PDA

View Full Version : Windows For Mac

robert_Lavigne
07-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Today I was sitting there looking at some fancy new plugins that are only for windows, and have also been hearing a friend talking about animating in messiah and how I should try it out (Also a windows only program as far as I know). It seems that the 3d world caters to the pc users, and I started second guessing my choice to switch to Mac. Then it hit me, My computer is capable of running windows. I'm sure there are many of you out there that have already thought of this and are doing it so I wanted to ask you a few questions.

- Is there any instability issues when using the windows stuff on the mac, or is it just crappy as when your working on a pc?
- Are you simply able to download the windows version of Lightwave and install it and use the same dongle as for the mac version, or do I have to purchase the windows version as well?
-When running windows on a mac are you at risk or all the spyware, viruses and junk that windows users get?
- Has anyone here tried using Parallels Desktop 4.0?( Software that lets you run both operating systems at the same time with out needing to reboot, and allows for simple drag and dropping between desktops) I'm curious as to how stable this software is, and if it brings up any new problems.
-What OS is the best choice to use? Vista 64, the new Windows 7? Are they all compatible with mac or is there a special windows for mac OS?

Any answers to these questions or anything else someone thinking of trying this out should know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Robert

BeeVee
07-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Based on you using Bootcamp, with which I have experience:

1. Running Windows on a Mac turns your machine into a PC. Nothing more, nothing less. LightWave works fine. It prefers nVidia graphics cards.

2. Buying any platform of LightWave entitles you to all three platforms - 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows and Macintosh. You would actually be able to run 64-bit LightWave if you have a 64-bit capable Mac (most are) and a 64-bit version of Windows.

3. Windows users are only at risk of those things if they use their computers stupidly. I would say that the number of Windows users on these forums that have had a virus in the last year can be counted on the fingernails on one finger.

4. I haven't tried Parallels. I understand it had OGL problems to start with but that it works okay now?

5. Windows 7 doesn't exist until the end of October.

Bootcamp works very well. It gives you a full PC. I recommend ditching the "MightyMouse" if you have one in favour of a better rodent, but Bootcamp is a very satisfying experience.

B

3dWannabe
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
3. The security risk is greater than you think. You wouldn't know you've been taken over anymore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Pill_%28malware%29) , as it's not kids who write the code. And the intention is to steal your money (watching for bank transactions) or use your box to send spam.

There are so many points of vulnerability (the software vendors, their software vendors, IE zero day vulnerabilities, Quicktime & Flash vulnerabilities) that it's not terribly unlikely that more boxes are 'infected' than are guessed.

4. http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/index.html

5. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

---
You might post your questions on Boot Camp here:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=237

BeeVee
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
3. Like I say, if you use your computer stupidly... ;)

5. "The RC will expire on June 1, 2010." - from that page, which is why I suggested to wait until October.

B

RonGC
07-20-2009, 03:51 PM
If your worried about windows spyware, adware, viruses etc, don't take your computer on line when booted in windows mode. Just boot-up in Mac mode in Bootcamp then go online.

Ron

3dWannabe
07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
3. Oddly enough, not long ago some of the very major bank's web sites got infected (of course, as we now know, banks are not that bright) - and the user only had to stupidly visit his bank's web site to become infected.

At one time, I learned enough to be semi-proficient at 'hacking', so that I could protect my clients better. But, I realized there was too hard to convince my clients there was a danger, even when I could enter their systems at will, so I lost interest.

But, I remain very paranoid as I still follow a lot of security related sites. Windows users (and Mac users) are definitely at risk, as there are always yet to be patched vulnerabilities.

---
BTW - wish it were as simple 'not to go online' - see the JimmyRig thread

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99785

Wish you'd explain that to OrigamiDigital.

archijam
07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I find parallels a bit too sluggish to run any large CAD or 3D operations, tho I still use both parallels and bootcamp, accessing the same harddisk.

Get a windows user who know what they are doing to burn the cumulative windows updates and antivirus etc. onto a dvd for you, so you don't need to download them.

Oh, and don't use IE .. ? :)

robert_Lavigne
07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I was suspicious of Parallels being an issue with heavy programs, but I think I'll give it a try, it's only 70 bucks. and I think I'll just shut off my wireless before I switch over to avoid any windows online issues. I guess I'll find out how practical that is when I'm in the middle of a project and need some reference material.

---
BTW - wish it were as simple 'not to go online' - see the JimmyRig thread

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99785

Wish you'd explain that to OrigamiDigital.

I'm not to sure what in that thread applies to this one. I didn't read it all but the bits I skimmed were all about Jimmy Rig. If it's something important a quick summary would be appreciated.

3dWannabe
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I was referring to how Jimmy Rig, which is getting a bit of attention right now, requires an always on Internet connection (plus a Windows box, it won't run on a Mac), which is a bit of a security hole.

Good luck with Parallels, post your results with their virtualization when you've got it working!

FutureTomorrow
07-20-2009, 09:38 PM
1. To the best of my knowledge and recent 3mth experience(first time running bootcamp for windows purposes) you're actually in a full blown windows environment. So no instability unless it's already a documented issue for PC. I have a Boxx tech machine and have owned other PC's before and again, there is no difference. The drivers got me at first because I had a very weird Bootcamp install experience and was surprised everything worked, except having to do some extra work to get dual monitors running amidst some smaller issues. All solvable for me with Google and 1hr's worth of my time.

2. As BeeVee pointed out, one of the awesome things about being a LW owner is that you get 32bit and 64bit PC and MAC(32 bit) versions with your purchase. I'm actually running LW 9.3.1 on my MAC and on the windows side of things 8.5 and 9. The 8.5 and windows install is for plug-in purposes and 9 was/is to check out the new features.

3. Yes...most definitely. I try to use the internet as little as possible when on Windows with any of my 3D/work machines. I just fire up my MBP and use the interwebz there. Multiple computers are awesome. Get a super cheap netbook or laptop on eBay. Your main machine will thank you years later. No viruses etc ever on my BOXX machine due to little searches on it and using my MBP...I've had the BOXX for 3+ years now.

4. No can't say that I have and firing it up in a Best Buy one day and tooling around wouldn't exactly qualify me to give any real thoughts on it. I've considered it myself but wonder what kind of performance hit I would take with my 3D software and AE.

5. I got turned off by anything Vista about 2 years back while working at an agency in L.A., though I've heard it's gotten better and some people love it. I bought Windows2000 XP Professional for my Bootcamp install and that's what's on my BOXX machine. Never had an issue and it sees all my RAM.

Just do some homework on Google as well. Cheers mate.

robert_Lavigne
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Ahh I see what you mean now about the jimmyRig 3DWannabe. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for the additional info FutureTomorrow. I have definitely being doing my homework. I'm a chronic researcher. As a child my dad made me make up a report on nearly every purchase I made before I was allowed to get it. As much as I hated it back then I have ended up with a lot less crap over the years. I just wanted to hear from people who are using their computers for the same purpose and with similar applications.

Thats also a great idea about keeping the MBP for the net. At the moment I'm in the market for an 8 core MP. and had being thinking of selling of my MBP when I get it. Now I'm reconsidering for the reason you gave, as well as the fact that I'm heading of to art school and would like a laptop for taking to classes.