PDA

View Full Version : IK, FK, Bones?

trentonia
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm building a metal robot and want to be able to manipulate the arms without having to keyframe every part. Each arm has a shoulder, upper arm, lower arm, wrist, and hand. The hand has 2 finger and a thumb each made of 2 pieces. I've named all the parts and they are in separate layers. The parts need to be rigid. Would it be best to use IK, FK, bones, or what? Also, can I put all of the parts in a single layer and still manipulate them individually? Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AdamAvenali
07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
well, it has been a long time since i have had to rig anything so i may not be the best informer, but i will try to help a little. you can have all the objects on one layer and animate them separately, but you will have to put bones in your character and have the bones linked to the objects via a weight map or something. also, from what i remember, arms are usually FK unless they will be holding on to or pushing against a wall or something.

either way if you are you really interested in rigging, check out this thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99982

SplineGod
07-21-2009, 01:35 PM
As far as how you animate it with FK or IK you can use both since LW 9.6 support IK/FK switching. THat part wont change regardless if you use bones, objects or both.
You can setup a rig using bones or even null objects and simply parent the objects to the bones and each other.
The advantage of using bones or nulls as pivot points is they can be easier to pick out from a long list of objects.

AdamAvenali
07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
As far as how you animate it with FK or IK you can use both since LW 9.6 support IK/FK switching. THat part wont change regardless if you use bones, objects or both.
You can setup a rig using bones or even null objects and simply parent the objects to the bones and each other.
The advantage of using bones or nulls as pivot points is they can be easier to pick out from a long list of objects.

yes, listen to him, not me haha to show how long it has been i didnt even know about the IK/FK switching.. oops haha

trentonia
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks Larry! I figured you would weigh in at some point. I'll play around with your suggestions.