shrox
07-17-2009, 06:55 PM
A good man, now gone.

Silkrooster
07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Here here, I agree. He will be missed.

jwiede
07-17-2009, 10:06 PM
From my earliest memories, I remember his voice narrating all the historical events I watched on the news while growing up -- moon landings, the end of the Vietnam war, Watergate, you name it (and yeah, I know, I'm old). In our family, he was the news.

Cronkite and his peers brought such integrity, almost nobility, to the news back then. Most modern anchors and news journalists are so ridiculously craven in comparison, I can't even bear to watch. I was spoiled, brought up on the likes of Cronkite, Brinkley, and Chancellor.

He was a great man and a great newsman, and both America and journalism are lessened by his passing.

shrox
07-17-2009, 10:55 PM
...Cronkite and his peers brought such integrity, almost nobility, to the news back then...

I saw a headline that described him as "peerless". That is true.

DiedonD
07-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Ok, in no thanks to you Shrock, but to Jwiede, we now know who was this man that sadly passed away!

Bring in some added info next time. You cant expect the world to know what you know?

How about a picture before his passing?

JohnMarchant
07-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Sad day indeed

cresshead
07-18-2009, 04:03 AM
although i'm in u.k. i think most of the western world knows of Cronkite and probably some of the east too.

he was working in an era when the news wasn't driven just by ratings but by the news itself and the newsmen doing it 'right'.

thesedays the news seems to be put together like a cheap entertainment show or quizshow for the most of it.

SBowie
07-18-2009, 05:56 AM
thesedays the news seems to be put together like a cheap entertainment show or quizshow for the most of it. ...or an advertorial. Cronkite defined news reporting as it should be. Unfortunately, that sort of reportage seems to have predeceased him by a few decades. Dignity, class ... sometimes rare individuals are referred to as a "national treasure", but Cronkite transcended that. He was an international treasure.

shrox
07-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok, in no thanks to you Shrock, but to Jwiede, we now know who was this man that sadly passed away!

Bring in some added info next time. You cant expect the world to know what you know?

How about a picture before his passing?

It's the World Wide Web, you could look it up...I do. And remember, everything on the internet is true!!

(In my best Borat voice) Not!

SBowie
07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm not much of a CNN fan, but this piece is pretty good, and conveys a good deal about Cronkite's professionalism for those who aren't familiar with his legendary body of work:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/18/cronkite.thats.the.way.it.is/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

mattclary
07-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I grew up watching Cronkite, but think Walter may have not been all he was cracked up to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaS6bLQixkM

DiedonD
07-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Hmmm, a small scene of him was played on the movie of Thirteen Days with Kevin Costner, about the Cuba crisis didnt it?

lwaddict
07-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Will LA be paying out millions for the crowds of onlookers?

I'm all over EBay looking for my ticket to the funeral...what up?

Seriously though, he will be missed. I liked this guy.