PDA

View Full Version : Record Pivot Rotation Question | Export to Game Engine

BlueApple
07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
A friend of mine is trying to write an exporter to get the bones out of LightWave and is having trouble. Specifically, using Record Pivot Rotation zeroes out the bone's rotation and is making it so he can't determine the bone's orientation.

Does LightWave store the original orientation of the bone prior to using Record Pivot Rotation? Is there an easy way to recover this information?

Any help is appreciated.

BlueApple
07-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Apologies, but I had intended to place this in the General Support forum

evenflcw
07-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure but it seems like it should be a simple fix. The pivot basically just defines a static offset. It can be read an thus subtracted from each keyframed value. Although I would think it might throw off some expressions and similar if they are used in such a way that they are dependent on where the channels zeroes out. BUt I figure everything is keyed/baked for export?

Does LightWave store the original orientation of the bone prior to using Record Pivot Rotation? Is there an easy way to recover this information?

Easiest way to see what happens is just to save two scenes, one RPR'ed and one not, and compare. From the looks of it, if you RPR, all keyframed motion values are offset by the recorded value (ie NOT "stored with original rotation before rpr"). The internals that you get when accessing the motion data through SDK/LS could be different from what's in the LWS, but that would be unlikely (and annoying). But do compare (once).

PS. Personally I would have posted in the developer section. We get so few posts we shiver with excitement everytime there is a new one.

BlueApple
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. My friend and I will check this out in the morning.

PS. Personally I would have posted in the developer section. We get so few posts we shiver with excitement everytime there is a new one.

Future inquiries will be posted there, despite the threat of excitement induced mass shivering :)