PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a way to find, and remove overlapping polygons?

Mr.Bloodworth
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Other than manually selecting and removing each one by hand to see if it has another under it. I seem to have gotten copy and paste happy on a model or two.

Thanks!

cagey5
07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Have you tried 'unify polys' under the detail/polygon tab?

shrox
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Merge points, then unify polys is another way.

Mr.Bloodworth
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Well look at that, a button I have never seen. thanks guys!

SplineGod
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
The problem with merge points is that they have to either overlap or you have to know just how far away they are or else you risk merging things you dont want merged. If you know where the overlapping polys are then you can select that group and try merging.
Unify polys only works if the polys are overlapping exactly on each other. Other then that y ou might have to do it manually or check on flay or the LWplugin database for a plugin that may work.

shrox
07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
The problem with merge points is that they have to either overlap or you have to know just how far away they are or else you risk merging things you dont want merged. If you know where the overlapping polys are then you can select that group and try merging.
Unify polys only works if the polys are overlapping exactly on each other. Other then that y ou might have to do it manually or check on flay or the LWplugin database for a plugin that may work.

Mr. Expert, Knows More About Lightwave Than I Will Ever Know chimes in. And he's right.

Although I have done the accidental double paste more than once myself, and not discovered until many moves down the line.

evenflcw
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Hmm....

Automatic merge and unify will take care of exact overlap.
Automatic merge and edge statistics\select >2 polygons will reveal all non-manifold edges.
Automatic merge and edge statistics\select 1 polygons will select all borders revealing any overlapping polys that is connected to the mesh by a single point. (many meshes have no borders; and for those that do, the highlighted overlapping polys should stick out like sore thumb.)
Automatic merge and select connected should find close overlaps by leaving the overlapping polys still unconnected and unselected.

I think that covers most (all?) cases!?

zardoz
07-21-2009, 02:36 AM
also try to Align Polygons (sorry I changed the shortcut so I don't know which one comes with LW)...when you align polygons and you get 1 or more flipping, there may be a problem (2 point polys or overlapping ones too) if you Align Polygons several times and it keeps saying "n polygons flipped" there's something wrong for sure

Mr.Bloodworth
07-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Unify polys only works if the polys are overlapping exactly on each other.

This was the situation. So it worked well. I had copied and pasted to many times with the same object, so there were two sharing the same space.