PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Mocap with an IK setup?

stevecullum
07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm playing about with JimmyRig and its pretty cool, but even their extensive Mocap Library isn't going to be able to cover everything a character might need to do. So I'm wondering how to go about having an IK setup running along side the mocap bones. Do I have to use a completely seperate rig or is it better to split the bones and have IK setup on the extras? Or is this too much hassle and its better to struggle through with IK Booster or something?

Any insights are appreciated!

SplineGod
07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I use mocap with IKBooster all the time and its the easiest way in LW to handle it because IKB is designed to easily handle lots of data.
You can also try setting up a rig and see if you can use IK/FK blending when you need to.
Also try parenting what will be the IK goals to your arms, legs etc to the last bone and then bake the motion to the goals. Now when you switch between IK and FK it 'should' more or less follow ok.
Like I said, IKB is a much better solution from my experience because I would pull the Jimmy rig into LW and simply apply IKB and immediately start altering or adding to the mocap data.
Another thing..Its pretty easy to copy and paste motions from one rig to anothe in IKB...which can be the whole rig or any part of a rig. This makes it easy to mix mocap data sets on any part of your rig.

stevecullum
07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
IKB is a much better solution from my experience because I would pull the Jimmy rig into LW and simply apply IKB and immediately start altering or adding to the mocap data.

Cheers Larry. I had originally thought about the IK/FK blend switch, but as you say IKB really is the prime option for a quick setup. I think I just need a quick refresh on its functions....now where did I leave that bone tools video... ;)

SplineGod
07-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey steve you might find these useful esp the one on importing mocap via PLK.
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/PLK/

stevecullum
07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Great! thanks for those, not seen them before :)