PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of books, anyone ever read "The White Mountains"?

shrox
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
A great series of "teen" books about Tripods that invaded and took over Earth a century before the books' time frame. I found a set online and reread them recently, now there is even a prequel book, but you should read it last so the "secret" isn't revealed too early.

WCameron
07-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Some of my favorite 'childrens' books, actually - although i admit my first exposure was the ITV tv series from way back when. I think it was these books that actually got me reading other 'childrens' books of similar ilk - and yeah its weird for a 40 year old to be hovering in that section of the bookstore but so what! heh.
Empty World is also good, The Guardians, and 'The Fireball Trilogy' are also excellent reads. All in all I'd say you cant go wrong with anything hes written. :-)

John Christophers 'adult' books (not that kind of 'adult'!) are good too. No Blade Of Grass is excellent.

- Will.

shrox
07-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Some of my favorite 'childrens' books, actually - although i admit my first exposure was the ITV tv series from way back when. I think it was these books that actually got me reading other 'childrens' books of similar ilk - and yeah its weird for a 40 year old to be hovering in that section of the bookstore but so what! heh.
Empty World is also good, The Guardians, and 'The Fireball Trilogy' are also excellent reads. All in all I'd say you cant go wrong with anything hes written. :-)

John Christophers 'adult' books (not that kind of 'adult'!) are good too. No Blade Of Grass is excellent.

- Will.

I saw that he had written other works, I might check them out to get me reading again.

littlewaves
07-19-2009, 02:54 PM
was White Mountains the first one?

in which case I did read it years and years ago as a kid and the second one (city of gold and lead??) but I was watching the TV at the same time and was waiting for the third TV series before reading the book.

Sadly they cancelled the series and then I started playing guitar which meant I forgot all about sci fi for about 20 years.

As far as I remember the series was reasonably faithful to the books although obviously would have benefited from a bigger budget.

Expect we'll eventually see a full on hollywood treatment of them

shrox
07-19-2009, 03:51 PM
was White Mountains the first one?

in which case I did read it years and years ago as a kid and the second one (city of gold and lead??) but I was watching the TV at the same time and was waiting for the third TV series before reading the book.

Sadly they cancelled the series and then I started playing guitar which meant I forgot all about sci fi for about 20 years.

As far as I remember the series was reasonably faithful to the books although obviously would have benefited from a bigger budget.

Expect we'll eventually see a full on hollywood treatment of them

Yes, "City of Gold and Lead" and the third was "The Pool of Fire", all written in the 1960's, then he wrote a prequel in 1988 which actually serves better as a finale, describing how it all came to be. I see Disney has had the rights for 10 years now.

Drocket
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I managed to get a 2nd hand copy a few months back, I already had the dvd box set, unfortunately it doesn't include the last book but still good to watch.

inkpen3d
07-22-2009, 07:47 AM
I too read "The White Mountains" trilogy back in the late 60's when I was in my teens and starting to get an interest in SF (books and TV). I always remember the books as being a good read and made sure I was first in line to get them from the school library. The TV series was fairly good given the limitations of special effects at the time when it was made - maybe someone like the BBC should consider remaking the series taking advantage of today's special effects capabilities. The only slightly negative thing about the storyline was that the Tripods seemed to be a direct pinch of the martians in War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells - also tripodal motion always seems a bit ludicrous to me - a bit like a man with one leg walking with a pair of crutches!:D

shrox
07-22-2009, 08:45 AM
...also tripodal motion always seems a bit ludicrous to me - a bit like a man with one leg walking with a pair of crutches!:D

Yes, tripod locomotion is terribly inefficient, and I seriously doubt there are any creatures that have three main legs for motion. Maybe something like a tail for balance, but not three legs.

inkpen3d
07-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Yes, tripod locomotion is terribly inefficient, and I seriously doubt there are any creatures that have three main legs for motion. Maybe something like a tail for balance, but not three legs.

Yes, the kangaroo springs to mind - it braces itself back on to its tail when resting. Palaeontologists also think that hadrosaurs did a similar thing using their tail in conjunction with their hind legs to form a tripod stance when feeding on tall foliage.

Natural selection appears to have favoured 2, 4, 6, 8, etc, limbs for land-based locomotion - I can't think of any that use 1, 3, etc - except maybe for snails, which have one "foot", though that can hardly be classified as a limb - I haven't seen any galloping snails, except in Guiness adverts!:D

Peter

shrox
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, the kangaroo springs to mind - it braces itself back on to its tail when resting. Palaeontologists also think that hadrosaurs did a similar thing using their tail in conjunction with their hind legs to form a tripod stance when feeding on tall foliage.

Natural selection appears to have favoured 2, 4, 6, 8, etc, limbs for land-based locomotion - I can't think of any that use 1, 3, etc - except maybe for snails, which have one "foot", though that can hardly be classified as a limb - I haven't seen any galloping snails, except in Guiness adverts!:D

Peter

I was also thinking of possible lifeforms on other planets, I don't think you'll find tripod creatures out there either. Even centipede and millipedes have even numbers of legs.

I haven't seen that Guinness ad, but I did find a snail on a bottle once.

inkpen3d
07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I was also thinking of possible lifeforms on other planets, I don't think you'll find tripod creatures out there either. Even centipede and millipedes have even numbers of legs.

I haven't seen that Guinness ad, but I did find a snail on a bottle once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7mQY-hU5dA

Red_Oddity
07-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey, thanks for the titles, i read all three books as a kid and wanted to reread them but forgot the titles.

I really liked, still have some of the 'images' in my head.

(strangely enough each book i read has his own 'cinematography' in my head)