PDA

View Full Version : Image map wont show full strength with Dielectric Node

icegiantnewtek
07-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi. I have a Dielectric Node problem. I am new to Nodes but am trying to learn as fast as possible.
I am trying to create a bottle of heineken using the Dielectric Node for the bottle glass and I want the bottle label on the glass.

I am trying to apply my bottle label to my Dielectric Node and I just canít get it to work. I can get the label to show up on the glass partially (see JPG no. 1) but I canít get it to show at full strength. I presume (correctly I hope) that I need to apply my alpha channel to the Absorption of the Dielectric Node to allow the full label colour to show through.

JPG 1: Just using the Color output from the Image. seeing if the built-in alpha from the Photoshop file would work
JPG 2: I tried plugging the Alpha of the Image Node into the Absorption of the Dielectric but it seems to remove all of the absorption revealing the orange beer colour of the the liquid inside the bottle.
JPG 3: I also tried plugging the Image Node directly to Colour channel of the Surface node but it doesnít pick up the Image at all.

P.S. I have also tried using a separate black and white jpg as an alpha channel but to no avail.

I have tried everything I can think of which is a bit limited I admit when it comes to Nodes, I have trawled through forums and video tutorials. I have learned lots about Nodes in the process which is great but I canít find the info I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IceGiant.

JeffrySG
07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Doing it that way will be like doing it as a type of stained glass. I would probably approach it the way it is in real life. Put a very thin piece of paper on top of the glass using the texture map and a mask to get the shape correct. Then they can be totally different materials. One for the glass - one for the paper label.

JeffrySG
07-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Or you could also try it with a material mixer:

One material for the glass, one for the label, and an alpha for the mixing... see pic...

icegiantnewtek
07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks a million Jeffry. The Material Mixer worked (see jpg). It is a better solution too as the label is printed onto the glass so it is the realistic option.

Your help is very appreciated as I have been trying to solve this problem for a few days now. Obviously I prefer to try to sort out problems myself before asking the Forums but with Nodes I just donít have enough experience yet. This post is another step in the right direction.

Thanks again.

IceGiant.

JeffrySG
07-17-2009, 10:18 AM
No problem. :)

That's looking much better now!

mike_stening
07-18-2009, 07:37 AM
i've been battling with that for ages now but now i see it it is soo simple.
though i have been just using a paper poly label as most are like that.
i' also assuming this would work with the carpaint node too as i was putting a decal on to it but had to mess around alot to get it to match correctly without changing the colour of the material.