PDA

View Full Version : Renders from SE 10bit or only 8bit?

donx
07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I was trying to get the best HDV timeline render over to be used in FinalCut.
I have a Black Magic Intensity Pro card so I rendered a BlackMagic 10bit Quicktime .mov file.
FinalCut wouldn't edit it but it would re-render it to FC ProRez and the resulting file looked pretty much like the timeline in SE, so I was happy:)

But I just read another thread that says Speed Edit doesn't output more than 8bit. Is this true???
Even with the BlackMagic codec installed???

Just curious as to whether I should bother with the extra big files produced by 10bit rendering.?

radams
07-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi Don,

As far as I know, SE is an 8 bit system.
Though at one time it was supposed to process in a higher color depth..
It seems to have been limited at least for now to 8 bit.

I hope someday soon that it will support floating color depth...but I won't hold my breath on that.

As to your question...only NT can fully properly answer that.

Cheers,

Quiet1onTheSet
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
...FinalCut wouldn't edit it but it would re-render it to FC ProRez and the resulting file looked pretty much like the timeline in SE, so I was happy :)
I'm a little unclear about what you mean by that statement, DonX. Help me out: Do you mean to say, that the resulting file looks pretty much like the quality you get in SpeedEDIT's Output Monitor window, when playing a file from the timeline?

But I just read another thread that says Speed Edit doesn't output more than 8bit. Is this true...eveb with Blackmajic Design's codec installed?

I've been under the impression that VT-Edit, and its successors (SpeedEDIT, SpeedEDIT-VT and EDIT Media in TriCaster) are all processing in 8-bit space.

Perhaps that's about to change with the forthcoming TriCaster XD-300 and SpeedEDIT 2.0. Let's hope so!

donx
07-28-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm a little unclear about what you mean by that statement, DonX. Help me out: Do you mean to say, that the resulting file looks pretty much like the quality you get in SpeedEDIT's Output Monitor window, when playing a file from the timeline?

:agree: Yes, that's what I meant to say. I had to send an HD edit to a friend for further editing in FCP6. I tried a few different file formats but settled for a BlackMagic4:2:2 10 bit file output from SE and when I tested it in FCP it wouldn't play on the timeline so I then created a rerendered ProRez file that, to my eyes, looked as good as the original unrendered HDV edit on the SE timeline monitor window.
As it turns out, it was unnecessary to use BlackMagic 10bit but it probably would have looked the same by using an 8 bit file. It would have been smaller, also. 2 minutes of 10bit video was something like 17gig in size before I turned it into a 3.5gig ProRez file.
:jester:
Cross platform communication, has a long way to go.