PDA

View Full Version : Light passing through glass (help!)

toorima
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
hello,
I was playing around with an idea, I wanted to make a stained glass window over inside of a building, it seemed simple enough; (see attach)

I can't figure out what type of setting I would need to play with to make the passing through light change colours.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong? TY ^^

probiner
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Surface Editor>Advance Tab>Color Filter. Crank that up in a transparent surface in scene with shadows and it will probably do the trick.

Cheers

toorima
07-22-2009, 06:31 PM
TY for the response, I have already tried that. It almost works, although you can't see the ray from the window into the room,

shrox
07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Do you have volumetrics turned on? It's in the light's properties panel.

probiner
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Yep what shrox said. But prepare for more render time (at least with me thats what happens).

Are you using only one light?
You can turn radiosity on, or put another ligth inside to fake the light difusion.

Volumetric Light will probably do the trick and i don't know whats the look you're after but the outside might need to be brighter.

Cheers

toorima
07-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I have tried turning on Volumetrics, but hasn't done anything, is there a certian setting I should change?

Also, I have tried adding a light inside, I didn't see the any rays of light so to speak, so i took it off... the only light in the scene I want is just enough from what comes through the window.

shrox
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I have tried turning on Volumetrics, but hasn't done anything, is there a certian setting I should change?

Also, I have tried adding a light inside, I didn't see the any rays of light so to speak, so i took it off... the only light in the scene I want is just enough from what comes through the window.

Have you checked the manual?

toby
07-23-2009, 03:01 AM
Did you turn on volumetrics in the light properties panel? Did you adjust the settings so that the volume would extend into the room?

Post a scene if you still need help.