PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Jupiter hit again!

shrox
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090720-jupiter-new-impact.html

I realize that we haven't been able to see with as much detail as we can now, so we have no idea how often this happens, but it doesn't make me feel good about our near future and a few observations we do have.

Here's a link to an applet that show the most recognized threat to us so far. More are out there...but don't panic yet.

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2007+VK184;orb=1

And we have only been looking at the solar ecliptic (the plane most of the planets orbit on), we haven't been looking much from the poles.

cyatic
07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
"My God, it's full of stars........"

cue the music!:)

pooby
07-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Jupiter acts as a shield for earth and the other inner stars, so the fact its having impacts, can be seen as a good thing.

SaturnX
07-21-2009, 05:05 AM
The technical term being vacuum cleaner. :D

3DGFXStudios
07-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Shrox you are the O T master. But this thread is cool :D ;)

DiedonD
07-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Such a nice thing of Jupiter to intake all those shear meteorite impacts in our behalf!

Those would otherwise have earths surface (yes not the earth itself, its strong enough to survive a small rock in comparison to itself) and including all of us on that surface, wiped out in matter of days in blazing fires!

Hurray for Jupiter :thumbsup:

Keep it going buddy, take all the meteorite punches and try not to avoid not single one now ok? :D

Cause lastly Jupter needs some more of that rock on its core doesnt it? Cant be all skinny and indecisive without some more 'grounds' to its shear mass! All that gas and no rock isnt good for stamina!

biliousfrog
07-21-2009, 05:48 AM
Jupiter acts as a shield for earth and the other inner stars, so the fact its having impacts, can be seen as a good thing.

...only if it happens to be between us and any debris at the time, there's a much higher chance of missing Jupiter than hitting it.

pooby
07-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Other Jupiter facts is that its made primarily from salt, It invented the helicopter way before Leonardo da Vinci, it smells of eggs, and its favourite colour is pink.

cresshead
07-21-2009, 07:26 AM
"socks" is a bit slow off the mark!
..posted already...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=906343&postcount=23

DiedonD
07-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Heres an issue.

Say a meteorite is headed towards earth. But the area is not near US nor Russia or China (assuming that these also have the meteorite blowing rocket technology). But its headed directly towards a huge country that lacks this technology, say Brazil or whatever.

One of present technologies, the solution to meteorite threat (as a solution to any other world wide threat), is of course nuking.

So firstly... Who'll get to nuke the meteorite out of the sky and save some other country from a direct hit?

And secondly would US in particular save another country from a direct hit?

cresshead
07-21-2009, 08:33 AM
if the asteriod is big enough it's not a 'country' thing...it's a human life on earth ending situation.

a boarder mark on a map will not stop the atmosphere being filled with dust/debris that cuts off the sunlight for 10+ years globally

a boarder mark on a map will not stop huge flooding if it fell into the sea...

nuking it is not really a solution...you end up with the same mass hitting the earth...could be worse actually.

currently there is no way to stop it happening...we may see it about to happen..but can actually 'do' very little...head kiss *ss time...

prometheus
07-21-2009, 08:43 AM
If nothing else works, we always got bruce willis and his drilling team:)

Michael

cresshead
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
with nasa budget cuts...how you going to get there...taxi?

AdamAvenali
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM
with nasa budget cuts...how you going to get there...taxi?

are we forgetting about the 5th element vehicles? i'm sure he still has one in his garage.

cresshead
07-21-2009, 08:59 AM
are we forgetting about the 5th element vehicles? i'm sure he still has one in his garage.

yeah but he's got too many points on his licence now...and a huge hole in his roof!

still he has a very nice passenger!

shrox
07-21-2009, 09:53 AM

It does indeed, but mostly for objects on the ecliptic, this was a polar strike, not much to protect us from out of the ecliptic. (I even mentioned that)

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Nuking also may work!

Im not saying to destroy the whole thing, and evaporate its dust to nothingness neither! Its just for nudging it from its course to our planet its all! Just change its course, let it hit some other Jupiter if it so much wants to!

In anycase, and in any solution from that drawing board, who will get to do it?

pooby
07-22-2009, 02:09 AM
It does indeed, but mostly for objects on the ecliptic, this was a polar strike, not much to protect us from out of the ecliptic. (I even mentioned that)

You did indeed, but what you don't seem to realise is that I know very little about Jupiter let alone polar strikes and, if I am to be entirely honest, general space-related issues and hence I just spouted something parrot fashion to sound clever.

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 02:46 AM
So you say it will be a joint venture then.

Well, we had better put out all the other alternatives.

The one that caught my eye was two rockets joined in. One smaller and one bigger. The smaller would take the bigger one to the meteorite. Would attach itseld there, while the bigger one that attached to the smaller one would burst and ignite, thus forcing the meteorite to move away from its course.

Due to lack of gravity, the meteorite is effected from the other rocket that thrusts it away from its course.

That one I remember, but surely they were more...

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 02:56 AM
... I'm sure the USA and probably Russia and China would be involved depending on the size of the problem and how much time they would have to move said object.

Thats where greed would become 'handy'!

Greed beeing the problem everywhere, it should greatly reach its climax in such a case, even when it potentially could cause the death of all of us then in that case of the meteorite!

USA, Russia and China, arguing among themselves. who gets to spend milions of their money trying to save the other ones passive and beneficial ***. Each wanting rather to be the one that would get to laugh and enjoy a costless ride at the demize of the other!

Each would say 'Why should I do it! You do it!' and so on, while the meteorite gets closer! And should by some lucky chance, one choose at last moment to have enough of it, and do some action, the other would say 'Yeah I thought so! Now go nukem b-itch!'

There oughta be a correlation between greed and stupidity!

cresshead
07-22-2009, 04:49 AM
wow you don't give other countries much credit for helping in joint ventures...
if they can i'm sure they would help and not based on a 'what can i get out of it' deal.

so far nasa has managed to smash a probe the size of a washing machine into a comet
so with enough planning time that part is doable..as to changing the direction or destroying a comet/asteriod
no one's demonstrated as yet.

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 05:03 AM
wow you don't give other countries much credit for helping in joint ventures...

Not at all. Given my circumstances theres no way I could ever be ungrateful enough not to give credit for a world wide joint venture.

Its just that Im working on stories on a new movie, and it is these times that my mind can go places.

Its like a tragicomedy scenario that it wouldve been should greed pass all boundraries to that extent, and it wouldve reached its climax if it was going to be used EVEN at those circumstances.

Weve seen heroic meteorite earth saving stories all around. That one above had alot more cynicall and greedy approach to it all.

But for real if youd ask me. I think the US would act first. And would remove the threat from the sky. And leave its mark on history without any negotiation or so. Thats how I see it. The rest talk, US acts! Right there and then and justly, in a noble fasion!

But should it be too costly, some sort of compensation should be returned to US from all countries! Cause this is our planet, and theres no point in only one country to suffer the entire price in the whole earths behalf!

cresshead
07-22-2009, 05:32 AM
of course if the usa did help out in a real event and saved the planet..give it a weekend and some smuck will post a vid on youtube saying it was all fake...tin foil and cardboard...

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 05:44 AM
of course if the usa did help out in a real event and saved the planet..give it a weekend and some smuck will post a vid on youtube saying it was all fake...tin foil and cardboard...

But whatabout those that saw it for real with their telescopes?

We can fool the TV, but not real eyes! Not yet!

cresshead
07-22-2009, 06:22 AM
most people don't have telescopes that are capable of 'seeing' such things...like 99.995% don't.

the ones that could will be 'in' that fake zone ...

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
And what an ironic question it wouldve been.

"Mr. Cresshead. Why do you want to make such obviosly fake conspiracies of seeing US Army removing such aye threat from the sky? Wouldnt we all get to see it if it was true? How much do they pay you to distract attention from the real crisis on the ground?" - The conspirator himself may ask us that witnessed the ordeal!

How does one respond to that I wonder...

'Go to hell!' would devalue your comment and work against proving your real!
'No Comment' is kinda odd. If you didnt wanted to comment why did you tell the news of it
Opening your eyes for best possible expression of it beeing real and saying 'BUT IT DID HAPPEN!' may be interpreted as beeing insane, not to mention redicule.

Not a very good position to be in, is it?

cresshead
07-22-2009, 07:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

this is even better..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKedyQQkZQ&feature=related

inkpen3d
07-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Hmm, maybe I should change my avatar (taken with my own telescope, btw) to something that gets hit a little less often - maybe I'm tempting fate! :D

DiedonD
07-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Awsome stuff :D

I heard that Bruno is out too :thumbsup:

cresshead
07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Hmm, maybe I should change my avatar (taken with my own telescope, btw) to something that gets hit a little less often - maybe I'm tempting fate! :D

that's one heck of a tie-dye dish cloth you took a pik of :D

of course my avatar is defo fake...simply impossible to have a cat that cute...
must have been made of cardboard, black felt, cotton wool, 2 green shirt buttons, some string
and pipe cleaners...

Titus
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM

Let me introduce myself, a former astronomer. Most objects coming to the earth/sun are from the Kuiper belt, they are on the ecliptic.

inkpen3d
07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
that's one heck of a tie-dye dish cloth you took a pik of

Damn, my secret's out! :D

Cute pipe-cleaners model, btw.

shrox
07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Let me introduce myself, a former astronomer. Most objects coming to the earth/sun are from the Kuiper belt, they are on the ecliptic.

Yes, that we know of, but the strike recent strike on Jupiter was a polar strike. Sure, it could have simply come in on the ecliptic and just hit high on the planet.

And with all my involvement with NASA, model rockets, telescopes, etc. I might have more than a pedestrian idea of the universe...and there is the Oort cloud to consider, even though it is still hypothetical. Most research and observation has been on the ecliptic, main because the most nearby obvious stuff in our sky lies along it.

What observatory did you have the pleasure of working at?

Titus
07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Never had the pleasure to work as an astronomer, switched career to scientific visualization, then to animation. San Pedro Martir observatory (http://www.astrossp.unam.mx/indexspm.html) is usually the first option here in Mexico.

My first important research was actually for the shoemaker-levy crash back then in the 90s, so I understand the frustration of many astronomers for missing this new hit.

cresshead
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
btw some nasa folks frequent spacevidcast chat

shrox
07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
btw some nasa folks frequent spacevidcast chat

I don't have the proper degree, so I could only be a "contributor" rather than actually work for NASA.