PDA

View Full Version : Wave Man Guitar Design

Cobalt
07-21-2009, 05:43 AM
One possible design if I ever decide to paint the face of my Gretsch.

colkai
07-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Geez, not setting yourself much of a task there are you? ;)

I'm going to be happy if the old wreck I'm trying to restore turns out not too look like total garbage using a straight black finish. :p

As for painting my pride N joy, never gonna happen, I ain't that brave. :D

Cobalt
07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
colkai,

What is your "pride N joy"?

My Gretsch is an Electromatic, Korean made hollow-body. It's a great sounding, good looking and fucntional guitar that is good for customizing and tweaking with various pick-ups, bridges and paint jobs like the one here envisioned.

Now ... if my guitar was an original Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins 1958 Hollow-Body Electric ... I'd be wearing white gloves and keeping that baby in a glass case!

colkai
07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Heh, torn really, got two guitars that were custom built for me by the "Gordon" half of Gordon-Smith". My Destroyer and a custom Redshift, love them both to death. :)

The finish on the Redshift is beautiful, alas, I don't have a picture of the back of it (must do one), which is lovely, even if you never see it. :p

The other is my "play" guitar, a Richwood RE125 which I have overhauled by a local Luthier, worth every penny that was. :)

biliousfrog
07-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Head over to projectguitar.com and look through the forums, lots of information and advice on there for the budding luthier ;)

Cobalt
07-23-2009, 05:24 AM
NIce axes colkai! But is that a Tele I see the edge of in the picture too?

colkai
07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Heh, nicely spotted. ;)

Yup, that was a Fenix Tele which I used to own that was permanently set up strictly for slide guitar to save me mucking about with my other guitars.
Since gone the way of most of my studio gear to help get "pay the bills" money, but I'd rather starve than lose my other guitars. ;)

colkai
07-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Head over to projectguitar.com and look through the forums, lots of information and advice on there for the budding luthier ;)

Wouldn't of even tackled stripping the old wreck had I not visited there first. :p
Found an abused one that was being given away, it's no use to me, it's right-handed, but good to see if I can do something with it. No other reason than "because it's there" :D

If it works, I shall donate it to a friend who is learning to play guitar, assuming it's not a "plank" action-wise. :)

Cobalt
07-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Here's my one and only girl ... for now. I haven't been able to afford another so I'm not ready to join the guitar polagamy club yet. I wont paint the face until I have another in hand to play with. Was thinking about the Gretsch Corvette or just plain old clasic Tele.

colkai
07-24-2009, 09:14 AM
She's a nice lookin' thing.
If you're going to be practising a repaint, maight be worth checking out second hand copies first, you can always sell them on afterwards. :)

jaxtone
07-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Here are three of my latest babies!

The Gretsch White Falcon is used on a video with my showcase Jack McGuinness and the Hot Bullets... but on this Iīd sing more than play. But itīs still nice looking at, I mean the guitar! :D

http://www.hotbullets.eu/thevideomenu.html

jaxtone
07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Cīmon! Letīs see all your stringed rock nī roll vehicles out there guys!

colkai
07-29-2009, 03:22 PM
One I didn't show, my beloved TangleWood semi-acoustic.

Picked it up 2nd hand for Ģ150 - had only been in the shop an hour when I phoned asking about L/H semi-acoustic slim-backs. :)
Zoomed down to the shop in my lunch break, one strum and I bought it. :D

Cobalt
07-30-2009, 06:42 AM
These are some sweet looking guitars colkai and jaxtone. It's interesting to see some of the Lightwave artist here are musical artist as well.

jaxtone
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
To me Tanglewood is totally unknown but it look as an ovation for sure. Does the Tanglewood guitar even have the same plastic backside as the Ovation?

Ģ150 sounds dead cheap to me... but if it sounds great it was a bargain!

Unfortunally I probably payed too much for my guitars. $3000 for the Gretsch White Falcon. $1300 for the Harmony Hollywood and $1300 for the Fender Stratocaster. I wonder if the biggest rip off isnīt the Harmony Hollywood. Itīs the best guitar I ever played but the price is probably the worst ever!

But what can I say, being a musician is a little bit to live outside common senses, both emotional and financially!

My first gig 1967 gave me 70 bucks and today top 40 bands all over the country compete to play a whole night for less than that after all expences are blown away.

Thatīs what I call a financially rotten developement! So what can we do more than trying our best to play until we here them angels cry!

One I didn't show, my beloved TangleWood semi-acoustic.

Picked it up 2nd hand for Ģ150 - had only been in the shop an hour when I phoned asking about L/H semi-acoustic slim-backs. :)
Zoomed down to the shop in my lunch break, one strum and I bought it. :D

jaxtone
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I guess that many times creative minds are crossmixed in a strange way and thats a reason we find many musicians among 3D guys and graphic designer as well as there are many creative graphical artists in the word of music.

About fancy guitar designs I have the ultimate case for any luthier, but unfortunally not the budget to get from dream stage to a production case. Itīs a guitar that faded into a dream years ago when I went to bed on tour. By then I played about 300 gigs a year and the partyīs was wild as hell. But this special night the dream smacked me right between the eyes.

I was captured by elfes and thrown into a cave where a gigantic troll sat behind a huge table of burnt and carved oak. In his hand he held a very strange instrument made of prehistorical skeletons, crystals, human skin and melted steel. The instrument that more looked as a weapon than a guitar had nine strings and was trembling in his hands when he spoke. He gave me one chance to not end up as scraps of food from his latest dinner in bottom of an endless hole.

His harsh voice made the whole cave start shaking:

- Amuse me! Play or die!

Just when I was about to stroke the first chord on that guitar/weapon I woke up in the hotel bed with a sleeping beauty on my left and my guitar on the right side. Guess which of these two darlings I chosed? Just joking... but that dream guitar never faded away from my memory and one day I might have enough money to make it real... Maybe someone put something else in my glass than whiskey the night before, but in that case I thank him since it lead to a good story and a vision of the ultimate guitar.

These are some sweet looking guitars colkai and jaxtone. It's interesting to see some of the Lightwave artist here are musical artist as well.

colkai
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
To me Tanglewood is totally unknown but it look as an ovation for sure. Does the Tanglewood guitar even have the same plastic backside as the Ovation?

Indeed it does, it also has a 3-band equaliser on the side.

Ģ150 sounds dead cheap to me... but if it sounds great it was a bargain!

Yep, it's not an "expensive" guitar to start with, but whoever had it last had it set up beautifully. Definitely had a fret dressing at least.

I couldn't afford to buy the guitars I own now, I've been quoted 1,500 sterling if I wanted to replace my custom built ones, heh, I've bought cars for much less than that. :p

I'm no musician, EVH has *nothing* to worry about ;) but I dearly love playing my guitars. There is nothing relaxes / de-stresses me more.

jaxtone
07-31-2009, 07:34 AM
I guess your experience sounds much more fun than the tough reality for many professional musicians were stress and no relaxation is the truth. Besides that most of them are forced to play music they really hate to bring food on the table.

I dicussed this with my drumplayer a while ago. Heīs now 61 years old and have been playing professionally since he was 16 years. He said this:

If I wanted to be rich I would have choosen another profession. This isnīt anything you do if a choice, itīs in your destiny. Itīs a dirty job but someone has to do it!

I'm no musician, EVH has *nothing* to worry about ;) but I dearly love playing my guitars. There is nothing relaxes / de-stresses me more.

colkai
07-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Yup, I do both 3D and music purely for fun, though I could live without 3D, I couldn't live without my guitars.
Day jobs are the same across the board, doing what pays the bills, not what you want to, but what is requested of you. Like the session singers who's bread N butter is doing jingles and advert "music".
Me, it's coding stuff I know is going to give us headaches but having to do it because that is what is laid down by the boss. He pays my bills, so if it means me doing what I know I'll be un-doing in 3 months, so be it, at least I'm still getting paid! :)

I'm not naive enough to think I'm anything but a cog in the machine and old enough to no longer care. :D

bluerider
07-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow, what an informative thread.

Great design for a guitar by the way Cobalt. :lwicon:

jaxtone
08-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTgeNw1guBs&feature=related

:D

Yup, I do both 3D and music purely for fun, though I could live without 3D, I couldn't live without my guitars.
Day jobs are the same across the board, doing what pays the bills, not what you want to, but what is requested of you. Like the session singers who's bread N butter is doing jingles and advert "music".
Me, it's coding stuff I know is going to give us headaches but having to do it because that is what is laid down by the boss. He pays my bills, so if it means me doing what I know I'll be un-doing in 3 months, so be it, at least I'm still getting paid! :)

I'm not naive enough to think I'm anything but a cog in the machine and old enough to no longer care. :D

jaxtone
08-01-2009, 04:06 AM
... did I smell sarcasm somewhere?

I have recognized Ireland as one of Europeīs most music interested countries but as well famous for having a tinged image where males are only being talkative when liquids are involved! :hey: :bday:

Wow, what an informative thread.

Great design for a guitar by the way Cobalt. :lwicon: