for Amelie - I'd jsut love that! ;)

Mylenium

garg
08-25-2003, 12:10 PM
We will try to contact those guys and see if they are interrested in some collaboration.

Alain Bertrand

KillMe
08-25-2003, 12:44 PM
cool stuff- would eb awesome of have the two combined ( cource i would still need some pointers on how to work it heh but at least the doc's should come in english

zarti
08-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Yes I agree with someone's post up here....
How is it possible that one brave japanese guy started this new
perspective for LW and on the other side NewTek people ......

So, i am asking: where can we, LW users, have a built-in one
or at least a good integrated plugin like that?...... or in the END
How much does it costs to NewTek to support or encourage this kind of wonders for LW-users, but older or ordinary for the
OTHER 3D PACKAGE-users?

ghopper
08-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by garg
We will try to contact those guys and see if they are interrested in some collaboration.

Alain Bertrand

cool, collaboration sounds good ;)

note: original reply deleted

garg
08-25-2003, 10:41 PM
It was not my intention to make an advertisement. Realy. If it was taken like that I'm sorry.

Alain

facial deluxe
08-26-2003, 02:40 AM
Alain, take it easy, I think ghopper was joking :)
It's really good to read active coders as you :)

Dailleur, mon beau frre est Suisse, du cot de Martini je crois :)

ghopper
08-26-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by facial deluxe
It's really good to read active coders as you :)

Yes, I can only second that.

Ignore what I've posted above. Was quite late when I posted it ;)

surferjoe
08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Just to point out the obvious.

Darktree shaders is a great implementation of nodal texturing already. Their manual is worth the price of the program explaining how nodal interaction works. Their program is robust and well supported.

Messiah already has nodal texturing, too. A really good implementation, too.

jin choung
08-27-2003, 02:57 PM
errrr,

just to point out the obvious but the really nice thing about sabre now is that it's free.

if it can remain that way, that would clearly be great.

darktree is DECIDEDLY not free.

nor are similar apps.

jin

hairy_llama
08-27-2003, 03:30 PM
" errrr,

just to point out the obvious but the really nice thing about sabre now is that it's free.

if it can remain that way, that would clearly be great.

darktree is DECIDEDLY not free.

nor are similar apps.

jin "

jin choung, I totally agree with you on that. :)

Titus
08-27-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure if this program is free, the beta version is free.

The refresh of the interface is a little annoying but I'm starting to like the program. It's a shame this version doesn't allow to write the shader tree. Do you want some anisotropic specular?

VEBO
08-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Version B0.80 is out. (8/29)

No english docs yet:(

Only this: .....--?܃L?[͂X?[ ....:p

VEBO:)

zarti
08-30-2003, 05:56 AM
at least some shaders/projects/presets from which to start
autolearning process.............. c'mon HIRO!:(

Titus
08-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Wow! now the interface is refreshing OK, no more strange flickering.

bloontz
08-31-2003, 02:35 PM
This seems really promising. It crashes Lightwave constantly on my system but I can't keep myself from playing with it...

John

Tom Speed
09-01-2003, 08:10 AM
It crashes on me each reboot of LW unless I delete a file with the extention .set in my configs folder, delete that and it works again for the next boot up.

Tom

zarti
09-01-2003, 08:50 AM
1*SABRE in the future must to look-like LightWave!
2*AMELIE like interface and RealTime-Help system.
3*copy-paste functions and saving projects.

what do you think?

Titus
09-01-2003, 12:08 PM
#3 must be the next step