PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about liquid in a glass

sublimationman
07-17-2009, 05:05 AM
I am going to make some champagne flutes with champagne in them. I will be using dielectric nodes for both the glass and liquid.

Should the liquid surface occupy the same plane as the inner glass wall or should it be a tiny fraction away?

In other words I will copy some of the inner wall to make the liquid, should I scale it down a minute amount or leave it so it and the glass touch?

Just curious which makes for more realistic look.

Thanks!

Nowhere Man
07-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Well, that's not a quick answer, but here You go:ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/glass.mov

This Proton's vid is showing both approaches, so You can see the difference (skip to the end for comparison; the 'non-scaled' option is said to be more realistic).

DrStrik9
07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I believe the same polygons should be used for the inside of the glass as the outside of the fluid, with no space between, if you are using the dielectric material node and want it to be accurate visually.

It may be more "interesting" looking with the space in between, but that can be accomplished other ways, with reflections, bump maps, flutes in the glass, etc., and be more realistic.

sublimationman
07-18-2009, 04:05 PM
OK thanks to both of you. Polys touching it is :-)