PDA

View Full Version : Where is FiberFX?

Agpo
07-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Hello, can somebody tell me where to find FiberFX?
Is it better than Sasquash Lite?
Thanks,:D

Matt
07-18-2009, 09:40 AM
In Layout, go to the 'Windows' popup menu (near top left of UI) and pull down on 'Image Processing' (or press CTRL F8).

Under the 'Add Pixel Filter' popup menu, select 'FiberFilter'.

Double click the entry 'FiberFX' to bring up the FiberFX window. Select the object you want to add FiberFX to and click the 'Activate' button.

Click the space in the 'Draw' column next to the activated entry to see the results of your settings in the OpenGL window.

You can now mess about with the parameters.

TeZzy
07-19-2009, 01:41 AM
I have a had a horrible experience with FFX, I swear I will never use it again until it is fixed. Features that you need working doesn't work(as in not user error). Very unstable and not production ready at all

Costanel
07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm using it quite often. Haven't had real problems with it.
Saslite is more stable, but lacks a lot of functions FFX has.

bazsa73
07-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi,
It's not that bad, strange perhaps but the output looks pretty good. I used it also in production and though I had terrible crashes finally I found a way how to use it.
Some tips:
-FFX OpenGl preview should be avoided, use it only if necessary
example:
-you have some strands geometry created in modeler using FFX in layout, changing the strands' geometry while OpenGl is active will probably results in a crash.
-the subpatch geometry using FFX in layout must have the same display level as the render, otherwise it crashes
-when OpenGl is active for FFX the fibers probably will not display correctly as the update mechanism is leaky, so step one frame forward or backward to force FFX to update, (workarounf: switch off OpenGl)
-multi pass dithered motion blur works better than photoreal, the latter doesn't work with one pass
-render fur as a separate pass whenever it is possible
-multiple shadow caster lights result in a slow rendering time, use one main light for shadows while rendering fibers
I tested all shadow types and ray trace gives good results. shadow depth shouldn't be less than 12, it's absolutely personal preference, the optimal value depends always on the user and project
point sample is good also though interpolated is a bit crappy
-keep values low
-changing weight map values while OpenGl is active will result in a crash (most of the time)

Using long hair strands driven by ClothFX:
-long hair strips should keep some distance from the surface, it can be set on ClothFx collision panel

Layout generated FFX sometimes 'forgets' the combing settings you applied, I try to keep avoiding layout generated fur.
This should be the quick and dirty way but it caused me so much frustration that I always use strands geometry. for short fur of course layout side FFX is ok, but combing is somewhat unpredictable.
I hope it will help.
Good luck!

Sekhar
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Any of you got the add-node thing working? When I add a node to a guide, the fiber extends in length, but the node doesn't seem to get added. I.e., I'm not able to select any node other than "last." Please see my thread at http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=905744#post905744 for a picture of what I'm talking about.

TeZzy
07-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Of course I am not saying don't use it. If it works for you then it is all good.But if you fancy, try rendering your character at 100% and then render it again at 200%......see what happens because I know it wasn't what I expected