PDA

View Full Version : ERROR: Problem compressing frame. Error code -8960

Agpo
07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Hello people, can anybody tell me why this error is happening (Problem compressing frame. Error code -8960) when I try to save an animation in QuickTime format in my Mac 2.66Ghz Intel QuadCore Nehalem 8GB RAM - LW 9.6
When saving to RGB files in a secuence there is no problem.
Thanks for your help... :D

toby
07-23-2009, 03:47 AM
"When saving to RGB files in a secuence there is no problem."

That's the answer right there :)

Rendering to a video file is a *bad* idea, and you've only experienced one of the many reasons.

other reasons to render image sequences/frames instead of video are :

1. Crashes or power outages can ruin a quicktime or avi, file, forcing you to start the render from the beginning again.

2. Codec and framerate issues with video files are common. Video encoding is best done in a video encoding program instead of 3d software.

3. You can inspect frames or part of your animation before it's completely rendered.

4. Each frame is numbered for you automatically.

5. You can import an image sequence at any frame rate you want.

6. If one or a series of your frames renders wrong, you can go back and re-render that one frame without having to do any editing.

7. You can save 10 or 16 bit-per-channel images

8. Different machines can render to the same animation if it's a sequence, but not if it's a movie

9. When rendering to frames, you can stop and restart the render whenever you feel like it.

Since you're on a Mac you can download Quicktime Amateur, a free program with most of the functions of QT Pro, and use it to convert frames to video.
http://www.mikeash.com/?page=software/qtamateur/index.html

Agpo
07-23-2009, 08:42 AM
You are right in all you said, Toby, and is a snap to convert the secuence to a movie. Thanks for the insight, but it should work, anyway... Just curious.:D